Applications for MIDI transmission – user feedback requested

• When the unit shuts down, it doesn't remember the settings of the midi clock output (system menu), so every time this has to be redone after startup. Is this bug known already and fixed? (sorry, really have no time to read all the forum message about this).

Thanks!

• When the unit shuts down, it doesn't remember the settings of the midi clock output (system menu), so every time this has to be redone after startup. Is this bug known already and fixed? (sorry, really have no time to read all the forum message about this).

Thanks!

That should be fixed in 3.1.3.

• <p>I use an eventide h9 and line6 m5 in loop. In need to regularly move rigs from one slot in one performance to other performances. I wish the slot settings would follow the moves. Rather it seems that the slot settings are fixed so that when I copy and paste a rig, it retains the midi settings that were in the slot.&nbsp;</p>

• In other words if performance three slot 4 is one rig with messages sent to my devices, if I copy it and paste it in performance 7 slot 2, the rig and all its effects copy fine, but the midi slot settings don't, I'm stuck with whatever the slot settings were in perf 7 slot two were before I copied my rig there

• <p>I use an eventide h9 and line6 m5 in loop. In need to regularly move rigs from one slot in one performance to other performances. I wish the slot settings would follow the moves. Rather it seems that the slot settings are fixed so that when I copy and paste a rig, it retains the midi settings that were in the slot.&nbsp;</p>

In other words if performance three slot 4 is one rig with messages sent to my devices, if I copy it and paste it in performance 7 slot 2, the rig and all its effects copy fine, but the midi slot settings don't, I'm stuck with whatever the slot settings were in perf 7 slot two were before I copied my rig there

OH MY GOSH YES!!! I completely forgot about this. When moving around performances or individual rigs, MIDI PCs should follow that performance slot. Or at least the option for it to follow. Maybe a confirm dialog that says "Move MIDI settings?" as well if any MIDI devices are enabled. Ideally, it would show what the old settings are vs. the settings in the slot you're copying/moving/swapping to.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Two external Strymon pedals. Love to see pc sending in browse mode and attached to a loop. This way the loop gets saved with appropriate pc changes or combos instead of entire new rigs

• This might be stupid ,but i am new to the midi world.

I would love to have 2 menus "learn switch" "learn expression"

The first can be used with a simple switch when an incoming signal comes from a midi so that the kpa can learn and remember the function you assign to the specific midi value .
    Something like :
    -Press a key in your midi device.
    -Select a function (stomp, up,down,or record a macro)
    -Save?

The "expression learn" can help with pedals ,so you can customize any pedal or knob to mix anything you can mix with the knobs in the profiler (drive, delay,reverb,etc.)

So the only thing you need is to assign different midi channels to your devises (no more ripwex) .

I hope i'm not too simplistic . :/

• Both can be assigned on your MIDI controller via CC values. This is why nearly every MIDI-controlled device has a MIDI reference table in their manuals, not a free-standing control schema. Certain CC values are "common," like volume is CC7. See here: http://nickfever.com/music/midi-cc-list These are the default computer-implemented MIDI codes. Any manufacturer can implement whatever they want, however they want, but by making the MIDI CC list dynamic in nature, you're looking at additional memory overhead and potentially increased latency of response.

That said, certain controllers (I'm looking at you, Line 6 stuff) have really, really bad MIDI specs that cannot be changed. Something like this would be an awesome solution for someone upgrading from a Line 6 HD500X to a Kemper, where the MIDI spec works, but CC's are sent on every patch change, and being able to ignore them would be great. Some of the older Line 6 stuff, like the X3, just doesn't even work with the Kemper except for patch changes. The Delay CC changes Reverb, and Reverb changes to the next patch, for example. This would be a nice solution to fix that, that is, if they can do something along these lines AND keep the latency low.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky

• I currently have multiple pedals for purposes such as midi-control of mixing-console and lighting rig. These could be handled through the KPA with programmable CC sequences sent for performance/slot as well as an ability to assign CC sequences globally (independent of perf/slot or browse/perf-mode) for optional foot-switches connected to the KPA-remote.

• Hi,

I really appreciate the fact that the KPA now sends midi clock to both midi output ports. I hooked up a Mobius Strymon modulation pedal. For some sounds, I want the modulation pedal to follow the midi clock (e.g. Tremelo). For other sounds, I don't... because the clock is sometimes too high and I want a real slow modulation cycle (for example Eddie Van Halen's phaser settings).

Unfortunately, this seems impossible with the KPA. I turned on the "send midi clock" system setting, and the clock is ALWAYS transmitted, even if the tempo is disabled in the rig. Would it please be possible to NOT send the midi clock when the rig TEMPO is disabled? It doesn't have any sense IMHO.

Another solution could be to make the "send midi clock" parameter a patch (performance slot) setting, instead of a system setting.

Cheers!

• Unfortunately, this seems impossible with the KPA. I turned on the "send midi clock" system setting, and the clock is ALWAYS transmitted, even if the tempo is disabled in the rig. Would it please be possible to NOT send the midi clock when the rig TEMPO is disabled? It doesn't have any sense IMHO.

This has already been addressed now in the upcoming version. If the tempo is disabled in a performance/rig, the MIDI clock does stop. Does the Strymon needs Start/Stop as well?

• This has already been addressed now in the upcoming version. If the tempo is disabled in a performance/rig, the MIDI clock does stop. Does the Strymon needs Start/Stop as well?

Great, Cheers! No idea if the Mobius needs stop/start, but probably it will...

• I don't think Strymon pedals need a stop bit sent. I think it actually adjusts every time a clock "tick" hits the device. If it stops, then so does any tempo adjustment. That said, I'm sure this is probably already done, but, when switching presets, clock should stop before changing presets, then resume if the tempo is enabled on the next preset. This way, if the pedal's preset (I'm thinking primarily of pedals like the Timeline and Mobius) has a set tempo, you don't want that overwritten by one last errant "tick."

• I don't know if this is the thread since i only work in browse mode. But i would like midi out to delay all messages by aprox 100ms since all other midi gear i have reacts much faster than the kpa.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• I don't know if this is the thread since i only work in browse mode. But i would like midi out to delay all messages by aprox 100ms since all other midi gear i have reacts much faster than the kpa.

That's strange - my KPA updates just as quickly as 3 other devices I have running. I'm using an RJM Mastermind GT controller, which is controlling a Kemper, an RJM Mini Effect Gizmo (basically a MIDI true bypass pedal switcher), and two Strymon pedals (Timeline and BigSky). It's nearly instant on all 3 devices - at least instant enough that, as soon as I tap a preset, there's no perceivable delay on anything.

Browse mode is a little slower than performance mode though, which is what I use. You might want to consider loading up some of your favorite rigs in performance mode.

• How about a CC midi send "effect" that can be loaded into an effects slot so it can be controlled by and status reflected on the remote? I know many people want to be able to send CC independently of the patch, but the remote switches are set up to reflect and control effects slots which is what I think is keeping Kemper from being able to provide external CC control from the remote... Hey Kemper you said the remote would be a "Midi Octopus" this would make that a reality with 8 effects slots.

The other option is to let us have a parameter to control via one or all of the external inputs on the remote. ie: instead of just being able to control effects slots, reverb tails, rig up/down etc. I could select "send external CC and then assign one or more CC commands. PLEASE PLEASE help me control my external devices from my Kemper Remote!

• That's strange - my KPA updates just as quickly as 3 other devices I have running. I'm using an RJM Mastermind GT controller, which is controlling a Kemper, an RJM Mini Effect Gizmo (basically a MIDI true bypass pedal switcher), and two Strymon pedals (Timeline and BigSky). It's nearly instant on all 3 devices - at least instant enough that, as soon as I tap a preset, there's no perceivable delay on anything.

Browse mode is a little slower than performance mode though, which is what I use. You might want to consider loading up some of your favorite rigs in performance mode.

I can't go Performance mode. With all the different situations i gig in, different constellations, substitute gigs etc etc i would need over 50 performances and i would never be able to remember where to find a certain sound.

• I can't go Performance mode. With all the different situations i gig in, different constellations, substitute gigs etc etc i would need over 50 performances and i would never be able to remember where to find a certain sound.

You're thinking about Performance Mode too hard. You have PC #'s set up for the rigs you want to use in Browse mode, right? You just assign them to the same PC #'s in Performance Mode. Bam - instant speed boost. You don't have to use it on a song-by-song basis, or even use the Kemper's logical grouping of 5 slots. You do what you want.

• You're thinking about Performance Mode too hard. You have PC #'s set up for the rigs you want to use in Browse mode, right? You just assign them to the same PC #'s in Performance Mode. Bam - instant speed boost. You don't have to use it on a song-by-song basis, or even use the Kemper's logical grouping of 5 slots. You do what you want.

Oh that's cool. Thanks man. I didn't consider that at all. I will ofcourse do that. And the great thing is that i can't f..k anything up because i can always use browse mode untill things are playing nice in performance mode.