NAMM News - Is there anything new from our friends at Kemper?

• Not had a chance to watch the video, but from this thread describing the new functions, I see this slightly differently - he listens to his customers as many have called for most of these items:

• Tonestack - many people grumbled that the tone controls did not react like the original amp. Multiple profiles was suggested as a solution but the alternative suggested was preloaded tone stacks!
    • USB audio - been a grumble from many people for sometime.
    • Android support - it has been pointed out many times that Android is more pervasive than IOS

So, whilst these are not necessarily things I'm too interested in, its a big thank you to CK and team for again thinking of us!

I'm happy to see another step change in the KPA but disappointed there is nothing for me to buy, ha! :)

Feels like Christmas.....

• Watched the video and wanted to share the probably unpopular perspective of someone who barely ever played a tube amp, let alone owned one.
    *For me* this liquid profiling thing is a step in the wrong direction.

I purchased the Kemper because it sounded awesome in the store and had amazing effects. Over the years it allowed me to achieve understanding of sound, EQ, and effects. All that without having to understand anything about electronics and quirks of mythical amps and pedals.

The Kemper controls are predictable, allowing me to shape my tone in a methodical manner. I'm a huge fan of that philosophy.

In the video they talk about some "cut" in AC30, and I don't know what it even means. Does that mean I now have to understand controls an AC30 which I've never played in order to make the most out the work of the creator of that profile?

One might ask, why do I care? Well, I feel like there's only so much a company can do at any given time, and I wish they would concentrate on other aspects. Which?

- Mini Kemper(!): A Kemper that I can fit in my guitar case is probably the last piece of gear I ever acquire. And I would pay a premium for it. As much as I hate wasting time learning how to be effective with a new product, It's becoming increasingly difficult to not get that HX stomp or friends. If I get one of these, I can't see myself sticking with the Kemper, because even if it doesn't sound as good, the convenience of having a single unit in my life probably wins. I wonder how many are like me.

- Rig Manager: I feel like it could really benefit from a faster pace of development, improved reliability, and basic missing features (No undo!)

- Effects: Kemper Effects are already amazing, but every time they add something new, I'm blown away, so more of these :)

PS. I hope my post isn't taken the wrong way. I'm a huge fan of Kemper, and their persistence in adding value to their product for so many years is

incredible! Just putting out there a different voice than what I normally see :)

• In the video they talk about some "cut" in AC30, and I don't know what it even means. Does that mean I now have to understand controls an AC30 which I've never played in order to make the most out the work of the creator of that profile?

Guitar amps typically have passive EQs in the tonestack. This basically means that you can only "cut" frequencies and not boost. All guitar amps have at least some mid cut for example. But the amount, range and center frequency differ. Same for the other EQ bands Currently we can only use a generic EQ provided in the tonestack of the Profiler. But soon you will be able to choose from a variety of tonestack models of different guitar amps.

So the goal here is that you need to understand the Vox AC30 tonestack much less than before, once you pick the AC30 tonestack model. It's supposed to act like the knobs on a real AC30.

• Guitar amps typically have passive EQs in the tonestack. This basically means that you can only "cut" frequencies and not boost. All guitar amps have at least some mid cut for example. But the amount, range and center frequency differ. Same for the other EQ bands Currently we can only use a generic EQ provided in the tonestack of the Profiler. But soon you will be able to choose from a variety of tonestack models of different guitar amps.

So the goal here is that you need to understand the Vox AC30 tonestack much less than before, once you pick the AC30 tonestack model. It's supposed to act like the knobs on a real AC30.

And, very important to me, you don't have to. It's an extra tone shaping tool added to the Kemper that do not change anything in what you have already done. 13 years later you have a ton of added features....but you can still pick up your very first tweaked rig and it will sound unchanged. I know of no other equipment that allows you this...Kudos and big thanks to all the Kemper team

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• Watched the video and wanted to share the probably unpopular perspective of someone who barely ever played a tube amp, let alone owned one.

I purchased the Kemper because it sounded awesome in the store and had amazing effects. Over the years it allowed me to achieve understanding of sound, EQ, and effects. All that without having to understand anything about electronics and quirks of mythical amps and pedals.

The Kemper controls are predictable, allowing me to shape my tone in a methodical manner. I'm a huge fan of that philosophy.

In the video they talk about some "cut" in AC30, and I don't know what it even means. Does that mean I now have to understand controls an AC30 which I've never played in order to make the most out the work of the creator of that profile?

I don't think your comments should be taken negatively, no issue there.

Personally I'm also not too bothered about the profiles acting like the original either BUT if you look at many commercial profilers, they create 10's of profiles to cover a tonal range, whereas this should reduce that need ( not eliminate). It takes the KPA away from "snapshoting" to a "full" profile of the amp. So as mentioned, its less to think about - you load an AC30 and you basic have something that behaves just like an AC30..

Also, you can choose to evoke this so for users like you ( and partially me) it won't make any difference.

With regards to where they direct their efforts, I don't need a mini Kemper so I would kick back at that....my obvious point is, we all want something slightly different and they can't do everything. I'm very encouraged that they have addressed requests for these functions and so are listening to users....so perhaps a mini kemper will appear :)

Sorry, but I never understood naysayers complaint before something is even released and tried and tested. I always wait until I have an opinion. You might like it. Give it a try first.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• This! I don't understand the yaysayers either for the same reason.

I didn't read it that way...it was the direction Kemper has gone with this and I sort of get it. Some people don't care about correct interactivity and actually there is a benefit to linear changes BUT some people do. I think he is just expressing its not for him, which is OK...

• Guitar amps typically have passive EQs in the tonestack. This basically means that you can only "cut" frequencies and not boost. All guitar amps have at least some mid cut for example. But the amount, range and center frequency differ. Same for the other EQ bands Currently we can only use a generic EQ provided in the tonestack of the Profiler. But soon you will be able to choose from a variety of tonestack models of different guitar amps.

Thank you for the info! I had no idea real amps work this way.

I understand the appeal of this for someone who's used to the "UI" of an AC30, and maybe owns one. But *for me* AC30, or JCM something something, or Marshall are nothing more the mythical names/youtube videos.

In fact, when I audition profiles, honestly, I can't say I gravitate to any specific "amp", nor did it help me develop any idea of what sound is associated with each brand. Seems to me that the way the amp was profiled affects the sound way more. Goes without saying, I would never profile an amp nor do I have one to profile.

This is a big part of why I found Kemper appealing to begin with. The sounds are created by studio pros, recreating the most iconic sounds in Rock. if I want to tweak, I tweak the sound with generic sound terms, not the so called "guitar amp".

I guess I hope this shift towards modelling will not change the focus of the unique philosophy Kemper had so far, making it harder for me to shape the sound.

Honestly, the only reason why I'm sharing my take is to perhaps help Kemper gain insights on maybe different parts of its customer base.

For example, You know what would help me get better sounds instead of more knobs ? A better/more prominent profile rating system, so I can really find out what the community thinks sounds good. Just a different way of looking at things :)

• I wasn't calling GearJocke a yaysayer. I was simply saying that we should all wait and see before announcing how good or bad it might be.

Why does it matter to you how other people choose to react? Whether you agree or not - you're being a wet blanket. A killjoy.

Wanting everyone to "wait and see". Yeah....OK, dad.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Sorry, but I never understood naysayers complaint before something is even released and tried and tested. I always wait until I have an opinion. You might like it. Give it a try first.

You're right! honestly, in my own way, I'm complimenting Kemper on how amazing it sounds today, and my disbelief that there's an amp sound that it cannot achieve today with its current feature set. And the other thing, for my own selfish reasons, I wish they just dropped everything and just worked to bring me a mini Kemper, so I don't have to buy a different brand of a do-it-all pedal ^^

• My 'wait and see' is a simple reality. With regard to whether liquid profiling results in tone improvements - we don't know. But you can feel free to spike the football on the 5 yard line. My view should have no effect on yours.

• My 'wait and see' is my simple reality. With regard to whether liquid profiling results in tone improvements - we don't know. But you can feel free to spike the football on the 5 yard line. My view should have no effect on yours.

FIFY

Other than reminding me of an overbearing stick-in-the mud? Nah. I'm enjoying myself quite a lot.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche