New Kemper User - UNpowered for shows?

• Hello everyone,

I had a good deal on a used Kemper a few months ago. I only play the Kemper at home (for recording) with headphones, my Marshall tower is a bit to loud for the neighboursšŸ«£

But this little piece of rocket science makes me feel pretty oldā€¦ Sonetimes I have no clue what I am doingā€¦ or what the Kemper does.

So here is my stupid question: Is it possible to play with my UNpowered Rack Kemper live? I use IEM with no boxes.

Do I need a Powerunit like the Palmer Macht 402?

Thanks for your helpšŸ¤—

• I serve on my churchā€™s worship team, which uses a quiet stage (no amps/speakers). Just IEMs.

I send a main out signal to FOH and use the in-ears to monitor. My Profiler is unpowered.

Thatā€™s pretty much the ā€˜normalā€™ way to handle the situation.

ā€œWithout music, life would be a mistake.ā€ - Friedrich Nietzsche

• There are a couple of different monitoring methods with inears. Both my bands send mixes back from the desk and have iPad/iPhone mixes for monitoring

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• YMMV but i tested a powered Kemper in the shop and found that it ran warm. I don't like electronics that go warm if not hot. My unpowered Kemper runs nice and cool. There are lots of possibilities, do a search here, FRFR amps etc.

• YMMV but i tested a powered Kemper in the shop and found that it ran warm. I don't like electronics that go warm if not hot. My unpowered Kemper runs nice and cool. There are lots of possibilities, do a search here, FRFR amps etc.

Having run a powered Kemper for 8 years with no issues not quite sure what your point is....

• An unpowered unit will not drive a passive guitar cab, so you have multiple options:

1) Just use IEM's - but other band members need to hear you as well, so they also need them

2) Use the in house monitors - this is the most common solution but assumes a venue has a foldback system. Virtually all do

3) Buy a powered Kabinet

4) Buy a separate power amp and use a cab - either FRFR or Guitar cab or Kabinet

Soā€¦..no valve amps, thenā€¦..

• You can replace valves/tubes. I have a NAD hifi stereo amp that ran hot. It had to be sent to the importer for an expensive repair.

To discount any amp that generates heat - which is to say all of them - based on one experience seems overkill. NAD makes good stuff, so I can only surmise something was faulty and caused a problem.

Sometimes stuff breaks.

Heat in and of itself isnā€™t bad. Proper design allows for it and reliability becomes a complete non-issue.

Iā€™ve got a Denon receiver I bought new in the 80ā€™s. To this day, it gets nice and toasty when usedā€¦yet....never an issue no matter how hard the amp is pushed.