Problems with a Macbook pro any ideas?

• Something I think a lot of folks aren't aware of is the limited number of rewrites most SSD's can handle before they're done.

In the case of Samsung EVO 850s, arguably the most-popular line for audio folks, for example, the number of rewrites ranges from 75 for a 4TB drive (I think these are the figures - haven't checked since last year) to 150 for a 2TB one and 300 for a 1TB model.

In light of this, IMHO they're best-used in situations where they're read from often but seldom written to. Sample / VI-library drives spring immediately to mind, whereas audio drives that'll have to accommodate constant erasure of files as tracks are edited or erased, not so much... unless you use cheaper, smaller SSD's as "scratch pads" / audio drives and copy projects to spinners or wherever for archiving once completed.

• I agree SSD's are the way to go for booting up programs and the OS but id always run a secondary HDD to store all the other files on.

My only issue is a decent quality 2tb SSD will set me back £300+ and that just ain't happening! :P

SSD's come standard in macs now i believe so i don't know what the expected life span is of them?

My 2tb HDD comes tomorrow i just need to get to the studio to get the other mac on to install the OS to this new drive.

• My only issue is a decent quality 2tb SSD will set me back £300+ and that just ain't happening!

I feel your pain brother!

I'm lucky to have a lot of disk space in my old Mac Pro.

I run a 256GB SSD as a startup (El Cap) and a 2TB as a data drive.

I used symbolic links to off-load pretty much ALL my documents, Logic Pro stuff and other big data stuff onto the 2TB, so my 256 SSD isn't anywhere NEAR full and everything still runs super fast.

I even off-loaded my Portal 2 game files (over 50GB) onto the 2TB which I call my "Fusion" drive.

My music and video files are kept on a separate HD

The beauty of this for me is that I'm able to keep another 256 GB SSD with an earlier OS (Yosemite) in the Mac and still use the same "Fusion" drive.

I clone the the SSD and the Fusion drive separately using CCC and also keep a Time machine backup.

Check out "Symbolic links"...like Aliases, but much smarter.

Been doing this for about 3 years and it's worked flawlessly,

• Yes, SL's are the way to go, Gizmo. So is CCC, although I've yet to use it for cloning, something I've always used DU for and it's worked flawlessly, as I'm sure CCC would. No time machine here. I rely on manual backups and images only. Never even used Migration Assistant, ever. Call me old-fashioned, but I still don't trust computers for the most-critical things, especially if I can drag-and-drop setup files, for instance, myself.

SSD's come standard in macs now i believe so i don't know what the expected life span is of them?

It's as I suggested; it' all about how much you write to them. Reading isn't an issue; it's the limited number of rewrites that'll come into play long before any sort of mechanical failure, which can't really happen 'cause there are no moving parts.

• No time machine here.

I was like you for a long time Nicky, clones/images only.
    But I don't clone very day, and because I keep a separate TM drive in my Mac Pro I can do a fast incremental backup when I've either written some software or some music. Kinda like version control. My clones are probably a week or more old, whereas my TM is only as old as my most recent significant changes.
    I've come to respect TM more over the last few years...it has saved my proverbial bacon.
    (And I'm old fashioned too ;) Belt and braces so to speak. I've got images of drives going all the way back to Leopard..."just in case" haha

• @808illest did you cut power to the PC when it was running? I remember Corsair having lifetime warranty on their Neutron GTX SSD's as apparently that's common problem, either down to a power cut in your house or someone pulling the mains plug from your PC.

You guys have so many fail safes in place and backups you would all fit in doing my job! :D

• I was like you for a long time Nicky, clones/images only.But I don't clone very day, and because I keep a separate TM drive in my Mac Pro I can do a fast incremental backup when I've either written some software or some music. Kinda like version control. My clones are probably a week or more old, whereas my TM is only as old as my most recent significant changes.
    I've come to respect TM more over the last few years...it has saved my proverbial bacon.
    (And I'm old fashioned too ;) Belt and braces so to speak. I've got images of drives going all the way back to Leopard..."just in case" haha

Well, you beat me by one version, Gizmo; my images only go back to Snow Leopard. Baseline and fat images of all.

My "manual" Time Machine is CCC. I have backup tasks accessible from the menu bar which I run every time I do something significant, and often insignificant 'cause they're fun to run. All my setup data (docs and library files), iTunes, music video, samples etc. lives on drive A. The idea is to backup to drive B as-needed (when I make changes) and copy B->C once a week/month, and C->D once a month/3 months.

They're all spinners, each sporting an "emergency" OS partition. Main boot is an SSD in the optical bay, backed up only via images. No need to get fancy IMHO 'cause I copy relevant library files to setup folders on drive A.

Look, I don't know if this is ridiculous, but it's just how it turned out for me; never consulted anyone as to how I should have gone about it. It evolved incrementally from a single backup folder circa 1999... :S

• Look, I don't know if this is ridiculous,

haha, if you want to see ridiculous, I'll take a pic of all my old Macs and the boxes of floppies stored in my basement which go all the way back to my first Mac Plus in 1985. So really, I guess I'm WAY more ridiculous. (At least that's what my wife keeps telling me). In fact I still use an old G3 to run some old software I still need on occasion.
    So essentially I have backups going back to OS9.
    Sounds like we are a lot alike :D

• Indeed, Gizmo. I've still got my ATARI floppies from 1990 and Zip disks and SCSI cable for my EMU sampler from 1994.

Oh, and how about this one: my cassette backups from my ATARI 400 (1982). Like, as if I'll ever have access to an ATARI 400 again... sheesh... :S

• Well, you win the "doing something useful" award, Gizmo. Looks like a great effort; well done, mate!

I, on the other hand, only wrote a bunch of useless games on the ATARI 400. Nobody beyond my circle of friends even got to play them at the time. I had an assembler cartridge but only used ATARI Basic™ to write the games, employing ASCII characters which I modified using peeks and pokes.

EDIT:
    Now that I think about it, I used a "sneaky" routine that allowed me to define on / off values for the (8x8?) pixel character-display grid, not peeks and pokes, to modify the ASCII characters.