EytschPi42 blaming on Kemper - one year later

• So the story goes - profiling an amp and sharing it is like ripping song from CD and sharing it.

In my opinion you can't compare sound on CD with profile of an amp:

- song on CD is full representation of notes/sounds/voice in full package, while profile is a snapshot of one particular setting, one of infinite settings in amp

- when you play song from CD the output digital stream is always the same (unless you have dirty laser), the profile being played will never have the same output, since you can use different guitars, different articulation, etc...

If Kemper really "sucks in" amps sound in a profile, how much of an amp is sucked? 1/100000000000th? Just multiply all gain, EQ, volume, cabinet, mic types.

What do you think?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm not even going to watch this as it's a waste of time.
    The guy clearly wants to stir the pot a bit.
    Building up some controversy over the internet leads to more clicks on his channel and thus to more money (for him).
    It's easy as always, kids: Don't feed the trolls.

• I have watched this. He works directly with a company known for ripping off circuit designs of other guitar pedals and selling them cheap. For instance, I bought the Joyo version of the Suhr Riot pedal based on his review and comparison. It sounds exactly the same as the real thing. It's the same color, same layout, etc.

In the video he starts off by saying there are only so many ways you can go with a circuit before it sounds like shit. this is his way of justifying Joyo's cloning of pedals. The fact is, Joyo takes money directly out of the pockets of other companies by copying their products and selling them.

Then, he goes on to complain about his CD, stating that even if your band covers one of his bands song at a bar, you owe him money. He supposedly owns that sound. This is the kind of absurdity he tries to parallel with using a Kemper, even though you can not patent sound. This logic means that he owes every manufacturer he used to produce the sounds on the record money every time it is played. What about the manufacturers of the studio equipment? Don't forget to pay them, too.

I find the Kemper to be a much for legitimate product than cheap Chinese knockoff pedals. (No offense, China) I can use it to profile MY OWN AMPS.

If one of these studio wizards wants to sell profiles, I view it as me purchasing their performance as an engineer, not a rip-off of the amp. A single amp could produce 1,000s of different sounding snapshots.

Not everyone has a multi million dollar studio with treated rooms, mic lockers, and decades of experience. I highly doubt I could profile an amp as well as Michael Wagener... I could easily buy the amp, profile it, and return it... So, in my opinion, his point is moot and very biased considering he is now deeply entwined with Joyo.

• the only reason is they don't give him a free Kemper
    he didnt bought a single piece of his gear, he does the talking for free gear
    i hate guys like him
    especially his clothing :D

don't even waste any one more word on this guy
    he is def not worth it

Edited once, last by digbob ().

• Then, he goes on to complain about his CD, stating that even if your band covers one of his bands song at a bar, you owe him money. He supposedly owns that sound. This is the kind of absurdity he tries to parallel with using a Kemper, even though you can not patent sound.

I haven't watched the video - but this (apart from the Kemper parallel) isn't absurd; that's how it works. Not the sound, of course, but the songwriting. If somebody's original music is played in a public setting (or used in a commercial, used as a sample on another artist's CD etc), the rights holder is owed money.

• I haven't watched the video - but this (apart from the Kemper parallel) isn't absurd; that's how it works. Not the sound, of course, but the songwriting. If somebody's original music is played in a public setting (or used in a commercial, used as a sample on another artist's CD etc), the rights holder is owed money.

I am not arguing that it makes sense on paper but in reality, how many times have you heard a bar band cover an AC/DC song? I have never in my life heard of a band paying royalties to another band for playing their song. At least not in the realm of bands who play their own music. Maybe in the working band's world, where they play covers at weddings and events for a living, its a different story.

EDIT* And my absurdity claim was def in regards to the Kemper parallel.

EDIT 2* Aside from the bad example he makes, I am specifically arguing his claim of another band even covering one of his songs and owing him money. That is just too far an extreme IMHO. I completely agree that a band owns their music and has the right to be paid when it is utilized in the proper domain. If my band covers a Slayer song at a basement show, I wouldn't expect Slayer to come looking for a royalty check.

• I haven't watched the video - but this (apart from the Kemper parallel) isn't absurd; that's how it works. Not the sound, of course, but the songwriting. If somebody's original music is played in a public setting (or used in a commercial, used as a sample on another artist's CD etc), the rights holder is owed money.

Off course I agree @Michael_dk with right to a song.

But the Kemper is in core of that talk. The profile being the digital representation of an amp. Like 1:1 ripped song from CD. From original sealed 20$ CD with leaflet, ripped onto 0.10$ CD-R. It is the same song. The same digital information. Byte to byte.

The profile of an amp is not copy of an amp. It's a one of 1000000000 representations of amp/cab/mic settings. So all in all it was missed comparison.

• There are only 2 things to consider concerning this topic:

1) Is it legal? Answer: Yes
    2) Do amp manufacturers care? Answer: No

A few thoughts:
    -You can't improperly use a Registered Trademark.
    -Gibson, Fender, Marshall, etc didn't invent the Amplifying Circuit
    -Isn't this guy, in this very video, replicating Registered Trademarks on film without permission?

He's a part of his own rabbit hole thinking, no? That, my friends, is the road to insanity. Turn back! lol

• My Fav saying ATM is kiss my Kemper(s)

These people NEVER list the PROS and CONS.

1) Kemper allows musicians to tour with less environmental impact and cost
    Think we dont need not go in that direction huh?? WRONG.

2) Kemper allows you to PRESERVE (as close as possible so far)
    Lost amps - DUMBLE etc. And gives access to amps you would never be able to afford
    what does that mean = more creativity and more music..sorry....
    PLUS promotes the amps too like it or not.

3) helping the environment and consuming less resources IS the [only] future
    like it or not.

Do i really have to go blah blah more??Come up with a GOOD reason or ....kiss my.
    These guys saying that have as much ethics as BED BUGS
    lol

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I've seen a couple of this guy's videos, basically he pushes certain products, while bashing others.

I mean, who died and made this guy keeper of consciences?

And by the way, you technically do pay bands when you cover a song. Most places that allow live music have to get a specific kind of licence to do so. That money is routed to the musician.

Of course, that might not be the same in many countries, but it's a similar concept to having a licence to play a radio or show football patches in a pub.

• I'm sill trying to grasp the concept, so please excuse my ignorance.

Let's say a local club near me like House of Blues has an entertainment license. My band opens for a headlining band and in our set we cover a Social Distortion song. You are telling me that somehow the license the venue buys from the city/county tracks down Social Distortion and pays them a royalty?

• This is rich coming from someone who has a long story of praising shameless rip-offs of instrument and circuit designs.

Firstly, Kemper does nothing that hasn't been attempted in various forms before. The vast majority of amps launched in past decades have been marketed as attempts to emulate the sound of this or that well known model. That Kemper may be more successful than many previous attempts is irrelevant. Secondly, sound isn't protected. Concepts and designs are protected with patents and trademarks, songs are protected with copyrights, but anybody is free to produce an instrument or an amplifier that sounds similar to something else. Thirdly, disruptive technologies are a fact of life. Get over it. I don't think tube-amps are ready for the scrapheap of history quite yet, but if they were so what?

Let's say a local club near me like House of Blues has an entertainment license. My band opens for a headlining band and in our set we cover a Social Distortion song. You are telling me that somehow the license the venue buys from the city/county tracks down Social Distortion and pays them a royalty?

I can only say how it works here in Denmark :) The details are likely different from country to country.

A band playing in a bar must tell the bar owner (or whomever is responsible for the show etc) which songs were played (including their own songs, by the way). It is the reponsibility of the bar owner to then send in that list to the rights management organisation, who ensures the proper artists are paid (the ones who WROTE the song; which is not necessarily the ones who originally RECORDED it, but that's another matter). The rights management organisation is of course in communication with their "colleagues" around the world to ensure that songwriters in other countries get their share as well.

It the same with radio, TV shows etc etc etc.

• This is rich coming from someone who has a long story of praising shameless rip-offs of instrument and circuit designs.

Firstly, Kemper does nothing that hasn't been attempted in various forms before. The vast majority of amps launched in past decades have been marketed as attempts to emulate the sound of this or that well known model. That Kemper may be more successful than many previous attempts is irrelevant. Secondly, sound isn't protected. Concepts and designs are protected with patents and trademarks, songs are protected with copyrights, but anybody is free to produce an instrument or an amplifier that sounds similar to something else. Thirdly, disruptive technologies are a fact of life. Get over it. I don't think tube-amps are ready for the scrapheap of history quite yet, but if they were so what?

Not just a long history of praising shameless Chinese rip-offs...but, as others have already pointed out, this "YouTube Personality" has been actively involved in promoting Joyo products, Mooer, as well as other dodgy manufacturers of blatant pedal and amp knock-offs. He gets free stuff from them. He is literally the POSTER CHILD of Hypocrisy.

At least that's what they're supposed to do. The licence covers that and that's what the rights guys are paid to do.