Doublefinder for RM

• Hi,

here's what I mean by that:

As anyone here I have 134000.000² profiles in folders within Rig Manager.
    And I have been so smart to rename many of them (simply to the amp and than numbers) so I am not influenced by author or commercial vs. free when choosing the right sound for a song.
    So far so good, I finally got lost. I think my number of profiles (and I'm really trying to get it down) has increased unnecessarily due to double profiles.
    For computer files there is (was?) a programm called doublekiller, that would find doubled e.g. pics by the metadata and list them. One can now delete what he thinks is redundant.

Now in RM the metadata that is editable must not be considered by such a hm... "doublefinder" since these might have been changed.
    Don't know if this is even or already possible. But I would be thankfully take use of it.

Cheers
    Alex

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

Edited once, last by Fireloogie ().

• Sry, Rig Manager of course. Manager. Rig Manager. 8| :rolleyes:
    Changed it above...

Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I understand the problem but there are simple techniques that will prevent most of the chaos.

Do not overwrite (the original) -> always save as "....", if you modify the settings and want to keep the new rig.
    Hold yourself to a rule how you rename your rigs and use the comment tag to document and if needed or liked add a "*" or whatever you choose to the new rig yourself.

I personally treat every rig, that I am messing with, as a "checked out" file version from a repository. If I intend to keep it I always put the pu-type and the source rig in the comment and add "ver xy". All original rigs stay "untouched" in their folders. I use the Kemper as my "working" directory. Once I am done with it, I put it a project folder.
    It may sound arrogant, but no software will prevent you from making a mess, if you do not bound yourself to some systematical way of editing and renaming files.

Personally I want control over what I do and I accept the responsibility for my mess-ups. I would not like RM to change the rig name in whatever way the programmers have decided to, just because I decided to put a comment in a tag, correct a typo or "align" some properties while the sound remains unchanged.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• I see the issue from a different POV: I'd want to be free to rename a modified version of a file, without touching the original name, with a name that is meaningful for me, and jave a way to go back to (or to hint at ) the parent profile or any ancestors.

does this make sense? :)

• It may sound arrogant, but no software will prevent you from making a mess, if you do not bound yourself to some systematical way of editing and renaming files. (...)

I totally agree to that, and I do have found (finally) a way of organising my profiles in a way that works for me. It does not seem too different from yours by what I read, with the big difference that I also like to rename things to my liking.

I keep any profile I downloaded sorted outside RM (due to the 2 folder limitation). This sorting will keep me from downloading things twice, because the source and the names of packs or whatever remain untouched within this structure. From here: > RM: Rename, tag > KPA.

Now from time to time I might go back to the "megaarchive" and see if something else works for me. That is where such a feature comes into play. So, I guess, the need for it depends on renaming or not renaming your profiles totally. I personally like the simplicity at the front end: "Marshall JCM 800". :)

Cheers
    Alex

• I see the issue from a different POV: I'd want to be free to rename a modified version of a file, without touching the original name, with a name that is meaningful for me, and jave a way to go back to (or to hint at ) the parent profile or any ancestors.

does this make sense? :)

It does but - logically you cannot rename a file without touching its name. You can always decide to "sacrifice" a tag you don't use though and put the new name there - OR copy the "source name" into a tag and rename the rig however you like.

That brings me back to one of my few feature requests: user defined tags and improved searching.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Curious, Alex. What is this limitation you speak of?

Sry mate, should habe been 3 instead of 2 I guess. It is regarding the limit of folders you can add in RM in deep structure under the main folder. (Or am I doing something wrong?)

This is how I sort profiles right now (still cannot post pix directly) and there are 6 levels as you can see:

[Blocked Image: http://www.bilder-upload.eu/thumb/c57b2d-1440415117.png]

I think this is a good starting point if one is fresh to the KPA. Collect all freebies at first to see which you like, than go purchase some. Or simply find where the guys got their focus on.

• It does but - logically you cannot rename a file without touching its name. You can always decide to "sacrifice" a tag you don't use though and put the new name there - OR copy the "source name" into a tag and rename the rig however you like.

That brings me back to one of my few feature requests: user defined tags and improved searching.

So you agree that a utility able to return a file's ancestors would make sense? :)