Holdsworth Style 8 serial Or Parallel Delays

• The Yamaha UD Stomp that Allan Holdsworth helped develop has 8 delays which can be run simultaneously in series or parallel.

This would be incredible, because NO OTHER piece of gear can do it.

There really is no other way to get Holdsworth’s tones without this. (I know; I owned 3 UD stomps and 4 MagicStomps, along with dozens of delay pedals and modelers over the years!)

I hope Christoph considers it!

Please upvote this guys if it sounds like a good idea!

-Matt

• OP would need to run those two quad delays in parallell, don't know if this is possible? All the 8 delay paths would need to be set independent of each other, and not feed into each other. They would also need independent panning and levels, if I remember the Holdsworth UD presets correctly.

• OP would need to run those two quad delays in parallell, don't know if this is possible? All the 8 delay paths would need to be set independent of each other, and not feed into each other. They would also need independent panning and levels, if I remember the Holdsworth UD presets correctly.

I think that as long as the two quad or rhythmic delays are placed in the Delay and Reverb slots the should be able to provide 8 parallel delays .

• Put two quad delays in the delay and reverb slots, than go to rig settings and turn "del+rev routing" all the way to the left, which will make them parallel.

i tried the UD Holdsworth settings in this post not long ago (Wheresthedug was so nice to calculate the ms to % for us 🤘) :

Parallel fx, more slots.

I think you can get better results when you replace the first 4 delay times (which are very very short and aim to give you some kind of early reflections but in a "out of phase way" ) with a short ambience or the Space setting. And maybe one of the wideners like Phase Widener.

• What I’m having difficulty implementing is how to program the Kemper to get Holdsworth style delays when the parameters listed between the two units are different.

For example, here’s a Yamaha UD Stomp Holdsworth patch with the parameters named, and values:

Delay Line Number:

1. Wav- Sine , Phase- Normal

Group- 1 > 1, Tap- 100%,

Time: 29.7, Level 10, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L 10

2. Wav- Sine, Phase- Normal

Group- 2>2, Tap- 100%,

Time: 40, Level 10, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L 10

3. Wav- Sine, Phase- Normal

Group- 3>3, Tap- 100%,

Time: 96, Level 4, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L 5

4. Wav- Sine, Phase- Normal

Time: 110, Level 4, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L5

Etc, all the way through delays 5-8

I get the obvious things— time is in milliseconds, Level is “mix” I assume, Pan L means panned Left, L10 means panned 100% left.

But why are there TWO levels, “Level” and “Effect Level”? One must mean percent mix, but why a 2nd level control? (The Yamaha Manual doesn’t explain it)

Group 1> 1, 2>2, 3>3 apparently means each delay feeds into the next.

How can you do this with the Quad Delay. Can you even do it?

Apparently the Yamaha gives you an option to choose the type of Wave pattern, Sine, Triangular, Saw, etc.

But how would you choose this in the Kemper WITHIN its quad delay settings? You can’t.

What about Phase? There’s no phase option in the Kemper.

What about individual panning levels in the Kemper if you are programming the Quad Delay, and you are simply playing through a SINGLE guitar cabinet? The Yamaha pedal allows you to program this, and play through a single guitar cab in mono, yet the SOUND you hear DOES come across as “dimensional” having a “Spatial Perception” of thickened modulated delays with a reverb like effect. However, apparently you CAN’T program the Quad Delay to Pan Left and Right through a mono out to a single cabinet?

Any ideas HOW I could recreate these settings in the Kemper?