Beginner question-What do I need for playing in my bedroom/living room?

• Hello,

I am planning on getting a Kemper sometime in the near future and I have a few questions that you can maybe answer. Is it possible to plug the Kemper into my Logitech speakers or just plug headphones directly into the amp? Would it be better to get the powered version or the non-powered version? How many additional pieces of equipment do I need to purchase to be able to play through a speaker? Does the Kemper sound good at low levels or should I stay away form it if I just want it for bedroom/living room use?

Thanks in advance.

• Hi
    its great on headphones, thats all you need
    If you buy a non powered Version you need an active Cabinet
    or power amp and a cabinet.
    Its also great with small studio monitors which you get for small money nowadays
    For home use Headphone is absolutely ok, then you could go for a non powered
    Version

• Thanks! So if I want to play loud or play for my girlfriend/friends/family I need an active cabinet? Can I just plug the avtive cab into the Kemper? How much would an active cab cost me?

• A quality studio monitor should cost you just a few hundred, plenty of great reviews and recommendations here on the forum if you do a search. Get studio quality headphones as well.

• Welcome qumega,

if those Logitech speakers are active (can you switch them on\off?) they will work. The quality of the sound you'll get will depend on their own quality.

Think of the Kemper like any CD player ;)

• Welcome qumega,

if those Logitech speakers are active (can you switch them on\off?) they will work. The quality of the sound you'll get will depend on their own quality.

Think of the Kemper like any CD player ;)

No they are not active. I was just browsing some other threads and I still don't know if I should get one or two monitors. If I am just playing close to the monitors in my living room, are a pair of KRK RP6 RoKit G3 or M-Audio BX8 D2 good enough?

• Hi and welcome. I use krk rokits rp 6 g3 . More than enough power, a godd bass because they go from 35 hz up to 35000 hz, no subwoofer needed and perfect sound for the money. Bought some 3 month old second hand absolutely like new out of the box, with full warranty on ebay for 280€. Great deal.

cheers
    Frank

• If the cabs are passive you'll need a power amp. This might be the one included in a powered Kemper, or an external one which feed the Profilere's output in.

You made mention of an amp, I assume it's a guitar amp. If this is the case, you can use its Return socket (if any?) to send the Profiler's signal into.

A linear system (like studio monitors) and a guitar system (your amp) will sound rather different from each other.

If I were you, I'd buy a passive Profiler and start using my amp.then I'd explore some very good studio monitors if you are not fully satisfied of using your amp.
    Keep in mind that a guitar cab will unavoidably impart a strong sonic signature to all the rigs\patches, while a good linear system will let you hear any nuances of each rig\profile. I'd mention here that many pro-level players are perfectly ok with using a guitar cab :)

HTH

• I already sold the amp and I bought a Amplifire (didn't have enough money for a Kemper :( ). I am planing on getting two KRK RP6 RoKit G3 near-field monitors for my living room. What do you think? Will they be sufficient for living room use?

• I already have Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones that I really like. I will browse the forum for some active speakers. Thanks for your help.

I also have the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohm. But i dont use them so much because i like the drive at bedroomlevel from the active krk's.
    I also have a poweramp with a real mesa boogie 2 x12 v30. But this it not for playing at bedroom level
    This setup is for live or for the neighbours ;)
    Next thing is , if you have an unpowered kpa, you can use a active frfr, this is very fkexible for playing at home and also for live giging.
    For that i play a rcf 10 nano sma. This is much more comfortable to carry and it has 400 watts. More than enough.
    If you have the chance, check it out before you buy something blind.
    Taste is different and also the prices.

cheers
    Frank

• I already sold the amp and I bought a Amplifire (didn't have enough money for a Kemper :( ). I am planing on getting two KRK RP6 RoKit G3 near-field monitors for my living room. What do you think? Will they be sufficient for living room use?

They will certainly be enough volume-wise. You only will be able to determine whether they work for you tone-wise tho.
    My suggestion would be to visit a store with your Profiler and try some in your budget.
    be careful tho, to have them placed in the same spot when you audition them.

HTH