reverb far away

• One of the reverb chambers at the power station studio's (NYC) was a pink tiled ladies toilet.
    Usually just put a speaker in there and a couple of mic's and send things to it from the board.
    I've done this in many studios around the world. Not unusual at all.

• One of the reverb chambers at the power station studio's (NYC) was a pink tiled ladies toilet.
    Usually just put a speaker in there and a couple of mic's and send things to it from the board.

+1

This was especially true in the days of real reverb chambers.

Here is a lo-fi indie folk video that was recorded in a bathroom :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

How big is that bathroom? Bigger than mine, I would assume :)

Anyway, what might set a bathroom apart, all other things being equal, I suspect would be the hard surfaces. That's the only thing, right?

I kind of react to this bathroom thing because I see it mentioned fairly often in "home recording circles" as if there's something magical about recording on the can. I would guess that most home recording people would have more trouble than benefits from trying to record there than just recording in the room where they have (at least SOME) acoustic treatment.

• Yeah, agreed, after all, you just sit there churning out the er, stuff... ;)

But hard surfaces and the dimensions probably do play a role... You know the difference in sound between singing in the shower and in the living room with a carpet. (apart from the shower curtain that is). :thumbup:

• Yes, hard surfaces as usual in many bathrooms, but also reflectors and diffusers in different distances.
    As a good reverb still is a masterpiece for effect devices also the mechanical reverb chambers were complex construction. Hard to find a place to shit ^^

• Well, all this talk of my orifice... I mean, office, had me concocting countless responses, so in the interests of compassion I'll limit myself to just a few.

Well, I've seen monkeys doing strange things with twigs and anthills... Stirring, stirring, stirring... <XX/:)

Ha!

If you mean, shit-stirring, Freisegler, you're referring to a traditional Australian pastime... for some. Hopefully you're not implying that I... never mind. Best not to even put the thought out there, lest I be misunderstood as an individual.

But seriously, has anyone tried to profile with the reverb on and with the mic quite far away, so as to capture the sound of the room acoustic qualities. Lke Led Zeppelin's drums on "When the Levy Breaks". Or is that idea also bound for M-M's toilet? ;)

Hey, I'll stash anything I can get my hands on in there, as is evidenced by the smell.

Thankfully the Kemper doesn't include said fragrances in the resulting Profiles.

@Sharry what does your bathroom sound like? :P ... Mine´s not big enough to get a ring out of anything, let alone a reverb... :D

Well, if Harry's prone to singing in his bathroom, I'm guessing it has the capacity to smother and drown even the most objectionable of tones in a thick blanket of flutter echoes and profane... I mean, profuse... I mean, diffuse reflections.

Sorry Harry. Just shit-stirrin' ya maaate. :D

There. I feel so much better now... and lighter too, almost like I just took a dump. Guess I did, really. Don't worry; I'll clean up.

• You're absolutely right, the player. We ended up in the toilet somehow, and I'm surely guilty as heck.

Sorry mate. How about this?

Distant sound sources exhibit reduced high frequencies, as well as low ones. It therefore makes sense to band-limit (HPF and LPF) both the source and perhaps the reverb as well.

Long-lengthed early reflections (greater time gaps between the initial flutter echoes, before they become diffused into reverberant tails) provide the clues as to the size of the space involved. I'd therefore try increasing the pre-delay (time before the first reflection is heard) whilst obviously choosing an algorithm such as a canyon, stadium or great-hall-styled one.

Set the dry / wet mix to 100% wet and tweak away!

Hope that helps; it's all I've got besides useless toilet humour.

• Well I attached a profile with one of the Free top Jimi profiles, slightly lowered the gain and used very minimal eq. Used a Les paul and quickly dialed a reverb. I'm on firmware 4.04 so I believe this would work on minimum 3.3 (please someone correct me if I'm wrong). Feel free to lower the reverb mix from 80% (currently) to anywhere you like.At my end, It sounds very much in the neighborhood of what you're looking for. What I love about the Kemper reverb is the ducking feature. A small amount of ducking brings up the dry guitar temporary as the reverb kicks in so the tone is not completely drenched but at the same time you have the extremely wet feeling (no pun intended :D ) . HTH

• I guess these are not serious contributions to what I'm asking for...
    paults: thanks for your advice. I'll make a feature request, hoping that is what I'm looking for.

We´re so old, we don´t have any reason to be serious and have kept our sense of humour - sorry to have impeded your progress - I´m sure @ Monkey_Man feels the same way too... ;)

• Talking about bathrooms, I heard that the Doors LA women was recorded by putting a speaker in the office bathroom and so was many of the R&B in the early seventies before digital reverbs and plates were abundant.

Based on humble experience bathroom is mainly short delays with focus on higher frequencies due to the tile in the room.

Attached is two simulation in the same profle, one using the reverb module and one using the delay module. The default is with reverb on and delay off. Alternate between both and see what works best. Generally the intention is to fatten the sound without extremely coloring it. So you;'ll know you've got right if the effect is only noticeable when you disengage it. Once it's on it should still sound dry but thicker, if you turn on off, you would hear its absence. Based on this you might lower the mix parameter to your taste.

• I´m sure @ Monkey_Man feels the same way too...

Yeah, that's why I promptly gave theplayer everything I've got immediately after the "dressing-down". :D

I'm a naughty, naughty Monkey! Off to spank myself now...

We should consider that in other area of the world jokes about some kind of taboos are not considered in the same way.

Some kind of poopoos? You mean, depending upon the type of poopoo it might be OK, Harry? This should be right up my alley; I'm a connoisseur of such things.

Oh... taboo... :/