Best DI for profiling amps

• I have a question about refining direct profiles… If I refine numerous times does each one cancel out the last one? Or do they just keep giving the KPA more information to build on…
    What kind of things did you play during refining process? I know they suggest big bold chords,
    Edit:
    Ohhh, And can someone clarify that when I am direct profiling, am I really hearing the Reference amplifier/ Kemper amplifier when I press the soft buttons? Or are they both the Reference amplifier?
    Someone from here told me that when direct profiling, both are the Reference amplifier… ?(

• refining isn't mandatory anymore - don't be surprised if the Profile is dead-on right away.

Refining repeatedly adds more information, it doesn't 'reset'

the reference amp is on in both cases, because otherwise the cab next room (hopefully) would add rumble and bass you would hear when playing the reference amp but not when playing the Profile which would make an objective comparison pretty much impossible.

• Thank you Don, will it affect the actual DIRECT profile progress ( resulting profile tone) to have the amplifier and cabinet in the same room though?
    I am playing reference amplifier through 4×12 cabinet and also the powered Kemper through same 4×12 cabinet…

• Hey, that's my video! :D

I'll recreate that sound and do a direct profile. The sound on the video was a recorded with a microphone, so the profile sound will depend upon the cabinet you use. The video was done with Vintage 30 speakers.

• I am not completely pleased with the result, but I uploaded a profile called Ceriatone Yeti Brown. I will have to work on the profile again, as it is not exactly like the video. The video was done with a Blue Bottle mic close to the cone of a V30. This is a direct profile, so it doesn't have that feel that you get with specific mic placement. I also tried to add effects in the Kemper, but I am definitely not a pro at that yet...

If this one sucks too bad, please tell me and I will remove it and work on a new version when I have time.

• Sorry, bit of a necro but, were you still going to profile the peavey invective?

Also, I can't find your other stuff on the exchange.

• Hmm, if the KPA depends on the Real CAB Quality during the direct profiling, that does not sound fair to me. If someone has a good cab 4x12 vs someone has 1x12 cheap one, is the direct amp profile going to sound different cause the choice of the cab used in the profiling ?

• It is down to the speaker impedence curve. A speaker doesn’t have a fixed impedence ie an 8ohm speaker isn’t actually 8ohms but changes across its frequency range. I believe the air in the cabinet will also have “some” effect on the impedence curve by means of how it dampens the speaker movement but this is probably minimal in comparison to the main speaker effect. The impedence is a measure of the load on the amp and how it dampens the power amp response therefore, in order to properly profile the amp’s power section you need to have the variable damping effect of a real speaker or at the very least a reactive load box.

• Best direct box I have found so far is the countryman 85, I have tried a total of eight different ones direct profiling, and so far this one is the best, although I have not been able to get hold of a Kemper DI box yet...
    A friend of mine does have Kemper DI but he lives too far away, he says it works well, but he’s never tried the countrymen 85, so it’s hard to compare, I think either one would be excellent, way better than the light pieces of garbage that are out there… I’ve tried lots of junk :D

Totally agreed! I've done some profiles with it, I've got a good results. Believe or not. I have used my Friedman + Country man type 85. vs Topedo captor + Country man type 85 direct amp profiles. the results from load box were better just a little bit.