Character count title warning

• I keep getting warnings about character count in my subject matters and told that if I break these rules once more time I'll be banned. I've been following the guidelines and yet I feel as if I'm being singled out whilst I can see lots of threads above the required character count including one of a single seller who has tons of threads that are clearly more than the required limit. I'm just frustrated and venting.

Thanks.

• I understand very well how you might feel, Dan.

I received one only today for doing something I didn't realise was wrong. I find it quite devastating when I try so hard in life to always do the right thing only to find that in some way I've crossed a line I din't know existed, or in your case, one I did my best to ensure I didn't cross.

Who knows, mate, it could be a misunderstanding. Are you counting the spaces between words when you tally the characters up? This could account for the discrepancy. I doubt it was a one-off miscount 'cause it's happened a number of times...

• ?( Character count warning...... I didn't know there was such a thing and if so why don't they just limit the characters in that field :thumbup: I gracefully forgive you MentaL for your error ;)

• LOL indeed!

I think it's to do with the new Commercial Profiles Announcements forum guidelines, Zap

Yes, I figured it must be too, Sam.

Would be helpful if the board's software allowed the automatic limiting of the count for titles to be specified uniquely for each sub-forum. I wonder if this is possible or whether it'd be necessary for a request to be submitted to the relevant parties for the feature to be implemented. The K Team™ would know...

• Would be helpful if the board's software allowed the automatic limiting of the count for titles to be specified uniquely for each sub-forum. I wonder if this is possible or whether it'd be necessary for a request to be submitted to the relevant parties for the feature to be implemented. The K Team™ would know...

Well to define the max amount of characters is a basic function of all input-masc tool.
    It really easier than in real life to set limits for character of people you have to live with. :/

• it is a funny side aspect of this discussion that it was you, the users of this board, who started to complained about the lengthly thread titles in the first place. it bothered you that the commercial section was virtually unreadable on portable devices with small displays. we (the guys who happen to run the forum) didn't have a problem with all that in the first place, maybe because we don't use phones/tablets for this type of _work_.
    another amusing detail might be that the commercial seller who opened this very thread is the same who claimed back in the original discussion that he's using extra long thread titles to increase his visibility and agreed there to cut it down. in the end, we've warned him four times after receiving complains from mostly commercial resellers for continuing to use long headlines. talking about warnings, others received those as well - so no, nobody was singled out here. what makes the OP stand out is that he's the only one so far who received four warnings and went on to use headlines which exceed the specs provided.
    we happily would have limited the amount of characters allowed but it appears that this will only happen if we either patch the forum or make the manufacturer of the forum do so instead. both is unlikely to happen. so, if somebody knows a setting we might have overlooked, don't hesitate to share your knowledge.

for those who're equally fascinated by this Kindergarden, here's where it all began: on christmas eve 2015... : Annoyed by long Thread Titles?

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• Thank you for the clarification, G String.

I had a feeling that you'd have to contact the authors of the software in order to request a unique limit for a particular sub-forum. As you suggested 'though, somebody might be aware of a parameter that specifies this.

It sounds to me like MentaL honestly feels that others have been getting away with longer titles than he's been submitting lately. Who knows - it could be error on his part, but it does sound as if he's been trying to play the game fairly. An unfortunate misunderstanding?

• it is a funny side aspect of this discussion that it was you, the users of this board, who started to complained about the lengthly thread titles in the first place. it bothered you that the commercial section was virtually unreadable on portable devices with small displays. we (the guys who happen to run the forum) didn't have a problem with all that in the first place, maybe because we don't use phones/tablets for this type of _work_.
    another amusing detail might be that the commercial seller who opened this very thread is the same who claimed back in the original discussion that he's using extra long thread titles to increase his visibility and agreed there to cut it down. in the end, we've warned him four times after receiving complains from mostly commercial resellers for continuing to use long headlines. talking about warnings, others received those as well - so no, nobody was singled out here. what makes the OP stand out is that he's the only one so far who received four warnings and went on to use headlines which exceed the specs provided.
    we happily would have limited the amount of characters allowed but it appears that this will only happen if we either patch the forum or make the manufacturer of the forum do so instead. both is unlikely to happen. so, if somebody knows a setting we might have overlooked, don't hesitate to share your knowledge.

for those who're equally fascinated by this Kindergarden, here's where it all began: on christmas eve 2015... : Annoyed by long Thread Titles?

I am not sure if this is what you've asked G String, but currently in the code for new thread (http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/ThreadAdd/51/) there is 255 characters limit

Code
    <dl>
    <dt>
    <label for="subject">Subject</label>
    </dt>
    <dd>
    <input type="text" id="subject" name="subject" value="" required="required" autofocus="autofocus" maxlength="255" class="long" />
    </dd>
    </dl>

If you change to maxlenght="60", this will do the trick.

• for those who're equally fascinated by this Kindergarden, here's where it all began: on christmas eve 2015... : Annoyed by long Thread Titles?

I like the solution to limit the length of the thread title.
    For what I am a little confused is, that a look in the forum don't show that the OP as Vendor with the longest Titel.
    Could it be that other also get a warning and just the OP mentioned it in a thead?