Venting post... Any words of encouragement?

• I've had moments of what felt like I dialed things in but in this moment I feel like throwing the amp and MBritt Cab up for sale and sticking with my Fender pro junior and pedals.

I truly want to love this set up but it's not nearly as user friendly as I imagined.

Granted I haven't brought it out on a stage or rehearsed with it yet I guess that's the next step but i'm just over tone chasing. If I can't get it to sound the way I want it in home why would I want to take it out and chance tweaking knobs in a rehearsal/gig.

The fact that it sounds different through every speaker (Monitors, FRFR, guitar cab) is overwhelming.

anyway, end of rant... I really do believe in this product, I just haven't made the connection with it after 3-4 months.

• The fact that it sounds different through every speaker (Monitors, FRFR, guitar cab) is overwhelming.

... and what one would expect, surely Guy? Different speakers, especially those purposed for different uses, sound, well, different. The three you mentioned were designed with totally-different uses in mind.

All I can say to encourage you to hang in there is... hang in there, brother! This thing rocks, man. ;)

• I don't have the answer for you but it's unsurprising that the Kemper sounds different through monitors, FRFR and a guitar cab. If you expect it to sound the same you will be disappointed.

Monitors and FRFR are both, in theory, flat response. The first is designed as a near field device to be listened to within a meter or so - you are supposed to be very close to them. The FRFR speaker is designed to project for stage use so you are not supposed to be close to them and also they will typically be cranked far, far louder. Cranking something far louder immediately changes how your hearing perceives it and, because of the way these things are designed to project, you will naturally hear more of the environment (reflections) than you will with monitors in a reasonably treated room.

With a guitar cab, they are not at all linear and that is their charm.

I think the secret for you, if there is one, is to realise that all three of these are different applications. For live use, find a few tones that make you happy through either the FRFR or guitar cabinet and stick with those. At home in front of the PC with monitor speakers, find those.

• took me 3 years to get it sorted out,, but now its the best rig I have ever owned, I can do it all ,,My main gig, country, plus all the rock and hard rock stuff I care to do, also have a smooth jazz gig,, all with the same profile,,I started playing at 4 years old, took me till I was 55 to find a rig I could love, Mini mesa rec with a DR Z 2-12 cab,,,only 3 years with the kemper,
    Stick with it and and you will be happy,, it works,,
    http://www.mariomassi.com

most all the tracks are thru the kemper,, guitars ,bass, banjos, ac guitars , mandos,etc,,,

• In the more than 6 years dealing with Kemper (and in the years before with the Axe-Fx and several Pods, plus FRFR solutions) I have learned that for many users coming from conventional rigs it’s quite a paradigm shift to fully embrace this new technology, listening to a close- miked signal vs. your old trusty cab, having all these tweaking possibilities available on recall.
    It takes time.
    My advice is: Restrict yourself. Choose ONE listening environment, preferably monitor cabs, choose only 2-3 rigs and dial them in. Go from there, slowly and steadily.

• I suggest starting as simple as possible. If you can, directly compare the KPA to the amp that gives you the sound you are used to having. Do this at gig volume.

I started with just two live amp profiles - one dirty and one clean (they were used in multiple Rigs with different FX settings).

Everyone has different needs, but: I dialed in the Golub Marshall to give me break up to singing leads (depending on guitar volume), and a Matchless that came with the KPA for chimney clean to bluesy leads (also depending on guitar volume).

• Start by making it louder. Volume is the most inconsistent thing when working with different speakers, yet every guitarist expects their laptop speaker at level 2 to sound like a Marshall stack.

The Kemper also can’t be responsible for how speakers themselves sound. It’s consistent but speakers and amps ain’t. You can work at dialing in each unit to get them to the same sound, but then you go to a venu and plug into their PA and it’ll be different again. That’s the nature of the beast and affects mic’d cabs just the same. Think how your vocalist feels! That’s also a good reason to reality check your expectations for venue sound management.

• In the more than 6 years dealing with Kemper (and in the years before with the Axe-Fx and several Pods, plus FRFR solutions) I have learned that for many users coming from conventional rigs it’s quite a paradigm shift to fully embrace this new technology, listening to a close- miked signal vs. your old trusty cab, having all these tweaking possibilities available on recall.
    It takes time.
    My advice is: Restrict yourself. Choose ONE listening environment, preferably monitor cabs, choose only 2-3 rigs and dial them in. Go from there, slowly and steadily.

Really good advice,,

• also,,, My sound guy said I should stick with only 1 cab,, he said it was a really huge change,,, as I would switch from a profile with a 4-12 cab to one with an open back 1-12,,
    I did not notice it much in the studio, but over a big system, it was very much a problem, Once I found found the M Britt 2-12 cab , and The Morgan profile,,That was the end of the search,for me, I never looked back, I have used it on everything, (I play in two bands and own a studio and do outside sessions,)
    the cab can drastically change the sound of one profile ,,
    Good luck,,

• Tough to elaborate any more than others because they've given great advice. Think back to when you first started playing guitar? It sucked right, but with time, patience, and practice it payed off and you developed your technique and preferred tones from guitars and amps. Same goes here.

IMHO, the Kemper blows away a PJ and pedals when you get it dialed in. I just sold my 65 Deluxe Reverb yesterday because it was collecting dust for months. Every Fender tone I can imagine is available, and so much more! Try opening it up with a few select rigs at practice and take it from there.

Ps. Pm me if you want.

• also,,, My sound guy said I should stick with only 1 cab,, he said it was a really huge change,,, as I would switch from a profile with a 4-12 cab to one with an open back 1-12,,

This. The cab is like a big fat signature EQ, and in a band setting the place for a guitarist needs to be sculpted against keyboards and another guitarist mainly.
    If you change the cab your sculpted place within the band will be very different, and it will at best sound unfamiliar and strange, at worst muddy when you suddenly collide with other band members sonically.

• Here is my suggestion...
    Go find a rig that is the same model of amp you have or better yet profile your own amp. Then a/b the sounds and tweak the Kemper as needed. I think you will be surprised at how close they are, if not exact.

One thing I also do is add in a small bit of my direct guitar signal, this helps with amp feel for that instant response as well as adding the character of the instrument.

• Thanks for all the kind words of advice everyone. I will step back and take two profiles and work with them exclusively for now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the cabs to lock globally that have a lot clean fat headroom?

Should I work with profiles that have stock low gain or ones with high gain and roll the gain knob back? Not sure if that tricks the amp into maintaining that fat signal.

So far I've been using performance mode and trying to set up 5 slots (Jazz Clean, Mod Clean, Mid Gain, High Gain, Legato Lead) but i'm wondering if I can achieve the cleans in one and the dynamics of mid gain to holdsworthian violin lead one...

• The cab is like a big fat signature EQ, and in a band setting the place for a guitarist needs to be sculpted against keyboards and another guitarist mainly.
    If you change the cab your sculpted place within the band will be very different, and it will at best sound unfamiliar and strange, at worst muddy when you suddenly collide with other band members sonically.

Exactly what I wanted to say, Ingy.

• Being with-OUT the sound of a Kemper for a while is a valuable and expensive lesson.
    As one who "sold" a Kemper only to buy another a couple of years later, I can tell you from experience- don't give up and sell it.
    Put it in the closet for a few months, and then drag it back out. You will see what I mean then... ;)

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• @Ingolf

Here's a thought... If i'm going to find a cab IR or one of the stock ones and globally lock it then maybe I should just use a real guitar cab? I think this FRFR MBriit cab is hanging me up. It's got its own volume control and 5 different DSP settings that changes the character of the profile.

Thankfully I have the powered head so I can go back and forth comparing.

I guess for the sake of recording and FOH mixes though I should get the internal cab thing unified across profiles.

UPDATE:

Just unplugged the FRFR and went into my 2x12 cab and it's just a night and day difference. I think the real cab is the way to go for me! Everything sounds great and I don't have to turn a knob. Now I can explore the world of DI profiles. I also just re-uploaded the factory rig and to my surprise there's a twin profile on there made with a 335, the guitar I was using at the time, and it seems to really match up when you use the same guitar/pickups someone profiled with.

A brand new MBritt FRFR cab will probably be up for sale soon. Wish I would have tried more FRFR at shops before blindly buying one online. Granted the name and reputation is top notch I was eager to jump head first...