ISO crushing live KPR sound!

• Im currently using my powered rack through an Orange 2x12 and sometimes 4x12. I'm getting some great low end metal tones, but need wanting to cut through the band mix more. Any tips so I don't blow my speakers?

• A lot of low end tends to hide you in the mix. Try to tighten up you tone with a low cut and some extra mids. I Like to give my gain sounds a small push at 1 kHz. Allthough I‘m Not a metal guy, I have to admit.

• I assume you mean at rehearsals?

You want to go direct live, not off the backline and you are unlikely to get lost. Guitar cabs smooth sounds out and limit the e.q. options.

There is a studio eq preset called "cut the mix" which I found very powerful....

• Lots of time what sounds GREAT by yourself doesn't CUT with the band. This is especially true for metal.

The fact is, your guitar rig low end is NOT going to compete with the kick and bass that occupy that frequency range in a HUGE way. And really, your guitar shouldn't.

Getting a good mix in a live situation is an exercise in frequency separation. The guitar occupies the mid range of the frequency spectrum in a band (as others have suggested, hi mids are your friend). It is a delicate balance. Keep in mind that the eq bands can CUT as well as BOOST :).

I am not a metal player per se, but I do love my chug when I play something heavy (Enter Sandman, Fuel, etc is about as heavy as I get). Even with metal, try to stay out of the LF below .... say 80-90 Hz. There is plenty of "punch" around these frequencies without getting into the meat of the kick and low notes and sub-harmonics of the bass.

Lots of metal has the bass, kick and guitar hitting the impact points at the same time. For you to be heard, you need to have your guitar eq'd to emphasize frequencies people can hear that don't conflict with the kick and bass.

It won't sound as good by itself when you do this, but just give it a try and see how great it sounds live.

If you want to really play around to see what frequency mix to setup, the morph pedal feature is your friend! Try setting up a parametric eq where you can morph the center frequency of one of the eq channels. Give the channel about 4-6 db of gain (this is ALOT) to about double the volume of that frequency (10db is considered audibly double). Play with the band and move that frequency around in the Mid to high frequency range with your pedal and see how different boosted frequencies sound with the whole band playing.

I think you will be very pleased with the results and you will learn with your own ears what sounds good in the mix!

• Since the easy availability of isolated guitar stems on Youtube I have often been amazed at how shitty some of the greatest recorded guitar tones sound on their own. But in a mix they can sound epic !