Crazy 'bout these loud cracks!

• I've read here and there that more people are dealing with this problem, but I'm getting really crazy about these random loud cracks while playing. Tried some 'solutions' like turning off cabs, lowering input gain, output gain, whatever. Does someone have a definitive solution for this very irritating blasts?

Thanks fellow musicians!

• check clean sense set it that when you play hard the input led goes yellow
    check rig volume output led should not get red when played hard
    you can change the rig volume best in the amp or cab section
    this should help

• Had the same exact issues at rehearsal tonight. Checked everything possible. It does it mainly on the clean preset, and also when changing rigs in performance mode. Probably going to revert back to a previous firmware until it is fixed. Starting to fear something getting blown.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.”

• Very tough to record as it is random. Never know when it occurs, but when it does it is a preset change from Clean to Distorted and sometimes Distorted to Lead.

I turned off effects one at a time until I felt that the problem was located. Best I could tell is that it is in the Eq block. I always use a graphic Eq in slot X to carve the final sound. The volume for the Eq is at its lowest (-5.0) and still the clean sound will "pop" on occasion.

Now I did recognize the "pop" comes when playing a note hard or a strong strum. However, the input is not clipping. It is the output. I tried turning the rig volume down to nearly nothing and still it would appear at random. My Eq settings are modest, because I believe in deductive Eq rather than boosting. On this rig in particular everything is cut except for the 2500 hz which is boosted at 5.0. But I have compensated for that boost with a -5.0 in Eq volume.

Still confused? Cause I am.

Thanks for helping us Don

• Hello guys,
    Thanks also for the kind replies. Today I have been trying different things as suggested in other threads. It's very hard to get the 'explosions' here at home, 'cause they only happen during gigs and rehearsals. But I have now been fiddling with the powerboost setting. Lowered it quit a bit and 'though I can't say for sure (I can't play as loud as I do with a rehearsal), perhaps it could have had something to do with it. I have the Behringer pedalboard 1010 (with the special eprom) that I also suspected of causing the problem. But again, I can't figure it out. I'll keep you informed if it works ok now.

Thanks!

• I went back to the previous firmware release instead of the new Beta. Still had the issue, although not as significant. Next step will be to lower some internal volumes (i.e. amp and cab). Hoping this will fix it, but not reduce the sound quality I am achieving now.

• Did more research. It is in effect slot X. When the Eq I mentioned before is on, there will be a sudden and loud spike to the output. If I move the very same Eq to stomp C, there is no problem. Something odd and internal is going on. Would like to hear some ideas of a solution and not an answer regarding clean sense, rig volume or output volume. Because I have turned all of this down to nearly nothing and it still happens.

• You must be boosting either the volume or a frequency in an extreme manner in the EQ, that'll be causing the output to occasionally clip. It won't happen in Stomp C because the Stack will compress it, whereas in X there's no buffer to tame it.

Edit : just read your post with the EQ settings. Even though you compensate for the boost by taking the overall level down, it still might be possible to clip the output with such a peak, depending on the settings in the Stack and the overall frequency shape of the Rig.

• I am also wondering if the position of my external loop might also be the issue. It is located in effect Mod and goes directly to a Decimator Pro Rack G. I am going to try and find out if the boost may be coming from how it is being processed within the Decimator. I do have the ability in that unit to reduce the output level on return and I have a good feeling that might be the issue.

I like the idea of adjusting the Eq. However, I did that several times yesterday including lowering every level 5.0 db in proportion to the Eq curve. Still got the same clip. So that is leading me to believe it has something to do with the loop and the Decimator.

Going to give it another check on Saturday.

Thanks

• More testing done over the weekend. I did manage to get the clean and rhythm sound to stop clipping, but the lead preset will clip only when I switch to it.

I rechecked what I had adjusted and/ or removed from previous sounds. The most common thing missing from my new sounds would be the compressor. I wanted to steer away from using the compressor as much as possible, but I have to believe its lack of existence in the chain is the cause.

I am going to try and add it back at the amplifier level and find out if that can be used rather than occupying another slot with the compressor stomp.

Will keep you posted on the results.