Per collection thread

• I would critique the center guitar ---pan it L or R since you already have vocals, bass, kick and snare there. But leave the center solo. Maybe less reverb on vocals. Good tune, BTW.

That's my notey. :S

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Late one tonight, spent all evening rebuilding my desk layout here in order to put in some fancy new monitors that will now apparently need 40 hours to burn in, fortunately I do an hour or two of music every day so fingers crossed should get through that within a month.

[soundcloud]

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/soundcloud]

• Thanks waraba and BayouTexan !

You’ll be pleased to hear in the end I stuck with la France as it’s a sound I know and enjoy, so I’m now the proud owner of a pair of Focal Twin ST6’s which is quite a step up from my previous CMS50’s and quite painful for the bank balance, but with financing makes it a little more manageable. I had to rebuild my desk topper to accommodate them as they’re much larger than the previous speakers but they look tres cool and like they belong in some ultra high end 70’s studio which I appreciate. I’ll hold off judgement on the sound till after the burn in and I guess the proof will be if they have any noticeable effect on my sound or mix choices and how well those translate elsewhere.

• Thanks waraba and BayouTexan !

You’ll be pleased to hear in the end I stuck with la France as it’s a sound I know and enjoy, so I’m now the proud owner of a pair of Focal Twin ST6’s which is quite a step up from my previous CMS50’s and quite painful for the bank balance, but with financing makes it a little more manageable. I had to rebuild my desk topper to accommodate them as they’re much larger than the previous speakers but they look tres cool and like they belong in some ultra high end 70’s studio which I appreciate. I’ll hold off judgement on the sound till after the burn in and I guess the proof will be if they have any noticeable effect on my sound or mix choices and how well those translate elsewhere.

I don't think there is any wrong choice. Your ears can adapt to any brand but you are more likely to enjoy the ones you pick out yourself. Congrats on the new gear!

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm still playing catch up here lol. This is fab Per this should be a full song

• Late one tonight, spent all evening rebuilding my desk layout here in order to put in some fancy new monitors that will now apparently need 40 hours to burn in, fortunately I do an hour or two of music every day so fingers crossed should get through that within a month.

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

Another great one Per Great groove and melody

• Thanks Franjoe30 and waraba !

Yeah, they’re crazy expensive waraba but it’s been ten years since I last upgraded my monitoring and I got financing too. I’ve still got quite a few more hours of music playback to burn them in, but I’m enjoying going through all the classical music pop hits, Mozart’s Requiem, Carmina Burana, Sheharezade, Twilight of the Gods, Jupiter, Beethoven 7th etc. Once that’s done I’ll be able to give an evaluation of them.

• Was it “notey” again? If so then perhaps the solution is cut mids, boost low mids and add a little distortion?

Not as-notey.

IMHO a general rule of thumb in this case might be to back off on mid cuts. The mid mids are more-important than the low mids in this case I reckon.

If you solo the vox, the low-mid boosts might make sense, but in a mix context I don't believe that's what your vox needs.

• Thanks Monkey_Man , I'll keep working at it