Opinions on "pure cabinet" option

• Under OS 3.1.2 we find the "pure cabinet" option in the output menu. I would like to get to know your opinions on this feature. I activated the option and use it with intensity on 7.5 and I like the difference. It seems for me that the tone sounds like "evened out" and smooth.
    What is your impression ?

• I didn't test it with a guitarcab, yet.
    Does "pure cabinet" also has an impact on this ?

I have played around with it using cab off through the monitor out to a guitar cabinet and the XLR main to some EV powered speakers. When listening to the cabinet and turning the pure cab on and off I could tell no difference. So based on this I would suggest that it does not apply to the cab off scenario. I do A/B back and forth between the FRFR and cabinet to see how close they are getting. The pure cab really helps smooth the sound out and get closer to the cabinet. It is not exact but it really makes it sound better in my opinion for the rigs I am using. I am still playing with settings and using somewhere between 5-7 right now.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• I tried the Pure Cab out and liked it at different values for different amps and gain settings. but found I liked some of my tones with it off. Some amps sound better to me with the mic on, more of a polished/finished sound I guess.

As for Hurricane's question: with Monitor Cabs off the Pure Cab should have no impact at all as the feature works inside the cab section of the Kemper.

• I tried the Pure Cab out and liked it at different values for different amps and gain settings. but found I liked some of my tones with it off. Some amps sound better to me with the mic on, more of a polished/finished sound I guess.

As for Hurricane's question: with Monitor Cabs off the Pure Cab should have no impact at all as the feature works inside the cab section of the Kemper.

..but it is within the Output-Section and there has an impact on the cab-sound, which is turned off, when you use a real cabinet (this makes sense to me).

• Although I'd sworn off beta firmware, curiosity got the best of me and I tried it out last night with my K550 headphones. It's funny how our hearing is so path-dependent. I would dial up a profile, play a bit and think it sounds perfect as-is, then I would turn Pure Cab on and the sound would become smoother, more pleasant but with less character. Then I would turn Pure Cab off and the profile would sound phasey and harsh, but with more character. I was practicing Limelight by Rush for my new band, and Pure Cab seemed to help capture the flat, midrangey tone that Alex Lifeson gets on that tune. I'll have to see how it sounds in rehearsal with my CLR this Friday before I decide. My initial thinking is that (a) while the effect may vary from profile to profile, with any given profile it seems like parametric EQ adjustments can get you similar results, and (b) this will probably be a useful effect if it can be turned on and off on a rig-by-rig basis.

• ..but it is within the Output-Section and there has an impact on the cab-sound, which is turned off, when you use a real cabinet (this makes sense to me).

My experience is the same as @bshaw92 had : with Monitor Out Cabs Off checked in the Output section and using the monitor out, Pure Cab does not affect it, meaning you can leave it on when using a real guitar cab and have the benefit going through the Mains, yet still have the raw Direct Amp sound going to the guitar cabinet (if you're using Merged profiles, of course. I'm not sure about Studio profiles and the Cab Driver algorithm, but will check tonight).

• Nothing definitive, but appears to be yes.

My checks have been with older rigs (studio profiles) that are not profiled separately or merged profiles.

• Cant deny I am impressed.And sure I dont like to stir trouble but I hardly can undersand how so many guys dont hear "any difference".Indeed I can now turn up again the presence without all the fizz.My lead sounds sound more "soulfull" and no rest of steril artifacts anywhere.

Hard to believe this can get any better. :thumbup:

• So far I have settled on keeping it at 5, but I am still playing with it
    I now have had practice with both my bands. And both of the other guitar players, in each band, wanted to know what I had done different because they thought it sounded better. As subtle as it is, It does sound more even and has a more "Cab in the room " feel

• I think it is a large difference. I have gone back to some other profiles that seemed too brittle originally and they are now usable. Definitely pleased with the function and also feel there have been other positive "silent" changes over the last several updates that have made the sound better.

• Returning to the factory presets I will admit that the pure cabinet does not "shine" like it does with most of my downloaded rigs (from TAF etc).Like it does not "get the grip" onto (most of) them.Hmm..need more time to figure this all out.