[Noob Question] What are the amp specs I'll need for a 2x12?

• Hey guys , sorry ahead of time for posting a thread about something so basic, I have been googling around but can't seem to find anyone laying it out as simply as I need it, despite this topic being covered ad nauseam.

I have a non-powered Lunchbox and am looking to move away from playing through 2 powered Yamaha HS7 monitors, because it simply doesn't sound good enough to me, unless I am playing cleans.. I've attributed this to them just not pushing enough air after doing some research. I have decided against FRFR because I don't want to take any chances spending money on something that won't give me an amp in room feel... I'm basically willing to accept a cab coloring my tone as long as it's going to feel as close to the real thing as possible. I don't do any gigging or shows, and am purely a bedroom guitarist. However I am open to having my mind changed by those of you who've experienced this same problem with the Kemper and have personally experimented with FRFR, cabs, and monitors.

But my main question is if I decide on getting say, a Hughes and Kettner 120w 2x12 16ohm Extension Cabinet how powerful of an amplifier am I going to need to purchase, and if you have some brand recommendations, please share. Not looking for top of the line but definitely am not looking for something cheap... I don't want to be sacrificing any sound quality. Just looking for something that will provide full, stable power for years to come.

Thanks in advance.

Edited once, last by MacDre ().

• The amplifier power requirement is a function of how loud you want to be. This is governed by your playing circumstances and speaker sensitivity. If you are only playing at home and have no intention of gigging in the foreseeable future you won’t need anything like the same power output as someone playing small stages next to a loud drummer and bass player. Also, the sensitivity of the speaker will make as much (if not) more difference than the power of the amp.

In theory you can have too much amp power for your cabinet but in reality this is governed by common sense and using your ears. Just because you have the power doesn’t mean you need to use it.

The other side of the coin is that you can have too little power. You are more likely to damage your speakers by using too small an amp but running it so hard that it clips badly. Again, how hard you need to drive the amp is governed by your need for volume.

Next, some speakers have a very clean sound while others have a natural “break up” that adds to their unique character. With the latter you need to drive them hard enough to get them really singing. So you don’t want too powrful a cabinet with high efficiency speakers if you’re going to use them at home.

Given the choice go for more power than you need rather than less but equally be realistic about how loud you need to be.

I suspect the reason you are missing the “amp in the room” feeling has more to do with the fact that the studio profiles through your HS7 include the effect of a full signal chain including the mic than the amount of air being “pushed”. Also you are used to hearing the traditional guiar cab severely off axis so the highs are much less prominent than the way a mic picks them up. Try lying in front of a guitar cab with your ear facing the speaker and start playing; it doesn’t have that “amp in the room” warmth 8o

Sorry its a long post but the short answer is it all depends on you own needs so there isn’t asingle right andwer.

• Camplifier are meant to be pretty good poweramps made specifically for non-powered kpa heads so I'd look there.

As for power, totally depends on what you plan on using it for. Camplifier do a 25w poweramp which would be totally fine for use at home, but anything above that it would quickly start clipping. You could just go for one around the 120 watt mark if that's the rating for the cab you're looking at, and then just turn it up as and when you need too

- Liam

• Matrix seemed to be the amp of choice for most....or trade for a powered KPA...

However, I personally think this is less about the cab for amp in the room...I think you do get that with FRFR.

I gig with FRFR as my backline and its difficult to distinguish ( at volume) any difference. I would try to test a Yamaha DXR10 as I think thats a good FRFR benchmark..

• Wouldn't a tube amp color the tone even more. Seems odd to me to go from a digital profiler and convert the signal to analogue , but I do prefer tube guitar amps to solid state. Just never really imagined converting one signal to another and how good that would sound, or if some of the signal would be lost (I realize that the way digital signals work is already losing some of the dynamics or what have you so maybe theres nothing to lose?)... or if it would further color the profiles intended tone on top of the cab I am thinking about purchasing.

• Wouldn't a tube amp color the tone even more.

At bedroom volume it's debatable whether the tube power amp makes ANY difference at all. However, when you get the tube amp cranked up it will definitely colour the sound. Some people like it others don't. The point about tubes colouring the sound only starts to have an impact when the tubes start distorting. For bedroom practice a tube amp is and expensive solution that really ads no benefit. For gigging its a matter of taste. It always makes me laugh a little when people post on Mesa Boogie groups etc saying things like I changed the tubes from 6L6 to EL34 and it completely changes the sound even with master volume control set at 1 for whisper quiet late night practice. I have a THB BiValve head that can take any power amp tube or pre amp tube and swapping power tubes make almost no difference unless it is really cranked. Even then the differences are fairly subtle.

• Wouldn't a tube amp color the tone even more. Seems odd to me to go from a digital profiler and convert the signal to analogue , but I do prefer tube guitar amps to solid state. Just never really imagined converting one signal to another and how good that would sound, or if some of the signal would be lost (I realize that the way digital signals work is already losing some of the dynamics or what have you so maybe theres nothing to lose?)... or if it would further color the profiles intended tone on top of the cab I am thinking about purchasing.

Very hard question. The cab I want worth 1500$ more or less and will give me the sound the same sound in show than in my room

• Thank you for the replies guys! Got some research to do.

I would opt for the Mission Gemini II but I already blew my load buying the Kemper, the remote, and the monitors, and decided to go Mogami plat cables for some reason too rofl.