The Journey: Helix -> Axe-FX II XL+ -> Kemper Profiler

• Howdy! I used to play guitar. Then I played again. Then I had a kid. Then I used to play guitar again. I've owned dozens of amps and probably loved a Carvin tube amp I had the most.

I've tried a million pedals and half a dozen multi-effects units and synths.

After having a kid, I picked up a Line 6 POD HD. It was great for the price (around $200 on sale). But, it never felt real. The tone felt and sounded digital.

So I used to play guitar.

A few weeks ago I decided to stop making excuses. I picked the guitars back up and started breaking my fingers in.

I decided I'd stick with it this time and get something more modern that could be used in the silence of my own room while the family sleeps.

I first ordered a Line 6 Helix. It was taking a while to arrive so I grabbed a used Axe-FX II XL+ that I found locally. As I was pulling into my spot at home, FedEx delivered the Helix!

I started with the Helix. The user interface is second to none. Just outstanding. Visually pleasing but, more importantly, incredibly easy to use and set up. Finding reasonably good tones is a snap.

Then I tried the Axe-FX II XL+. What a nightmare to use. All editing has to be done in the software or you'll go bananas, and the software is clunky and offers far too many options for editing. I kept getting lost in tone-chasing.

So I just tones on the Helix and Axe-FX XL+. I managed to dial in some pretty sexy Stevie Ray Vaughan style tones in both. The Axe-FX always sounded just a touch more real to me, but the Helix was just so easy to use (not to mention cheaper, and I only get to keep one).

The touch and feel of both the Helix and Axe-FX are just slightly off, slightly unreal. I never quite feel like I'm playing through a real amplifier, though the Axe definitely comes quite close. But lordy is it hard to get offer the usability of the thing.

I bought some patches/profiles/tones/presets/whatever for both from well-respected folks.

Then I remembered hearing about the Kemper years ago. Maybe that thing is good. Who makes nice tones? Some Michael Britt guy. Ah, wow, yeah those sound great. But I've seen videos of presets before and they invariably sound like a muddy mess when I try them myself. I emailed Michael Britt because he has all three. He had some excellent points about them that mirrored my own, and he expressed his own personal preference for the Kemper because it feels the most real of them.

Okay, gotta try it. Screw it.

Got it today.

Sold the Axe-FX II XL+.

Sending the Line 6 Helix back.

Time to chase SRV tones on the Kemper.

This thing just feels better than the others. I don't need all of the crazy effects that I can get on the other units. I need some clean, some drive, some reverb, just the basics. I grabbed a Ceriatone SSS SRV tone and it's already super solid on its own.

I'm going to have some fun with this thing!

Now I just need to decide if I want to get the head version instead of the rack unit I got.

• Welcome to the Kemper lot,

I can subscribe to your point of view concerning Line 6. It has to be said though that it doesn't sound too bad in rehearsals and gigs where you don't hear all the subtelties of your own sound. The KPA in my opinion is second to none and is sounding more than real enough for me.

Greetings
    Joachim

• I have the helix and the kemper,as well, helix is fun,,lots of efxs,GREAT editor, but there is a harsh high end, un natural fizzzz???,,, to all distorted tones,not too bad live, but when recording its un useable,,,, its just not right,
    Tried to Global eq it out , tried every amp , but its always there,,Fantastic clean tones,, for sure,,easy to use, yes,
    but if its real guitar amp tone your after,then, the kemper is the only option other then the real amp,,at least for me,,
    have fun,