Recording the profiling noises for remote profiling

• Has anyone tried recording the sounds the kemper makes in the profiling process direct to their DAW (i.e. not through a guitar amp)?

I thought if I have a clean recording of that, I could email it to a person with amps I want to profile and they can record the sounds played back through their amps?

Edited once, last by RalphNYC ().

• I didn't try this, but as a quite important part of the process - refining - is not possible, I assume not the best results.
    IMHO it would be a waste of time.

Why shouldn't it be possible? You can do the same you would do with the noise: record some chords, send them into the amp and save the result. It would make the process much more difficult (to the point I, too, am beginning to question the likelihood of success), but it could be done, I think.

Edit: Nevermind. Because you would feed the Kemper both the original chords as well as the "answer" through your DAW, the timing-problem should be much easier to figure out.

• The effort is too much for my perception. IMHO it had to be a very special or rare amp to be profiled that way... but if it would be that special, I'd rather have it profiled on site by someone else who is experienced in profiling or - better - have the device sent to me so I'd be able to be able to tweak the settings according to exacly my preferences.

If it would be e.g. a JCM 800 or another "common" amp, there are enough great profiles out there, for little money or even for free.

I rather play the guitar than spend time in profiling, but that's just my point of view.

• Why is refining difficult? I just need a recording of some open position power chords through your amp? Or is there a timing issue there as well?

There shouldn't be IMHO Ralph.

As I understand it, refining is imposed on the existing freshly-made Profile and therefore doesn't involve sending any signal to the amp whatsoever. You should just be able to plug a guitar in and play or send that recording you spoke of through it, and who knows, often these days refining isn't necessary anyway, so the result could end up being pretty-good without any refining or tweaking at all.

• As I understand it, refining is imposed on the existing freshly-made Profile and therefore doesn't involve sending any signal to the amp whatsoever.

I'd always assumed that the Profiler compares the input signal to the return from the amp when refining, but maybe I've misunderstood.

• There are a lot of guys on the Gear Page who have really cool amps like Komets and Greer and Metropoulos and Jim Kelly and other somewhat rare boutique amps that if it were easy to do a remote profile I would. Just send them a file and they send me a couple of files. But from these posts it's clear to me I won't be doing that any time soon. Would open up a lot of doors though!

• Well, apart from the refining process, which in many cases isn't critical and in some not-necessary, there should be no problem with it.

The important thing to understand is that the timing isn't an issue; as long as you send the "fake" file to the Kemper shortly after it expects it, all will be processed properly within the KPA.