IEM Tone Issues

• I am using an IEM with my Kemper and the sound in my ears is lifeless and very dull mainly with gainy tones. It almost sounds like there is a blanket on it and needs to be lifted. I'm using Shure se425 earbuds. Is there a solution to this or just something I need to get used to? I play live every weekend and it's just not as fun when you don't hear a great tone in your ears.

Thanks

• If youre running from your Monitor out to desk and back to in ears , make sure that the monitor cabinet isn't turned off.

You should probably add some 'Space' and try increasing 'Real Cabinet' as well. Then EQ on Monitor section to your taste

• Hard to answer without a crucial bit of information.

- what is the signal chain between the kpa out and your iem's?

If it's direct out of the kpa to the phones, it's easily tweaked to sound how you like (within reason).
    If it's from someone else's desk/chain and then sent back to your phones, then it's slightly more complicted, but easy to solve.

Please let us know how the chain looks and I'm sure the guys here can help you out.

• IEMs transform the ear-canal to a closed chamber which tend to have a particular negative effect on intentionally distorted sounds such as a crunch guitar or an old distorted tube-leslie/organ. This is one of the problems 64audio's ADEL technology is trying to solve.

• I am using Sennheizer EW300 i feel the opposite! its better sounding in my in ear than PA snd DXR monitor.
    I use the aux on a Presonus Studio Live. Mixer with my main band. on other PA`s I have played on, its the same good sounding In ear system! I have no Idea of what the EQ is! propably flat!

• This issue is why I keep a simple 4 channel mixer in my live setup. I feed my Kemper directly to the mixer and then get a stereo mix from the rest of the band. That way I know the guitar sound is unaltered.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Don't get me wrong! But what I learned was that when the sound through the IEMs sounds like crap, maybe the profiles really also do. I tried setting up my sounds through my IEMs at home until I was satisfied and then refined them at live levels in our rehearsal room. And guess what: the Kemper turned out to sound really better than before. Most often the IEMs tell the truth.

Give it a try!

The Educated Apes: Facebook | Bandcamp

Kemper-Wiki
    [email protected]

Main Rig: KPA Power Toaster + Profiler Remote, 2x Palmer 112 Cab (1x Celestion V30, 1x Celestion CB NEO), ME EP1-KP-GN, Dunlop Cry Baby 95Q, Gibson Memphis ES-339 '16, Gibson Melody Maker '14, Fender Thinline Cabronita '12

Edited once, last by 10w73 ().

• Don't get me wrong! But what I learned was that when the sound through the IEMs sound like crap, maybe the profiles really also do. I tried setting up my sounds through my IEMs at home until I was satisfied and then refine them at live levels in our rehearsal room. And guess what: the Kemper turned out to sound really better than before. Most often the IEMs tell the truth.

Give it a try!

Very interesting concept and idea

• 10w73 schrieb:
    Don't get me wrong! But what I learned was that when the sound through the IEMs sounds like crap, maybe the profiles really also do. I tried setting up my sounds through my IEMs at home until I was satisfied and then refined them at live levels in our rehearsal room. And guess what: the Kemper turned out to sound really better than before. Most often the IEMs tell the truth.

Give it a try!

Very interesting concept and idea

Thanks. It really, really helped me a lot. For me this was the solution to all of my problems. Give it a try, mate.

The Educated Apes: Facebook | Bandcamp

Kemper-Wiki
    [email protected]

Main Rig: KPA Power Toaster + Profiler Remote, 2x Palmer 112 Cab (1x Celestion V30, 1x Celestion CB NEO), ME EP1-KP-GN, Dunlop Cry Baby 95Q, Gibson Memphis ES-339 '16, Gibson Melody Maker '14, Fender Thinline Cabronita '12

Edited once, last by 10w73 ().

• I definitely agree that programming your sounds through your IEMs is a good idea, but sometimes the venue just has a crap board with bad pre's so there's not a lot you can do. Unless you have a little mixer and plug in your guitar and your monitor feed from the house to your IEMs. I'm actually really interested in doing something like this, has anyone done something similar?

• I monitor my IEMs directly from the Kemper headphone jack and bring in the band monitor mix through the aux input. Since we use an Aviom monitoring system I can remove my guitar signal from the Aviom feed so we don't get any phasing issues. Sounds good and let's me hear things directly from KPA.

• I use Shure SE535s. It might seem trivial, but make sure the earbuds are clean. You should have gotten a small tool to clean the canal in the earbuds. This makes a huge difference, especially in the top-end.