New Yamaha teasing: THR

• Those THRs are great! I had the small one, and I miss it. Actually sold it to get the Kemper.
    I still like the idea of the Kemper on the desk and the THR on the shelf in the living room.
    Got me the Blackstar Flies for that, cheaper and very good, too. But: The THRs rock!

Some pedals involved, but cool stuff here:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I must admit that I too like the idea of a "THR on the shelf in the living room".

The only demo I'd seen 'til now was the Mathias IA Eckhlund one where he plays it in a bar with the staff doin' maintenance (preparing for opening) in the background.

A second Kemper would be awesome for practice (in said room), but both it and a Helix just cost too much. Haven't seen the price of the Yammy, but have always assumed it'd be way, waaay cheaper.

• There are a number of small solid state amps that are fine for noodling at home. Fender and Orange have several.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Those THRs are great! I had the small one, and I miss it. Actually sold it to get the Kemper.
    I still like the idea of the Kemper on the desk and the THR on the shelf in the living room.

To me the THR 10 was a disappointment.
    It simply doesn't sound too good with the small speaker.
    For a cheap backup or practice amp the Fender Mustang III is MUCH better.
    IMO.

I'm trying to picture the M3 on the shelf in the living room... can't really do it without also seeing the inevitable mariticide taking place. ^^

My five cents on the matter (my opinion and the five cents get you exactly a nickel) is that THR, however hyped, to me is also a disappointment. I've had it right on my desk in front of me, right next to my Roland Microcube GX (the little one) and to my ear, apart from little more "space" coming out of the THR due to the stereo speaker setup, it had nothing on the Cube at all. At twice/thrice the cost, to me it's just not worth it. Maybe the PC software would make it better but out of the box, I could get much better toanz from the microcube.

Now, if you needed it to be a pc interface as well, well then it's just apples and oranges...

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• To me the THR 10 was a disappointment.
    It simply doesn't sound too good with the small speaker. For a cheap backup or practice amp the Fender Mustang III is MUCH better.
    IMO.

Funny and interesting how experiences differ. I read only good things about the Mustang and got me the head. That was when I was selling everything for the KPA. The Mustang should take me through the time of saving up money for the Kemper. It had all I needed for jamming and recording. But I hooked it up via USB and that was the thinnest sound I ever had. Tonelab, POD... all sounded way better at my computer. It is of course possible that live it sounds like pure cream, I never tested that.

But this shows again, that anyone has probably also different preferences and a different approach when judging profiles. In the end I think very much depends on the personal playing style (how hard you hit the strings etc.). Maybe even more than on guitars being used. If you find something that works for you in terms of playing style, you will make it sound. Then stick to it. One of the most pleasing feelings while playing I had when using a Tech 21 TRI AC + TC G-Sharp. And the latter was not very appreciated by many. To me one of the best crunch sounds + spring & tape echo ever. But then again I have to admit it has been ages since I played a real amp...

Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• There it is: Yamaha THR100 , a modeling...head that comes in two versions, single or dual head. And there are THR112 / THR212 cabs too.
    http://download.yamaha.com/sea…y_id3=&product_id=2112484

Two screenshots that say it all:

[Blocked Image: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/307209Pressepapiers3.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/190257Pressepapiers4.jpg]

Very different than the THR10/5. Not for me, I like the compact size of the 10, and I don't need 25/100W for my bedroom use.

• It looks cool! to me! And what we learn from it: Watch the manual area and you'll be up to date! Good job on that mate :thumbup:

"Very different than the THR10/5" "and I don't need 25/100W for my bedroom use"

There has been a lot of calls for a powerded version, so here they go. I can see myself having a closer look at the single. Maybe it works as a backup AND a poweramp for the KPA.

• Long short story. My amp is currently at Kemper for LED replacement, and my f***ing IIC+ is for repair.

So I decided to plug my THR5 and was amazed how it sounded great and how convenient it was.

No brainer, no tweaking, instant gratifying. Ok it NOT a Kemper, but I don't remember having so much fun at playing guitar since a while.

Thinking about profiling the MODERN mode with a SM57 + Fathead. Could be fun...

• It doesn't appear to have Aux IN (a miss if you ask me). Still you should be able to use the Loop return.

Yeah, probably mono only... I do not need any more gear to be honest. Still like the look from what I see in the manual though.