bad luck with SPDIF faulty? help!

• Ok, to begin with.... Kemper is AMAZING.

After recording so long with through XLR Outs, I've bought an interface (Scarlett 6i6). mind you after returning one previously (the SPDIF was faulty).

Receiving a new one. this one locks fine on Kemper unlike previous attempt. ( and YES I have set Kemper as master clock. locked at 44.1K etc)

HOWEVER- this time it pops and crackles when I monitor. I have tried three different variants of 75ohm DIGI COAX RCA leads. all with same result.

Here's the catch- Iv'e recorded as a test- GIT Studio via XLR and I'm reamping OUT from interface SPDIF back into kemper and recording analogue once again to see if the SPDIF crackles FROM the interface,

no crackle, pure nice signal.

Now testing the interface, I've just ran a loop going from spdif out to spdif in on the interface and recorded audio (spdif out to in) and to my surprise- crystal clear audio.

Is this a fair chance that my SPDIF OUT is in need of a service within my kemper?

Can anyone share a recent experience with any SPDIF Issues?

after multiple google searches...

P.S again- id like to point out. yes Kemper/Hardware/Software is locked and set to SPDIF as the Master. it's all running 44.1K and I'm using 75OHM Digi Coax cable.
    :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

• Pretty much from the begiinning I have found my SPDIF output physical connection to be unreliable.

Having gone through 3 or 4 different cables, I have discovered that sometime a simple movement of the KPA with SPDIF active will disturb the sync and sometimes I will need to restart.
    I have to push the plug in quite hard and twist it to get a good connection but it can still drop out (with lots of ensuing noise from my interface) if I move the cable or KPA.

At first I just thought it was cables, so I did not try to get it fixed under warranty (which has now expired).

Just thought I'd mention this in case it gives you another avenue to explore.

• Please keep us informed!

• Will definitly Keep you all posted. I'm getting my hands on another KEMPER soon and another external device (a pod X3)... I'm betting it's the KEMPER.

Pod X3 ???
    Are you kidding?
    Between this Pod and the Kemper there are worlds!
    The X3 is about 10 years old, isn't it? And it sounds like a sewing machine, compared with the Kemper.
    Save your money.
    ;)

• I wonder if the DAW software or even computer OS is overriding the interface's onboard-sync setting.

Could it be that it's being instructed to be master when the 'punter's on / DAW fired up, causing this problem, but that when powered up as a stand-alone device it'll revert to the flash-memory's setting that Richard programmed?

• no the pod is a test to see if it is the interface or not. If the pods spdif function works then it'll be the KEMPER

• I wonder if the DAW software or even computer OS is overriding the interface's onboard-sync setting.

Could it be that it's being instructed to be master when the 'punter's on / DAW fired up, causing this problem, but that when powered up as a stand-alone device it'll revert to the flash-memory's setting that Richard programmed?

The DAW is not running.
    Windows settings are unchecked to allow full control of hardware to take over.
    Windows sounds are set at 44.1K 24 bit (even tried 16bit)

I have tried resetting audio interface (6i6) to factory and still no resolution problem still exists

The problem appears if the Computer is on or not.
    So the Focusrite itself is the problem, not the computer.

• It might be the Focusrite. I know my 18i8 Generation 2 has constant USB hickups.
    I tested it with my Kemper, a Pod XT, X3, J-Station and a few more of those. It produces strange pops every now and then (even when set to slave).
    I first thought it was my Kemper but after testing more units, it had issues with all devices I tested - so it must be the Focusrite.
    Even though I'm running a relatively strong machine with all updated drivers and plenty of RAM and 64-Bit WIndows 10 Pro.
    Go figure...

• *UPDATE*

Now. After getting a second replacement. 6i6 CH1 input is now fried. (This doesn't impact KEMPER spdif FYI)

So I've given up with this audio interface. As this is the 2nd DOA I've received from supplier.

After this is returned i will test with a brand new motu spdif interface (express version) and see if KEMPER will sync before I send off for repair.

I will intend on keeping you updated incase this really is a KEMPER/Interface issue.

My bet it is still the KEMPER because the interface can sync itself fine and record audio from spdif Out to spdif in with audio passing.

Within recorded audio from this connection there are ZERO HICCUPS!

Again stay tuned!- ps I'm really over people telling me to check my sample rate/clock sync/ spdif cables etc :P!

• The Scarlett (USB) interfaces sometimes loose sync while still showing Sync Source S/PDIF. Need to reset it to Internal and then back to S/PDIF.
    Doesn't happen THAT often but happens.

With USB audio interfaces in general ... make sure you use one USB port exclusively for the audio interface. Do not share the port (e.g. via USB hub) with other devices (external drives, printer, whatever).
    USB by definition has no digital audio streaming capabilities. The audio streaming via this port is emulated, as opposed to Firewire ports. Sadly sometimes USB interfaces show hiccups, especially when sharing the port.

Hope this helps
    Martin

• The Scarlett (USB) interfaces sometimes loose sync while still showing Sync Source S/PDIF. Need to reset it to Internal and then back to S/PDIF.

Martin

Thanks Martin!
    Is there a hard reset on the device I'm missing? Mine seems to have trouble almost always... but I've learned to live with it.