procesing power?

• Hi guys - I am getting close to doing a kemper trial but recently came across this in another forum. I'm not trying to start a flame, just wanting to know if there will likely be a new version that can't be upgraded in existing kpa's before I layout my money. thanks for any advice or response!
    -------------

I have had a KPA since 2014. The profiling paradigm is unique. I love the way it sounds. And Kemper has added a lot of functionality to the KPA in the form of new profile types, and many new effects. All of these improvements have been free of charge. I certainly feel like I have gotten my money's worth.

However, it is time for Kemper to step up and create a new KPA.

The processing power of the KPA has not been upgraded. While some of the effects are stereo, you still can only use a single amp profile. And there are only four effects slots available.

The one digital input/output is constrained to 44.1 khz. This is a silly limitation in 2018.

Competitors like Fractal and Line 6 have increased the power of their DSP engines so that they can use multiple simultaneous amp models in up to 4 audio streams. The FX3 and Helix also have two stereo digital in/out paths with flexible routing and an editor making all parameter adjustments a snap. Nor are either constrained to a 44.1 khz sample rate.

I am hoping we see some sort of announcement at Musikmesse 2018 from Kemper.

BTW, here is a link to an article posted about the end of life of the DSP used in the KPA and the Access Virus (which is also owned and designed by Kemper). They may be forced to move to a different DSP platform which could be why there has been no newer and upgraded version of the KPA.

https://synthmorph.com/blogs/n…ture-kemper-amp-virus-ti3

• Heard this quite a few times in the past couple years from peeps thinking about buying one. Good thing they didn't wait to pull the trigger. The way I see it, you have two options buy one now and not worry about it or wait until March 12th and buy one from somewhere with a 30 day return policy. Musikmesse will be under way and you'll have your answer. My answer is don't care if they do come out with something else, this one sounds fanatastic and don't see the new one coming with improved amp sounds, maybe different format. Good luck on your mission! :thumbup:

• Thank you! If they ever do create a new model, what would happen to the lifetime updates on existing models..would that be the end?

• I'm new to Kemper ownership myself. Recently bought a powerhead with remote few weeks ago. This is my first post.

My impression is the hardware loads like my macbook from 2010.(with a ssd) I was much like you, debating on pulling the trigger or wondering if a new version would be released soon and waiting it out to see. I've wanted a kemper for years and they rarely come up for sale in the powerhead w remote configuration. When a demo at Sweetwater came up for sale at 10% off the retail price. I decided to go for it. I don't regret my decision, but I do question whether the hardware is worth the asking price as it is dated.

I think the trade off is worth it at present. The kemper is unique in what it does and offers.(and I own a bunch of tube amps to profile)
    I imagine support will continue for this version if a new one is released. With the updates and free rig packages being offered, I think you still get a decent value in trade yet still even if the features and hardware are dated.

• Hi Charles, this is an extremely large community and I don’t see anything stopping or becoming outdated with original KPA owners, there are just too many of us… I truly believe Mr CKemper has more integrity than that.

The only thing I can ‘maybe’ see in the future is a less expensive floor model that would come out maybe, without the profiling capabilities? I’m sure it would be a big hit as most users buy their profiles or get them off rig exchange…
    I am guessing that less than 5% of KPA owners use their own profiles they have created…
    I am really just guessing right now…

• Heard this quite a few times in the past couple years from peeps thinking about buying one. Good thing they didn't wait to pull the trigger. The way I see it, you have two options buy one now and not worry about it or wait until March 12th and buy one from somewhere with a 30 day return policy. Musikmesse will be under way and you'll have your answer. My answer is don't care if they do come out with something else, this one sounds fanatastic and don't see the new one coming with improved amp sounds, maybe different format. Good luck on your mission! :thumbup:

This has been asked fairly regularly since about 2013... ;)

• More power, to do what? Dual amps, better effects ? The effects are pretty good. I'm not interested in stereo as stereo rigs for me ( live certainly) are a bit pointless ( some won't agree).

The KPA still holds it own sound wise - it is at least as good if not better than Helix or Axe, certainly core sound.

I don't want or need different routing options or complex effect parameters.

If I buy a Marshall DSL, am I worried about a DSL Mk2....not really.

The baseline seems to be shifting in terms of what a guitar amp is for, progress yes but don't give me a world of constant evolution that gives minimal benefit, just makes things incomparable - the trade off is not worth it. Take Windows 10 updates...irritating to say the least, anyone noticed any significant benefits for the weekly updates??

• Sometimes I feel people worry about this issue as if we were dealing with mobile phones. The best things is to try a Kemper and see if you like it. It won't get worse if a MkII comes out.

A Kemper MkII would be well accepted by me though, because I could more easily afford a Toaster MkI to go with my rack.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Sometimes I feel people worry about this issue as if we were dealing with mobile phones. The best things is to try a Kemper and see if you like it. It won't get worse if a MkII comes out.

A Kemper MkII would be well accepted by me though, because I could more easily afford a Toaster MkI to go with my rack.

It's usually something along the lines of "objection of the week." First was the sound of digital, then the feel, currently the big topic of objection is "amp in the room". Then you have companies that are periodically upgrading their hardware, and consumers look at this as a sign that it's necessary. It might be if you're outgrowing your hardware, but it's a non-issue if you're not. Kemper, so far, has not.