Bias Head

• I think that these days, workflow is everything. If the KPA team doesn't come up with an editor soon, Bias Head will be serious competition. If it's comparable in sound quality, of course :)

I think an editor is nice but I find the Kemper very easy to edit from the front panel.

I actually think workflow is everything for some people. But look at tube amps and analog tape - they sound better and some people are willing to sacrifice workflow for sound. If Bias doesn't sound as good then people will still be using their Kemper. After all why not go and use Guitar Rig right now? I can answer that right now...;)

• Plugins are something different, there are already a lot of great amp-plugins on the market. Not cheap, but very good f.e. UAD: Softube Amp-Bundle, Marshall Plexi, Engl Bundle, Friedman, Chandler ect.

The Kemper is just a different tool, you can handle it like a real amp, because it's stand-alone anyway. And not to forget: no plugin is able to profile real amps.... ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• True, but if they do what line 6 did with POD farm, they will appeal to the producer who likes to use software plugins. All they have to do is create a plugin that would run all the dsp inside the Kemper hardware. You must connect the KPA VIA USB and that would be the dongle and protection against piracy. I would love that feature. I actually think it's a great idea, my guess is that it would generate additional sales to Justify the effort, because it would start competing with all plugins directly. For someone using the plugin, they can compare in the same project how the kemper will sound without having to fool around with re amping and connections.

but someone would still hack it :) at least this way our investment is safe

• Also why is everyone obsessed with re-amping? Just choose a sound and record it.

In fact, talking about workflow, I think that re-amping is bad for your workflow as you find yourself endlessly auditioning amp sounds rather than finishing off the song. Treat the Kemper like a nicely mic'd amp - pick your sound and record.

• but someone would still hack it :) at least this way our investment is safe

If the PC or mac isn't being used for DSP and the Kemper DSP is being used, no one can hack it.

Have you ever heard of UA plugins being hacked and someone is actually running them without the UA card. If you buy the UA card and have it connected, someone might be able to hack and open up other plugins, but still someone has to have purchased the audio interface and without a card, you will never get any UA plugins.

Edited 2 times, last by Dean_R ().

• Why do you think an editor is necessary for the Kemper?
    I think editing cannot get much easier.
    The KPA mostly works like an actual amplifier. I like it that way.

Maybe for you, but recall and editing is what kids these days are used to. I'm not saying I like that workflow, or that it's better. I'm just saying that I believe it's very important for a product to have an editor. I might be wrong, of course.

• Obviously, I am not understanding work-flow as it is being used in this discussion, nor some of the other terms.
    From what I gather after seeing the video on this Bias thing, I gather that it is a computer program and that they are about to introduce a stand-alone unit as the KPA toaster is.

Since I have no home computer, I cannot relate to the software excitement, or the "hack" thing you all are discussing. What do you mean by "hack" in this context?

From the idiot point-of-view, I don't understand the excitement of this upcoming unit yet. Is it not some type of copy of the KPA? It looks like it to me. Does it need to be hooked up to a computer to get the Bias toaster thing to work?

For those of you who have tried the Bias sounds, does it sound any better then a KPA? I cannot imagine how it can possibly sound better then what I have heard from a KPA so far, and I have not scratched the surface, compared to many here. What am I missing?

• Maybe for you, but recall and editing is what kids these days are used to. I'm not saying I like that workflow, or that it's better. I'm just saying that I believe it's very important for a product to have an editor. I might be wrong, of course.

Editors are not for kids only. It's been established by most of the Kemper community based on my quick reading that an editor is needed. If KPA doesn't produce and editor at some point, then it's lagging behind. The user interface is nice but if studios and everyone is using computer software (DAWs) to record, it's a no brainer that an editor is desperately needed.

• Well I think its a bit obvious where they got the idea for the shape of their head. Although I'm not worried about the competition, I'm sure they will take a bit of the market of some of the less serious guitar players if the price point is lower.

The fact is that a profiler/emulator/tonematcher or whatever, can't really sound better than the kemper, since the kemper is the actual tone of the amp. Also I'm sure they could develop more the profiling feature and be able to really profile anything in the future. I heard the tone match feature in some video and I really was not impressed by Bias...

Anyway, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

• If the PC or mac isn't being used for DSP and the Kemper DSP is being used, no one can hack it.

Have you ever heard of UA plugins being hacked and someone is actually running them without the UA card. If you buy the UA card and have it connected, someone might be able to hack and open up other plugins, but still someone has to have purchased the audio interface and without a card, you will never get any UA plugins.

I thought you meant use it like an Ilok dongle, I would have thought latency would be an issue here if using USB as transmit info two and from the PC and KPA

• Editors are not for kids only. It's been established by most of the Kemper community based on my quick reading that an editor is needed. If KPA doesn't produce and editor at some point, then it's lagging behind. The user interface is nice but if studios and everyone is using computer software (DAWs) to record, it's a no brainer that an editor is desperately needed.

I agree 100%

• It's been established by most of the Kemper community based on my quick reading that an editor is needed.

I disagree - Many people have indicated the KPA is designed well enough to not need a full-blown editor program. I think it may not be a majority of Kemper users (for that matter, the majority of Kemper users are not frequent users of this website).

Personally, I would like them to release enough MIDI documentation to let someone else create an editor, and put their efforts into surprises for all of us :)

• No doubt it's designed well but I'm referring to the most recent editor request thread where most people chimed in in this community indicating it's a given that it's hard to argue against an editor so I won't rehash the obvious benefits. I just bought the KPA about 2 weeks ago and I was in disbelief that it didn't have an editor. I Love the user interface but you don't come across many digital devices that don't have editors, at least it saves wear an tear on the knobs.

Anyway, I think the editor has already started and the beginning was rig manager. Updates to rig manager will turn it into a full blown editor in time. ;)

• I would guess this is a hardware accessory to the Bias app, you probably plug your iPad or iPhone into this thing, and your iOS device will do the processing. So the editor already exists because it's the app that's already on the market.

To put it in somewhat denigrating terms, this is an audio interface with a speaker. Still looks good though, lots of physical controls which I like, and if you've already bought the app maybe it wouldn't be that expensive.

All wild conjecture ;)

• For those of you who have tried the Bias sounds, does it sound any better then a KPA? I cannot imagine how it can possibly sound better then what I have heard from a KPA so far, and I have not scratched the surface, compared to many here. What am I missing?

If you own a Kemper you're not missing anything! ;)

People just like to check on new toys even when they already have all what they need!

• YouTube video:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

From their website:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NEW KIND OF AMP
    Hardware and software beautifully integrated, BIAS Head allows you to design and match any amp tone on the fly, share and download amp profiles in the cloud, and use that massive tone on a full-blown 600w RMS power amp..

AMP MATCH AND TONECLOUD.
    BIAS Head comes with Amp Match® technology, which lets you precisely match the nuanced tone of any classic, modern or boutique amp and load custom cab and mic responses. You can share or download thousands of amp profiles from ToneCloud.

INSANE POSSIBILITIES
    The world’s first cross-platform guitar amplifier, BIAS Head integrates seamlessly with BIAS Amp for mobile and desktop use: you can design your custom amp and create Amp Match profiles in real time.

AMP MATCH
    Amp Match® technology precisely matches the nuanced tone of any classic, modern or boutique amp and loads custom cab and mic responses. There are hundreds of professional studio engineers and artists creating Amp Match profiles you can download.
    ------------------------------------------------

So, Positive Grid manages to use the term "Profile" on four (4) separate occasions, during the span of their short, one-page introductory (launch) webpage.

Oh, and the head comes with built-in 600W amp. It's even shaped like a lunch-box.

:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().