Real AMP has a fuller body than Kemper

• Could you briefly explain your refining process? I sometimes think I am doing it wrong, should I be doing different refining depending on how much gain is being used?

Refining isn't mandatory anymore.Chances are the Profile is spot-on without it.

That's exactly what HellG told me ! And I have to commit, that we didn't refine at all. The direct result of the profiling-process was completely sufficient. But -as said- the volume match must be very precise. I had to raise volume on the KPA pretty much to match the real amps volume, but then I couldn't differ between both sounds. Neither the "sound" nor the "haptic feeling" (i.e. attack, sustain, response) Both amps were really exact the same. It was very astonishing to me.

HellG had been so nice to bring a Palmer-"Two amps to one cabinet"-device along so that we could compare both amps through the same cabinet by a flick of a switch.

• I wonder, has anyone tried moving the mic after profiling but before refining?

I tried raising the volume a little and you end up with a louder profile. I bet you that's how some of the unusually loud profiles are accomplished., I however think it messes up the profile.

• Just to re-clarify, the master volume, the individual rig volume and the volume in the amplifier stack all do exactly the same thing, correct?
    Or, does one affect the ‘tone’ more than others, or deteriorate,??
    I was always under the impression that they all did the exact same thing in the exact same way with the exact same result…
    Just checking to make sure…

• Refining tightens the bottom end and makes it Feel more solid and less hollow and flubby… Refining also smooths out the top end just enough to sweeten it up…
    This is just my experience though…

Snap! The modern bass heavy amps require refining just to get that low end right

• Just to re-clarify, the master volume, the individual rig volume and the volume in the amplifier stack all do exactly the same thing, correct?
    Or, does one affect the ‘tone’ more than others, or deteriorate,??
    I was always under the impression that they all did the exact same thing in the exact same way with the exact same result…
    Just checking to make sure…

They are all transparent but placed different in the chain and therefore react differently.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• They are all transparent but placed different in the chain and therefore react differently.

They are all transparent but placed different in the chain and therefore react differently.

No!!! you got to be kidding me… OHhhh, now I have some more listening tests to do… I thought they were all the same and all reacted the same and that they were all in the same spot in the signal chain ;(
    At least, I remember someone telling me that on this forum… Oh well…

• No!!! you got to be kidding me… OHhhh, now I have some more listening tests to do… I thought they were all the same and all reacted the same and that they were all in the same spot in the signal chain ;( At least, I remember someone telling me that on this forum… Oh well…

They are transparent in nature but what happens when you make the loud volume louder with loud volume that is then, made louder by another Volume? In other words, it is, affected ,by it but it's not an "effect".

I usually give everything a little bit but haven't as much these days. Normally for the longest time I would turn the volume in the amp stack up a wee bit, then the preset volume on the right a little , then the master volume till the output flickers a little bit more than just green. Oh and a studio eq or just about an effect in the effects section, I would give the volume on that a +1 too. That, definitely adds some oomphf on the way out :thumbup:
    Pretty clean for the most part, which could debated for, ever lol

• Do you guys leave the return volume at the default settings or should i raise it too ?

So far good results when i increased the volume pretty high and the tone sounded full as the real amp, expect for the mids like everyone mentioned , they are pretty low on the KPA and i have to increase it.

• I should say that increasing the volume made a huge difference in the body sound. Also i have noticed that KPA stores the profile with EQ turned on. when i turned it off, the profile sounds 99% identical to the real amp.

I though to share my profile , these are my settings:

Direct profile (cab off ) and not a studio, you need a cabinet to test it, not FRFR :)
    Guitar: Tokai LS128F with Seymour Duncan APH-2s Alnico II Pro
    Cab: Friedman 2x12 with V30's

Real amp settings:
    Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555x reissue
    P: 6.0
    B:6.5
    M:6.5
    T:4.5
    OUT:6.5
    lead:10
    Gain:6.5

Download the profile:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mars8…+2018-04-03+08-34-25.kipr

I'll make a recording of the real amp vs kpa when i get a chance.

• Forgive me if this sounds ignorant, but wouldn't raising the volume of an amp bring the cabinet more into play (resonances), and therefore introduce more "body" / weight / bottom end to the resulting sound? My guess is that the larger the cabinet, the more this bottom end would become apparent.

I recorded some lead guitar through a friends MB rig (4x12) back in the '90s in the middle of the night with a dude sleeping in the next bedroom. I had no choice but to lower the volume to a softly-spoken level. It turned out to be the thinnest (least amount of bottom end) guitar sound I've ever recorded, and yet that was the meatiest-sounding rig I've ever laid a mic to. I joked about the lead sound for years afterwards, referring to it as the "mosquito lead", and with good reason.

As I said, forgive me please if this sounds ignorant, but it seems like a no-brainer explanation to me. The example I gave is an extreme situation, but hey, that's how I learn - by extrapolating things to the extreme in order to expose deficiencies / strengths or what have you.

• Hey Mars,
    Glad to hear that you are 99% there! That’s amazing… I wish I was, LOL
    Did you notice a difference in tone with the EQ on? Even with everything set flat? As long as I have everything set at <0>, I don’t hear any difference at all with the EQ on versus off…
    I will try out your profile tonight, thanks…

• No!!! you got to be kidding me… OHhhh, now I have some more listening tests to do… I thought they were all the same and all reacted the same and that they were all in the same spot in the signal chain ;( At least, I remember someone telling me that on this forum… Oh well…

They will sound exactly the same. Except for the volume in the amplifier stack, which may act differently if you place a non-linear effect in the Effects section.

• @SQUAREHEAD Yes, with EQ on "with flat settings", the tone changes, i have a very picky ear and i can tell the difference. When the EQ is tuned off, i had to add a studio EQ to lower the low freq and raise mid a little to come 99% close.

• @SQUAREHEAD Yes, with EQ on "with flat settings", the tone changes, i have a very picky ear and i can tell the difference. When the EQ is tuned off, i had to add a studio EQ to lower the low freq and raise mid a little to come 99% close.

I’ll have to try this tomorrow ... I had no idea the eq set flat had any affect on the tone ;( but it makes sense, if the eq stack is included in the signal I can see your point.
    You have a picky ear and you have no problem with using the studio eq?
    I don’t get that... it is detrimental to any profile I have ever tried it on, don’t like it at all.

• Hmm, i still don't get why KPA lowers the mids after getting the finale profile. Is something that Kemper team aware of ? Any solutions for this besides increasing the MIDS from the EQ (tried that but they don't sound the same)?

Please don't ask me about recording, i've tried that and they sounded the same and not could tell which one is. But if you are at my location hearing the amp and KPA with your own ears, you can feel the difference .