Question: What is the best option for wi-fi extending?

• I moving my studio from the first floor to the second floor of my home. I currently have the router next to my computer and wired in (no wi-fi onboard). I get 460Mbps. On a wi-fi laptop, I get 430Mbps. On the second floor where the new studio will be, I get 140Mbps (on the floor) in the center of the room, However, where the computer will be place against a wall, the signal drops to around 80Mbps. These are 2.4Ghz measurements. The router also does 5Ghz (I know that's for short range).

If you drew a straight line from the routers position to where I want to place the computer then it's about 35 feet. So, it appears I will be at the end of the 2.4Ghz wi-fi coverage "dome" on the second floor. I picked up a PCE AX3000 wi-fi card for my computer but have not installed it yet. I also have a 4k TV (Roku) that will need wi-fi in the studio room. I would like to get at least 300Mbps. What is my best option for the studio move?

-Do I installed the wi-fi card and buy an extender?

-Do I need a mesh instead? (I don't really know the difference).

-Can I get a mesh and hard wire my computer to that and not use the PCE wi-fi card at all?

There is only one other location I can move the current wi-fi router to on the first floor that will not interfere with the other devices in the house. It may move it 10-15 feet closer but will introduce more walls in between.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited once, last by BayouTexan ().

• I moved my office to another room that has no ethernet.

WiFi wasn't doing it for me so I bought an additional ASUS router and created a mesh network.

Now my Surface Pro, Voip phones etc. are plugged into my office router, and it does 5g to the one downstairs.

WiFi is better all over the house now and speed is not a problem.

• I moved my office to another room that has no ethernet.

WiFi wasn't doing it for me so I bought an additional ASUS router and created a mesh network.

Now my Surface Pro, Voip phones etc. are plugged into my office router, and it does 5g to the one downstairs.

WiFi is better all over the house now and speed is not a problem.

It that how a mesh works? You can hook up two routers to one network? BTW, I'm using Spectrum for ISP. Their router is connect by a coax cable not a network cable. Their wi-fi adapter is then connecting to the router using a network cable.

• It that how a mesh works? You can hook up two routers to one network? BTW, I'm using Spectrum for ISP. Their router is connect by a coax cable not a network cable. Their wi-fi adapter is then connecting to the router using a network cable.

Yup, one ASUS router is the core/main, and the other one (my office) is the secondary "node".

You can add numerous nodes to increase range.

My ISP is cable as well. I just got them to turn their router to passthrough and that let my ASUS be the core instead of theirs, then added the other router.

The ASUS mesh setup is fairly simple.

Yoda Guitar suggestion is worthy as well.

• Yup, one ASUS router is the core/main, and the other one (my office) is the secondary "node".

You can add numerous nodes to increase range.

My ISP is cable as well. I just got them to turn their router to passthrough and that let my ASUS be the core instead of theirs, then added the other router.

The ASUS mesh setup is fairly simple.

Yoda Guitar suggestion is worthy as well.

I'll call Spectrum tech support on Monday and ask what they recommend. The PCE wireless costs me $50 so I can return it and put it toward a router with LAN connection if that is a better option.

• To add to what folks already said, I also have the Asus mesh router setup. Make sure the two Asus models are the same, or are mesh compatible with each other.

Also, if you already have wireless signal issues in the area you want wireless, a mesh router that's connecting via wireless back to your router is going to have the same problem: bad/no signal. I fixed this by actually running ethernet to my mesh router, and that works great. But I work in IT, so doing stuff like that is second nature, and may not be something you feel comfortable doing.

• To add to what folks already said, I also have the Asus mesh router setup. Make sure the two Asus models are the same, or are mesh compatible with each other.

Also, if you already have wireless signal issues in the area you want wireless, a mesh router that's connecting via wireless back to your router is going to have the same problem: bad/no signal. I fixed this by actually running ethernet to my mesh router, and that works great. But I work in IT, so doing stuff like that is second nature, and may not be something you feel comfortable doing.

The router they gave me is a Hiltron Technologies E31N2V1 https://us.hitrontech.com/prod…1n2v1-cable-modem-router/

The wifi adapter is Spectrum proprietary Sagemcom https://www.amazon.com/Sagemco…ty-Required/dp/B082F2PVYT

This is my current setup with my computer connected to one of the blue ethernet ports.

This is basically my problem and where I want to get a good wifi signal to upstairs studio.

download.jpg

What will work with this?

• You could dump the Spectrum and get two of these

Amazon.com: ASUS AX1800 WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX1800S) – Dual Band Gigabit AX Wireless Internet Router, 4 GB Ports, Easy App Setup, AiMesh Compatible, Included Lifetime Internet Security, Parental Controls, WPS

Or get one of the above and a set of these...

ASUS ZenWiFi AX Mini,Mesh WiFi 6 System (AX1800 XD4 3PK)-Whole Home Coverage up to 4800 sq.ft & 5+ Rooms, AiMesh, Special Wood Pattern (amazon.com)

• I only have 3 choices; Spectrum, Verizon, or Satellite. And I only have 2 choices for location; where it is now or in the den (both on first floor).

• I only have 3 choices; Spectrum, Verizon, or Satellite. And I only have 2 choices for location; where it is now or in the den (both on first floor).

That would very much surprise me.

To be clear, you should be able to keep the modem, and just replace the Spectrum wireless router.

• That would very much surprise me.

To be clear, you should be able to keep the modem, and just replace the Spectrum wireless router.

That won't help since the wifi adapter needs to be plugged in to the modem/router. So both are in the same location. The modem must be cable connect.

• That won't help since the wifi adapter needs to be plugged in to the modem. So both are in the same location. The modem must be cable connect.

Right. What I'm saying is to replace the existing Spectrum wireless router with an ASUS one, then mesh that.

That's what I did.

• Spectrum offers are not the same everywhere I know, but here in California, you don't have to use the Spectrum router. Instead they will give you a cable modem, and you can use your own router. This would be the way you'd want to do it if you plan on trying the mesh routing idea. Again, though, if you already have signal issues getting to that side of the house, the mesh router will have the same issues unless you run an ethernet wire to that side to plug into the mesh router. Another option if you have to use wireless to connect the mesh router is to be very flexible with its placement: find a location on that side of the house that gets a good signal from the main router, and install the mesh router there. Then the mesh router will fill that area with wireless signal, hopefully covering the area(s) you need.

• After researching all this wifi stuff, I decided to "back-hook-up" my home's Cat5 cables. I have a cat5 outlet by the wifi router's current position and a cat5 outlet where I want to move to. So all I need to do is go to the main junction and couple those two cat5 runs together for a straight run from room to room. So all I do next is come out the Wifi LAN to the first floor jack and just plug the computer into the jack on the second floor and 500Mbps bingo! I only have to spend $35 for cat5 crimper and male ends. The full length of cat5 from point to point should be no more than 100 ft and 3 total couplings so drops shouldn't be an issue.

• After researching all this wifi stuff, I decided to "back-hook-up" my home's Cat5 cables. I have a cat5 outlet by the wifi router's current position and a cat5 outlet where I want to move to. So all I need to do is go to the main junction and couple those two cat5 runs together for a straight run from room to room. So all I do next is come out the Wifi LAN to the first floor jack and just plug the computer into the jack on the second floor and 500Mbps bingo! I only have to spend $35 for cat5 crimper and male ends. The full length of cat5 from point to point should be no more than 100 ft and 3 total couplings so drops shouldn't be an issue.

Perfect.

• It did not look like regular Wifi Extenders would work anyway since they only boost reception to dead areas. They do not increase Mbps speed and can actually lower speed when boosting. A second router or mesh system would do but that was going to be costly. By coupling existing cat 5 lines, I can add another wifi router in the second room to expand wifi beyond my house for the future.

Solved!

• I had tons of WIFI issues at my house. There must be a lot of radio interference where I live. The only thing that fixed it for me was when I broke down and bought an Orbi system. It is a mesh system with a router and two satellite stations that connect to it. It made a big difference in my speeds all across the house. My house isn't that big. This system can cover a lot more ground than I own.

• After cleaning out the closets for the new floors, I found Verizon wifi router and gear that they never picked up from two years ago. Ha! Plus I finally found my old Sega Genesis machine and cool sought after game cartridges that I can now sell to get more... guitars!!!