Kemper player: functionality of its big brothers

• You're right. of course.

I naively bought it immediately upon seeing a picture and some advertising blurbs. I admit I had the expectation of some real innovation.

I’m not sure what innovation you could ask for that hasn’t already been introduced. Especially for so much less than the larger units. The fact it exists at all is surprising to me.

The Player is something thats been asked for for….….ever.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I’m not sure what innovation you could ask for that hasn’t already been introduced. Especially for so much less than the larger units. The fact it exists at all is surprising to me.

The Player is something thats been asked for for….….ever.

The Kemper effects are enviable. The unit is heavily compromised by not including them. A tiny screen naming the rig (and even for tuning) would have been more than useful. I'm not even sure, but is 50 rig slots the limit? It's ok. It would have been mind blowing 5 years ago. But it isn't where the market is right now.

• Just curious. Where did you buy it that doesn't have a return policy?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• The Kemper effects are enviable. The unit is heavily compromised by not including them. A tiny screen naming the rig (and even for tuning) would have been more than useful. I'm not even sure, but is 50 rig slots the limit? It's ok. It would have been mind blowing 5 years ago. But it isn't where the market is right now.

I believe you will not be the only one that thinks this.

I understand the player is NOT just a smaller stage. I also think that many will infer that it is despite what the documentation states.

The difference between "profile", rig and performance are details that are easily missed by non KPA advanced owners.

This will continue to be a problem IMO because the market has been conditioned to think this way by other competing products.

Maybe we could start a thread asking for a "Kemper Player Plus" 😁

• We didn't have a 'you guys developed the wrong product / added the wrong feature' post for a while ;) ^^

/s

Hi Don, I've been on forums a long time - not this one, admittedly. I see you're a moderator and appear to have reached god-mode, which seems to encourage pointless comments like you made above. The truth is that the Player isn't receiving amazing feedback online. I have a Stage and a Toaster and I think I know enough about the Kemper models and their competitors to know the Player has limited appeal. I think the Player will only redeem itself by offering all the effects (and same number of effect slots). It's a forum opinion - a first in the annals of history!

I've had a pleasing path with Kemper products because they were committed to innovating their existing products. I've been quite amazed and grateful for the increased functionality added to my Stage and Toaster over the years.

It seems the Player may see some innovations under a user pays approach. This is a departure from what they have been doing up until now. In truth, I have been conditioned to expect free upgrades to the Player. So I bought it as soon as it was released. Many will say "Why shouldn't Kemper charge for upgrades?". Fair enough, let the market decide how valuable they are.

• The Player still has "rigs" - it's just that they are not as comprehensive.

Maybe a new name like "mini-rigs" or, (if I'm being rude), "handicapped-rigs" is appropriate.

• As I said before - and by your own admission - you should have read first, then ordered.

You’re not happy, and I understand that. You can return it.

But the Player does *exactly* what they said it does. Claiming it should ‘do more’ or call them ‘mini-rigs is crap. Sour grapes.

• I’ve had my Player since Christmas. I love it. I’m a home player with too much gear. I have five nice amps and I haven’t touched any of them since I got the player. This plus a couple gain pedals through my Yamaha Monitors is just perfect.

I had a Kemper powered toaster several years ago. Loved it for a while but then after one of the updates it never sounded good again. I spent way too much time trying to reset, reload, fix that thing and got fed up with it. Traded it in to Guitar Center. A year or two later I bought a Kemper non powered rack and a powered Kone. Never loved that one at all. I should’ve bought studio monitors with that one, but just never did do it. Sold it too. I was done with Kemper.

When this was announced for just $699 I didn’t even have to think about it. Just ordered it. It’s perfect for me. The screen is HUGE and easy to read. Because it’s my iPad and it’s up by my eyes, not down on the floor. I love the Bluetooth because play at home with songs and backing tracks. If they add more features, I’ll consider buying those too. But I don’t really need anything. I do wish it had an on/off switch. But that’s really it.

You guys moaning over every little detail, hey this one ain’t for you. It’s for me. Get over it. Quit trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

• Direct from Kemper. I don't even know their return policies tbh.

I think you can return it. You'll have to pay for shipping though. Something to consider perhaps?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Official Post

I see you're a moderator and appear to have reached god-mode, which seems to encourage pointless comments like you made above.

The truth is that the Player isn't receiving amazing feedback online.

My comment has a very valid point:
    Based on empirical evidence gathered over 10 years in this forum, spread over numerous firmware and hardware releases/updates/announcements, there is always somebody who feels the need to point out that the features are not wanted/implemented correctly or in the wrong order, that 'the market' has moved somewhere else etc.

The online 'discussion' will always be led by a very vocal minority.

• i deliberately have never touched Kemper, too big, too expensive, the KPP seems, IMO, to be aimed at people like me and its priced ok as well (other than the dumb UK import duty LOL) - I want the sounds, the compactness, the ability to change the bass/mid/treble etc. on the go - its a great unit and has amazing potential - I've used BOSS/Line6 for years and I'm NOT missing the display or the extras that i never use LOL, its almost back to being a guitarist, it gives simplicity and provides functionality way in advance of its simple outward appearance.

not returning mine ......... ever

• My comment has a very valid point:
    Based on empirical evidence gathered over 10 years in this forum, spread over numerous firmware and hardware releases/updates/announcements, there is always somebody who feels the need to point out that the features are not wanted/implemented correctly or in the wrong order, that 'the market' has moved somewhere else etc.

Maybe you are mistaken a customer expressing what he would like..for a customer criticizing business decisions?

• My comment has a very valid point:

The subject matter of this thread is "Kemper Player: functionality of its big brothers".

It clearly raises issues relating to the functionality of the Player. Which I also did.

I apologise if I have offended anyone with my conditional and varied love for different Kemper products - it seems my love needs to be unconditional here.

• As I said before - and by your own admission - you should have read first, then ordered.

You’re not happy, and I understand that. You can return it.

But the Player does *exactly* what they said it does. Claiming it should ‘do more’ or call them ‘mini-rigs is crap. Sour grapes.

Type in Kemper Profiler Player in Google and this is what you see on Kemper's own link right now:

"The PROFILER Player is a high-level multi-effects processor with a no-jokes tube amp simulation, ask your guitarist :) You have to try our rotary speaker Rig"

It seems even Kemper doesn't really know what this device is.

Then, on the Player web page it says:

The PROFILER Player offers a selection of some the finest effects in the world.

This is a little disingenuous in a deliberate kind of way. It could easily be understood as meaning you have a selection of some of the finest effects in the world (meaning all of Kemper's present offerings). It could also mean you can select some of Kemper's present offerings (assuming they are the finest in the world).

My interpretation of the above was more than enough for me to pony up the cash. I didn't bother to download the manual before I bought the unit. It's still a fun device - even with its mini-rigs.

• *shrug* I can’t relate.

Spending $700 without bothering to read what you’re actually getting, and complaining about what you got as if you’d been duped is ridiculous.