Kemper vs. Real Amp Test - Cameron CCV

• Sweet Googly Moogly...that is one of my "go to" amp profiles. The incredible Soldano HR 4 Merged (Soldano Hot Rod 100), by @Thumas.

In my top 10 favorite all time KPA profiles.

Sorry @ColdFrixion, didn't mean to go off-topic. I was just surprised to click the video and see one of my personal favorite profiles being used. Very cool.

I'll have to check that one out.

• OK 1 - Kemper 2 - AXE 100% :D

Stay Metal!

Tis true.

#1 is the KPA

#2 is the Axe FX

Another Wictory! :thumbup: Any awards next time? 8o @Thumas profiles sounds killer - His Mesa rectifier 2x12 cab sounds killer, My first fav. profiles when i bought my Kemper TBH. Anyway "Do not watch this thread" again until new comparison - Yes I'm dick i know sorry. 8o Love You all Anyway :evil:

Stay Metal!

• Erazorblade had mentioned overcompression with high gain sounds, which is something some of us have noticed with the palm muting issue, however I think this video may hold some answers:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Awesome! seems to be also a possible solution for the kind of "fuzzyness" i was encountering! gonna try it today. Thank you! :thumbup:

Still kinda funny to have these dynamic settings in the Studio EQ (which sounds more like a standard EQ in a DAW).

• So everybody got the test right. It's a consistent issue as we anyway know. What I hear in your axe fx test @ColdFrixion I hear with pretty much any amp I have profiled personally.

Will try the tip in the video to see if it helps..

• Awesome! seems to be also a possible solution for the kind of "fuzzyness" i was encountering! gonna try it today. Thank you! :thumbup:
    Still kinda funny to have these dynamic settings in the Studio EQ (which sounds more like a standard EQ in a DAW).

I'm going to try this as well. The fizz in the gain of many of the profiles is problematic for me as well. I also found using the volume parameter in the studio EQ in the video seems to impart a different type of effect as opposed to using the gain knob.

Sonic

• I take it you've experimented with the Pure Cab™ setting whilst trying to reduce fizz, Sonic?

I'm allergic to fizz, specifically that accentuated through phase cancellation / comb filtering, and Pure Cab™ was a Godsend for me from the day it arrived.

• I take it you've experimented with the Pure Cab™ setting whilst trying to reduce fizz, Sonic?

I'm allergic to fizz, specifically that accentuated through phase cancellation / comb filtering, and Pure Cab™ was a Godsend for me from the day it arrived.

Nicky, there is at least one monkey from the land of Oz, that appreciates some good fizz:

[Blocked Image: http://www.cask.com/wp-content/uploads/cheeky-monkey-cans-570x342.jpg]

For recording purposes:
    Imho PureCab degrades the sound. It's kind a weird EQ which won't let the guitar sit easy in a mix. While it might be nice for playing in front of an amp, for mixing it's not what I would use.

If you open a graphic EQ after activating PureCab you will see a kind of compensation of the higher frequencies from 4-9k. It lowers the highest peaks but also boosts the nulls in between them. The result is a strange fizz where there shouldn't be one. Not 100% sure what it does to the low mids, I think it boosts them in some way too, but usually theres already enough low mids on guitars (at least for me). It generally makes the guitar more pleasant when playing alone, but it will fit harder in a mix IMHO.

To the video posted from @ColdFrixion:
    It improves the dynamics of lead guitars a bit, but for rhythm guitars and overall tone it unfortunately does not help a lot... But it also wasn't intended to do so I guess :)

• I'm going to try this as well. The fizz in the gain of many of the profiles is problematic for me as well. I also found using the volume parameter in the studio EQ in the video seems to impart a different type of effect as opposed to using the gain knob.
    Sonic

This is an example of some weird goofy stuff I was talking about in another thread. Works though I made a studio eq preset that does pretty much the same and I put it before the preamp too

• No luck with the method shown in video (tried profiling with the EQ trick too, fruitless results). If Wagener actually does get the tones to match the amp without the usual "congested" issue, he must be doing something radically different to everybody I know who profiles amps. I wonder if anyone has any "inside" information.

• No luck with the method shown in video (tried profiling with the EQ trick too, fruitless results). If Wagener actually does get the tones to match the amp without the usual "congested" issue, he must be doing something radically different to everybody I know who profiles amps. I wonder if anyone has any "inside" information.

Agreed, I tried tonight and didn't have any luck either with tone improvement (although the EQ trick for dynamic leads as demonstrated in the video is indeed very cool and good to know).

Congested is a good term. That's one major aspect, if not THE main aspect that, IMO, makes many of the higher gain profiles sound "fabricated" instead of real. There's a fizzy aspect as well but that may be a perception issue that is actually a result of the congestion.

Are Wageners Profiles indeed superior to the others and without the "congested"-issue you/we are describing?
    If so, is it on the AMP or CAB part?
    Or on both?

Would be good to know as a temporary solution/workaround.

• Are Wageners Profiles indeed superior to the others and without the "congested"-issue you/we are describing?If so, is it on the AMP or CAB part?
    Or on both?

Would be good to know as a temporary solution/workaround.

The amp part of profiles for sure suffers from it. Direct profiles show this. I am not 100% about whether the Cab part also suffers or not. And cannot tell if Wagener's profiles suffer similarly without playing or hearing his dialed in amp tones -- But I don't like most of his profiles anyway personally, just a matter of taste.

• What do you mean by that? Studio Profiles > Merged ?

A direct profile is just profiling the amp head without the cab. These are meant to be used with actual cabs or 3rd party IR's.

A studio profile is when you mic the cab during profiling and create a single profile of both. With this method the Kemper decides where the amp and cab separation is internally, which may be somewhat imperfect.

A merged profile is when you make a direct and an amp profile at the same time, then combine them. The reason for this is to have a clear separation between the amp and cab in the event you use either independent of the other. They sound basically identical.

• In my opinion, the way around some of these issues, like compression and EQ, may be to overcompensate when profiling. I'll have to try it myself, but in theory I think it should work.

For instance, if you profile an amp with a compressor in front, your profile would include more compression. If you want less compression, perhaps add an expander instead? If your profile doesn't have as much bass as the original amp, simply add more bass before profiling to compensate.