Kemper cured my problems I had programming my Helix :)

• I had a nightmare programming my Helix; I could never get the perfect tone I was looking for— saturated high gain, with clarity, but no harshness.

For years I tried model after model, screwing with the EQ, auditioning IRs endlessly…

Then I downloaded just TWO high gain profiles, and BOOM, instant success!!!

I am so happy to FINALLY get the amp tone I have always wanted.

Now, I am facing a new problem though:

Trying to program the delay/modulation/reverb I like.

Having owned a bazillion pedals over the years, and knowing EXACTLY how a deluxe memory man, EP3, and various reverb units sound, I am a bit flummoxed dealing with the Kemper’s version of these effects.

With the Helix, you can pick a memory man, or a reverb or a delay based upon a model of that EXACT pedal. You know what it SHOULD sound like, and you know to adjust the parameters to get exactly what you want.

However, the Kemper (for the most part,) doesn’t name these effects conventionally.

So, I’ve got a LOT of tweaking to do!

However, when you INSTANTLY have an incredible amp tone, it sure makes the process MUCH more enjoyable!

Thank you Christoph for making an incredible musical tool!

:)

• Mesa Boogie MKIII Colosseum

Engl Powerball

50 Watt Marshall Plexi

Victory Kraken (I think?)

A few 59 Fender Bassman profiles

A few Fender Deluxe Reverb profiles

These have given me ALL my favorite tones; I can’t even imagine looking for more!

• Glad you are enjoying it.

Kemper's approach as you have found is generally different, which is to provide parameters to control effects (and in some cases create presets e.g. Kemper Drive presents of Klon, TS etc.) rather than model particular pedals.

This is a disadvantage for people like you that have more intimate knowledge of a particular pedal and what to replicate that behavior but an advantage for people like me who just want consistent controls.

Perhaps in the same way they have created liquid profiles, they could apply this logic ( as an option) to effects as well - there is feature request area on the forum, defintely worth suggesting this :)

• You can buy an HX Stomp for that. I have one in the loop of my Stage and it works fine. But to be honest, I like the Delays and Reverbs of the Kemper in the overall mix better. I use the HX Stomp mainly for boosts and drives (much better imho).

I've had similar work flow complexity issues with the fm9, that's why I sold it. Life with Kemper is easier and now I play more the guitar, again.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• I think Christoph wanted more to bring few effects with a huge panel. It seems more like a sound engineer approach than a guitarist approach.

There are effects presets to mimic some known pedals but there's only one kind of effect that can turn your pedal into another one if you turn the button out of limits.... I understand that it's easier to be lost but on the other hand, you can totally change your pedal just with morphing without monopolize another FX slot, plus i assume you can "create" FXs that don't exist....

• Does the HX have the ADT delay? If that’s what I’m having trouble recreating on the Kemper.

Yes, everything that's in the Helix (block and fx wise) is exactly the same in the Stomp, including sound. The main difference is that it only has about 1/4 of the computing power of the Helix.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• Thanks for the info!

I’m willing to spend the time needed to learn how to use the Kemper’s effects, but if months go by and I’m STILL stumped, I’ll consider buying the HX as an option.

• Does the HX have the ADT delay? If that’s what I’m having trouble recreating on the Kemper.

According to google (as I'm no expert), ADT is normally created using tape delay.

There is a tape delay effect and so I would assume playing with a very fast slapback using tape delay might simulate the ADT effect you are after?

• Yes, everything that's in the Helix (block and fx wise) is exactly the same in the Stomp, including sound. The main difference is that it only has about 1/4 of the computing power of the Helix.

Of course, the other difference is the number of connections. The Stomp sounds exactly the same as other Helix's though.

I think the HX Stomp has one DSP chip and the Helix's have two; so 50% computing power. Quarter is the number of simultaneous processing blocks you can allocate for a patch?

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

Edited once, last by karlic ().

• Similar story here. I had a Helix Floor for about a year. Maybe I'm just not good at menu diving and dialing in? Regardless, plugging into my Kemper for the first time was glorious. No tweaking needed. EZPZ.