Show your latest guitar

• Duesenberg are made in Germany.

Thanks for a brilliant write up, you describe my TV Starplayer way better than I ever could, the P90 Through ToneFactorys Clean Champ profile to die for, it is the sound I'd been searching for through quite a few Fender Valve amps. I've got Fender Strats, Tele's, Gibson LP, Musicman and Axis Supersport But I just keep coming back to my Deusey.

P.

• Nice guitar, @db9091! Can it be played unplugged as well?

Yes, but it's not as loud as a usual semi because it only has 1 F-hole and it has a rather HUGE block running down the center that is what gives it such sustain.

But resonance is there for sure.

I can literally use that whammy on sustained feedback and ring it all day long. Never could do that with any semi I've owned before. Their Bigsby system is fantastically intelligent engineering.
    My Thorn is similar in ability, but a huge bear to tune and no where near the feedback because it's solid body.

Anyone who says on forums this doesn't have hollow body feedback isn't cranking the volume and standing next to their amp. The overtone harmonics are such I can almost play a song riding the tremelo. Ever heard of that or done that before?!? Truth be told, it's more like horror music, Sabbath style, haha.

Edited once, last by db9091 ().

• I was unaware the EBMM Axis ever had a different construction than a basswood body and maple cap. I know the Sterling line uses different wood (and maple veneer), but the cheaper OLP's used basswood as well with a photo flame top.

This is "Swamp Ash", so yeah, the Super Sport basswood just doesn't ring the same to my ears. I've owned 1 MM90 and 2 humbucker Super Sports. Sold them all. Grab one from the 90's. Or better, grab an EVH Ernie Ball if you can.

• That looks like a smaller white[blue] falcon on steroids. I dont know who started the MYTH that guitars made in Indonesia or Korea are less quality builds (almost racist) . They get them to build "lesser" versions of the high end guitars so what, they still make it as good as it would be made in the USA etc, thats what they are asked to build and they build it with out compromise.

looks great man, there are a few "hollow" body rigs around too, bet thats gonna sound killer for blues and rockabilly.

Ash

This can do Rockabilly on the middle setting, P90 and middle can both do blues well, the bridge is a rocker, the P90 is superb for Jazz. It's a jack-of-all-trades and not really a compromise. They sound really good.

The middle doesn't sound best on high distortion, so it's not, like the Tele, able to play every profile. But it's definitely dripping with tone.

If I was told this guitar was made in China and it sustained, stayed in tune, played low action w/o buzz, and dripped mid-tones all over the place, what's NOT to like?

And for those online who complain about the price, I have to pay $3600 for a Fender Custom shop and the one I had was CRAP compared to the 2 American's I've owned. Sure, their finish was stellar, but their stability of action and tuning comes down to wood and Fender just gives you wood w/o testing and matching neck to body density like boutique places do.

Duesenberg just runs the block down the middle, problem... solved, haha.

• This is "Swamp Ash", so yeah, the Super Sport basswood just doesn't ring the same to my ears. I've owned 1 MM90 and 2 humbucker Super Sports. Sold them all. Grab one from the 90's. Or better, grab an EVH Ernie Ball if you can.

I have a '96 Axis, which is the year after the EVH and from what I've seen has the same exact specs. I actually prefer the modern neck and construction over the EVH.

• You got a nice one then. The EVH are just better investments price-wise.

So far, neck-wise, my favorite is the Thorn. I need a little more spacing. But the short scale of the Axis' are bending monsters. So easy to play.

Lately I've been re-thinking my use of Slinky strings. I'm going to try D'Addario to see if it records less sloppy (jangly? IDK the word)

What strings do you prefer on yours, MementoMori?

• @db9091 The Axis guitars actually have a 25.5" (Fender) scale length as opposed to the Gibson 24.75" short scale. I think what makes them feel more playable than your average Fender is a slightly smaller neck width (1-5/8" as opposed to 1-11/16"), and a thinner neck without being flat. That and the medium frets on it help you keep the action super low. It's also quite possible that the bridge is slightly closer than normal to the nut which would reduce some string tension because they are very easy to bend.

As for my strings, I've been using the Ernie Ball Cobalt 10-46. I went with them due to high output, but I don't know that I've ever put on a pair of strings that I noticed loving or hating.

• MementoMori,

I think my luthier mentioned it being "shorter" he must have meant string length, because we were talking about ease of bending.
    I hadn't thought about the actual neck scale.

My experience with Ernie Ball slinkys are that they aren't as stiff as other brands. So on Fenders they bend real easy, but on the Axis they're like rubber. Chrome is probably stiffer.

I tend to go in the other direction, full on Nickel for a softer tone. I read those were the only type of strings in the 50's 60's if that's true? IDK. McCartney said they used to snip piano wires in High School for guitar strings in the 50s.

• Uh Oh.

I'm pining for this:

http://www.thornguitars.com/customguitarhtm/D58-specs.htm

I sold a bunch a stuff to pay for the Duesenberg and now have an extra $1k (and much more that I can sell to get this one)

I heard Emerson Swinford play the demo and I'm hooked, how can you NOT be?!?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• [Blocked Image: http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r704/jimmyrage/4C72F10B-EB07-4832-88AF-3FF6810C5DF3_zpsetticcjj.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r704/jimmyrage/7463896F-4B63-484D-B76E-ABAB0660578C_zpssdubh4aw.jpg]

Madness! I can barely handle six strings!

Still, after playing it a bit, I find it's not too hard to fret the whole thing. And if I tune it funny, I can do some incredibly weird stuff. I think this will be my main metal guitar, probably trade one of my six strings for another one so I can quad track on my demo. Wish I had got it earlier, now I have to re-record DIs for 10 songs :/

• Weird to edit text on the phone when pix are there, they keep getting deleted. Some important info ommitted.

It's an Ibanez RG2228. A prestige model. This is the same thing that Tosin Abadi used before he got his own signature models.

Pickups have been upgraded to an EMG 57-8 and 66-8.

Seller there in two sets of free strings and some other assorted stuff. I even bought a stomp box from him, a Seymour Duncan 805 tube screamer because he gave me a good deal.

[Blocked Image: http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r704/jimmyrage/2F22B7B8-29FC-4FCA-91D4-DB1D565D48C9_zpsazo3vmrw.jpg]

• That's madness, AJ. LOL

I grew up on 4 strings as a bass player. If I'd seen your beast back then I'd have had a heart attack or a brain melt-down.

Congrats mate. Definitely looks the biz, man.

It is a bit much and I spent the whole day wrestling with it to try and figure out whether it was a keeper. One thing I was really surprised about was how nice the EMGs sound, but I was able to get my other Ibby to sound better when I blended in some piezo signal. Still, it's interesting to have an extended range guitar with a much longer scale length than I'm used to. I've now decided that I'm not going to buy any more guitars for a while, two in a year is one too many by my reckoning. As soon as I figure out which ones are not getting much play time, I'll hock them.

• I've been recording with all my guitars (to kind of compare feel and sitting in the mix) and the thing that really stands out is the Thorn and Deusenberg need nothing after recording.
    They just always work.

They just sit in the mix and sing their parts.

All I do is sometimes put a little delay with reverb to have them hang a bit in the air, but otherwise, just picking really good sounding amps
    (my favs seem to be Fenders: Bassman, Deluxe 68 with the occasional Marshall JTM45 when using the LP)

Man, I bet the Kemper out a 4x10 would sound delicious over my 2x12 for such cleans. What do Bassman have, Jensens? Eminence? I'll have to look it up.

But anyways, while the Kemper brought amp recording into such ease, it wasn't until I got that Thorn that i really loved my guitar sound, and now paired with the Deusenberg, it's just more variety of wow.

I put the same pair of Deusenberg pickups into a locally made guitar, wired to give the Humbucker full due in the middle position and it also sounds great. Superb pickups to drop into your guitar if you think they are lacking something. The PAF is a very good classic HB and the P90 is delicious. Together, another flavor of goodness.