EFX " Chaining " / " Linking " ..... would this be a "hardware" -or- "software" [possible] feature ?

• Hey all

All the talk about running an EQ immediately before -or- immediately after a Comp to achieve a certain type of compression [in another thread] got me thinking.

=> can " EFX Chaining " be implemented in the current KPA hardware/software ?

EFX Chaining -> having a feature added in the KPA EFX menu that would allow you to " link " or " chain " [ say ] 2 effects [ say Chorus and Delay ] to each other and then assign that " single " chained or linked combined effect to one EFX Slot ?

Knowing nothing about how the KPA works and processes its effects, my guess is that this is purely a software / Firmware issue (?) ...... if it is a software/firmware issue, it seems like it would be a no-brainer for a future FW update ...... (?)

What do people think ?

Ben

• Hi Don

Sorry - not sure if that is the same thing (?) Can I please use an example to clarify - say I have:-

=> WAH in Slot A
    => COMP in Slot B
    => EQ in Slot C
    => PURE BOOST in Slot D

Then

=> I save these 4 EFX Slots as a stomps preset
    => and I call my stomps preset " 4 EFX IN ONE "

Can I then

=> assign my " 4 EFX IN ONE " stomp preset to EFX Slot A

And then

=> when I turn-on EFX Slot A [ either manually or via a midi FSW ] it will turn-on all 4 EFX at once ?

Is this how Stomp Presets work ?

Thanks,
    Ben

Edited 3 times, last by benifin ().

• Love this idea. I had a similar thought for a feature request some time back but I don't think it was this clear. You should request this. Solves many versatility hurdles if at all possible.. For example much requested multiple delays.

• If you have a MIDI controller that can transmit MIDI CC#16, you can do this.

The combination of Slots Status (On/Off/Empty) you save in the Rig will determine how the switch works.

MIDI CC Value Remarks
    16 Any Toggles all Stomps between On and Off setting. Select Type “Empty” to disable a slot completely.

If you SAVE the rig with A+B+C+D = On, the CC16 will turn them all off, and another button press will turn all of them back on.

If you SAVE the rig with A+B = On, and C+D = Off, the CC16 will turn A+B OFF, C+D ON, and a second press will turn A+B back ON, and C+D back OFF.

• Hi paults

Didn't know about that - very handy to know - many thanks :)

The EFX " chaining " option / idea however is different.

In short, chain / link / combine 2 or 3 or 4 efx's in whatever order you want ....... save them, as say, a stomp preset called, say, " 4 LINKED EFX " ....... then assign that stomp presert to, say, EFX Slot A.

This allows you to use way more than 4 effects in your 4 EFX Slots - for example:-

EFX Slot A = linked EQ + COMP

EFX Slot B = linked CHORUS + BOOST

EFX Slot C = linked GREEN SCREAM + FLANGER

EFX Slot D = linked DELAY + PITCH

Then either manually -or- via a midi FSW, you can turn each EFX Slot on/off as needed.

Really simple way to access more than 4 EFX Slot EFX even though there are only 4 EFX Slots.

I am sure the above wouldn't be too hard to program and implement and create menu screens and options for ....... however ........ I have no idea if the KPA hardware itself has the ability and/or horsepower to do this (?)

Maybe Don could advise (?)

I'm happy to submit it as a feature request, but if the KPA hardware itself cant do this, then its no point.

Ben

• I'm pretty sure there is a good reason for the limited amount of fx slots, most probably computational limits.. Your proposal, as it sounds to me, is just a complicated version of having more fx slots. So its probably not going to happen.

Although I would live to have dedicated additional fx slots for common effects like eq...

• not what you ask for, but instead of switching stomp pairs, make a Performance with the same rig in all slots and then add the stomp combinations you need, save the performance and switch between performance rigs.

personally, I think your idea of linking stomps to use more than four Stomps seems a little complicated and won't be nice to edit. It would also contradict the user interface which is nice and WYSIWYG in my opinion.