Octave hum when playing 8th fret

• Anyone notice with any kind of gain, if you play high B and C strings at the same time, lower octave octave hum? Only if you play both strings at the same time, Like Chuck Berry style. If you play the strings separately, no low octave hum. It's like you are hitting the A string at the third fret if you are fretting 8th fret B and E strings. Check it out. It does not happen with clean tones. Hard to describe it exactly.

• Never happens to me but I don't have a C string. I wonder if you are getting some sympathetic resonance. You may just need a good setup and/or a change in muting technique.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Sounds like you are finding the subharmonics, a whole 'nother rabbit hole!

Try this: Finger A on the E string (5th fret) and G (8th fret on B string) Bend the G up to A (unison) Play this - it should sound sweet. While it is ringing, let the bend down (not too slowly or the energy be lost) - When you get past the pitch dissonance, there'll be another G lower than the one you are playing. I think this is what you are hearing. The more gain you use the stronger it will be.

Easier: Play a C on the A string (3rd fret) - Sounds ok? - now add, while the C is ringing, an E on the D string (2nd fret) and listen out for a C lower down.

That's why 'power chords' are generally Root and Fifth. The harmonics play nicer than when other intervals (thirds etc) are involved .... Caveat: IMHO 8)

• Are you using the soft shaper perhaps? This is extremely prevalent for me with the soft shaper and seventh intervals.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• This 100%

• Happens on my be100, mark v and all over the damn place on my supergroup when cranked. In fact the laney gets downright obnoxious with it at times. Possible we may be connecting the wrong dots though. You have any recordings you can post? This guy explains it pretty well:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited 4 times, last by dfdfan ().

• That video is exactly what I am experiencing in the Kemper. "intermodulation distortion."

Be fantastic if Kemper could update to filter those hum, like in this case that 31hz hum. Maybe adding EQ and cut mids would take care of it. I haven't messed around with that.

• That video is exactly what I am experiencing in the Kemper. "intermodulation distortion."

Be fantastic if Kemper could update to filter those hum, like in this case that 31hz hum. Maybe adding EQ and cut mids would take care of it. I haven't messed around with that.

IM is physics and is not going away. 31Hz is not mids. Have you tried the lo cut?

• IM is physics and is not going away. 31Hz is not mids. Have you tried the lo cut?

Not only is 31hz not mids its also not really covered by the Kone. I don’t know what tweak Kemper made but it looks like the basic Celestion driver is rated as 50 - 10,000hz but actually drops off from around 200hz.

EDIT

I have now watched dfdfan video. I think the 31hz wasn't actually the note's value but the difference between the fundamental and the harmonic.

• IM cannot be filtered out per se. Once you pass the gain stage it is part of the signal, especially in push-pull topologies. The most you could try would be to add shelf eqs in front of the preamp section, which again will alter your gain and tone not unlike using a tube screamer or focus type pedal.

• IM cannot be filtered out per se. Once you pass the gain stage it is part of the signal, especially in push-pull topologies. The most you could try would be to add shelf eqs in front of the preamp section, which again will alter your gain and tone not unlike using a tube screamer or focus type pedal.

Yes, IM is physics. Yes, it could be filtered. The lo cut on the output can definitely reduce the magnitude of ANY 31Hz input to that lo cut filter. Not sure how 31Hz was identified, but I suppose it doesn't matter for this discussion.

• The problem with filtering is that its not just 1 or 2 frequencies. IM is both the difference frequency and the summation frequency of the 2 initial note frequencies. Additionally, every interval (in OPs case a fourth) will have its own 2 additional frequencies to filter as well. By the time you get them all you will have chunked out most of signal you want to keep as well. Amp makes have been trying to minimize this issue for decades with various filter caps in various places. Key takeaway is that high-gain amps are going to have it and profiles of those amps are going to have it as well.

• I'm sure you can achieve whatever you want with enough effort. Personally I choose to accept the chaos and love it. Its what gave so many great solos of the past that little flavor kick. Especially if you're into dimeola, beck, satch and so on.