Ever been screwed on ebay?

• I'm not sure you researched correctly on Reverb

Perhaps not. I did not use the Transaction History (new to the site). Bad on me.

When I was looking there were only 3 for sale, $900 the average asking price. Perhaps they were damaged and just not mentioning that little fact. I didn't pay enough attention to the "sold" price, true, and thanks for pointing that out to me. I'll look much more closely in future and I appreciate you educating me to that point. But still... $1500 was ok considering the scratch marks on my own that I was selling.

In retrospect (2 months later) I kind of wish I hadn't sold it at all. I instead bought the newer Montage 7, which although it has many more cool features and better sounds (and amazing morphing abilities and FX that make the KPA a mere puppy in comparison, no offense guys), and I really liked the XS8 better, probably just because of the weighted keys. But I was just so sick of hauling around 2 heavy-ass keyboards. 2 guitars, 2 amps (KPA 1 of those of course), cabs, PA monitors... etc... I was trying to downsize - and was in fact able to knock off 40 lbs with the change in keyboard and case (from 108 lbs to 68). A trade off.

Oh well.

Gary ô¿ô

• prsgary:

We've all been there and are probably still there. I just sold an amp at 30% less than what I paid for it because I haven't used it over 8 months and it was practically brand new. I also sold few other things because they're not getting any use. I bought a few things with the little money I raised and that's the idea ^^ , anything is better than a piece of gear collecting dust, but I can't stomach how ebay charges the sellers about close to 13% including paypal charges and other miscellaneous fees etc. They used to charge for photos ! Their fees are just one main reason why Reverb is succeeding.

• Dean_R:

I'll try Reverb as you suggest, more intelligently I hope.

I have one of those never used amps myself. I bought it as a back up to the KPA, never have needed it (knock on... the side of my head)... I'm sure I'd take a huge loss though never used as well (it's the Mesa Mark V:25). Thanks for the tip!

Gary ô¿ô

• prsgary: I think you will do Well with Mesa. Brand names don't loose much value. Here's another tip. When and if you sell the amp, Make sure you use Reverb also for shipping. I got a better rate shipping my amp through Reverb using UPS ground and got a better deal than if I had used my own company's rate (the company I currently work for). They seem to have negotiated a good rate with the freight companies.

• Not recently and only twice years ago (before 2010)

1. Got stiffed from the UK on a practice soccer jacket. (said he had a receipt, wouldn't send me a picture even. Delayed with excuses like pneumonia etc until the official 30 days was over. After that, when I went on his auctions to warn people he complained to eBay and they said my account would be closed if I persisted.
    2. Got a used guitar from the midwest with a soft case that was advertised as new with hard case. And it smellled of smoke. NEVER had that in an instrument before or since. And the guy flipped I left a bad review AFTER he refused to take it back. All kinds.

So I stopped using them until PayPal got big. But then when I had someone (virus checker) who re-authorized a payment for an anniversary re-up purchase (I didn't authorize) PayPal said "talk to them or your bank" as they wouldn't stop the payment! So just what are they protecting you from? The Credit Card is the one who protects you. And anything out of your bank account directly is NOT safe from any stoppage payment, often even by your own back (that has to put the exact name of who is pulling the money to stop them and PayPal varies their name so they can avoid your bank's internal flagging)

So now I avoid eBay and PayPal as much as possible and when I use them, only for small stuff or rare buys, and only ever use my Credit Card through PayPal. I never sell on eBay anymore. It's a total ripoff. I much prefer selling on Forums like GearPage, etc.

• Once I bought a set of cymbal stands for my e-kit that were advertised as new, but when I got them, they were used and covered in rust.

I contacted ebay and they told me I could get a refund if I sent the item back. I also had to endure a lot of abuse from the seller. But I would have taken a hit sending them back because I had to pay return shipping as well as shoulder the customs duty I paid on them.

The funny thing is the seller had relatively good feedback, but that didn't stop him from selling me something that did not fit the item description.

But I still use ebay quite frequently because of paypal's buyer protection. Sometimes you can score some really excellent stuff for cheaper than buying new.

• So the seller finally got in touch - said he had been on holiday and had no idea where the parcel got to. He didn't send it tracked and said he would investigate and refund me if required. So I said I would wait a few more days and then would want a refund this weekend. He didn't respond with the results of his enquiry or to my request to refund. So I went through ebay and got a refund almost immediately as he didn't respond to the case I opened.

Something about the whole thing was fishy. I kind of felt it in my bones when I ordered it. Stock photo. He also said he had only 4, then he listed another two. But he isn't a shop by the looks of it. He also undercut the RRP by a huge amount.

I have been trading on Ebay for donkeys years - so hopefully an exception. I think you can get screwed over anywhere - including from stores. Some interesting stories on here though.

• You did the right thing. Typically I'd ask for a picture of the copy of the receipt of shipping for one. Typically they'll promise it, but not get it to you.

But it's best to err on the side of caution when you get the red flags and not let any deadlines pass. The protections are there, you used them, done.