eight dotted delay (U2)

• I have been reading and searching how to get a eight dotted delay. And of course have to understand the steps in the process. I stumbled hereby to an old topic from 2019 about this subject. But I only see 2 answers which are totally abracadabra for me:

1. "If you are setting it to tempo, a dotted eighth = 3/16"

2. "There is the temptation to want to play in time with the dElay you hear, which obviously defeats the effect. I'd suggest settinG to dotte-8ths, (as paulTs suggests) but "tap tempo" your pulse

and play wiTh your pulse. The dotted delays should then magically appeaR."

That's it...

Could any explain clearly how to get such an eight dotted delay as a right setting for U2's Where the streets have no name?

• IIRC dotted 8ths are in presets already, and are available in the fx options among parameters.
    If your question is how to get rhythm expressed in fractional notes, you have to assign a Tempo to the rig or the performance (best choice would of course be the same metronome as the song itself X) ).

HTH :)

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• I have just one Legacy delay with a Note Value 1 of 3/16 (1/8) dot. It's just an ordinary delay and doesn't come near. I see several youtubes on the internet about this delay settings but they all are shown with other equipment amd pedals.. It's a compare between two different explanations, word use and units...

• Official Post

I have just one Legacy delay with a Note Value 1 of 3/16 (1/8) dot. It's just an ordinary delay and doesn't come near. I see several youtubes on the internet about this delay settings but they all are shown with other equipment amd pedals.. It's a compare between two different explanations, word use and units...

2. "There is the temptation to want to play in time with the dElay you hear, which obviously defeats the effect. I'd suggest settinG to dotte-8ths, (as paulTs suggests) but "tap tempo" your pulse

^^^ this is key.
    If you set a delay to 3/16ths (=dotted 8th) and play without any guide (metronome, drums etc.) you will most likely shift your tempo, so the delays will be even 8th or quarter notes.

You need a metronome, or even better a drumloop at the right tempo to play over. Put that tempo into the RIG setting, set up the delay (3/16ths and 5/16ths are nice) and play.

At first the delays will feel a little weird - concentrate, stay in tempo and try to get a feel for this.

• Thank you all!

I'm not sure how to get that first delay repeat between 2 and 3.

As for that U2 Streets.kpreset, I gladly will try this one if I know how.... Is this just importing in RM? And then how to get it in the fx section?

• Thank you all!

I'm not sure how to get that first delay repeat between 2 and 3.

As for that U2 Streets.kpreset, I gladly will try this one if I know how.... Is this just importing in RM? And then how to get it in the fx section?

When pedals were used for delay with no ms readout, it was a case of experimenting. You got used to the technique. Now you can play 8th notes and apply a dotted 8th delay to match tempo in a DAW.

So if you are playing at 120bpm, your notes would be 250ms apart and the delay set to 375ms creating the U2 effect. It sounds more complicated than the playing is. Watch this guy explain it for you:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I've used something like this in the past - https://www.guitar9.com/column/delay-time-calculator. When the band I was in played U2 - specifically Where The Streets Have No Name, I used one delay set to a dotted eighth at 357ms. At least to my ear....it got way too messy with a second delay. Maybe something around 100ms to 'fatten' things if needed...but the pulse was one delay for me.

Sound/repeats to taste.

With the Profiler....I just set the Performance tempo to whatever the song is (Streets is 126), set a dotted 1/8th....boom.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• You have to unzip it and then you can drag it right into the DLY slot of a profile you like in Rig Manager.

I'm sorry but I guess I take this much to literal... Unzipping is no problem because the file is allready there on my desktop. But there's no way I can drag this file from there to a physical amp and further into an fx section.

Yes, I can import (not drag) rigs krigs (not fx) from RM to my profiler but I haven't a clue how to do this with a delay or any other fx.

• Here's a quick Tipps and Tricks Video from Tone Junkie on how to import fx presets.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Kemper Stage - Macbook Air 2017 - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - Logic Pro X

• Hi Bakersounds, This video opened my eyes. I never have seen and done this but it's much clearer now. So it still has to be done with RM. And here's the reason what has mislead me. I have read # 9 carefully but I have been interpreting wrong about what you wrote there:

"you can drag it right into the DLY slot of a profile you like in Rig Manager"

What I understood was: Like you do when you want to import a profile in to the Kemper, using RM.

And I couldn't understand how to get an fx right and directly into the profiler (because I never have done this before)

(translation English and meaning Dutch can sometimes lead to wrong thoughts.)

And another thing. The video shows that there are many more folders in RM than I have. Now I see I have them too, hidden as sub folders (after a search...) but I never have seen them before or needed them, until now for necessary adding and using an fx in a profile. A real eye opener! Thanks a lot! :)  :thumbup:

And now I know that there's another extra new world to explore specifically finding the right fx presets to become a profile really alive...

• But now the following: I have that U2 Streets.kpreset in RM (under All Presets). Dragging it to the desired rig it is not possible. So I try Copy and Past.. message: all items were ignored, wrong file type, unknown or damaged files.

What next?

• It's nice that the video brought some new insights ;)

As for the DLY preset, I can't say whether the file is corrupt. I'll just try to upload it again. Alternatively, here are the DLY settings on a screenshot.

U2 Streets.kpreset.zip

• I have a delay preset in Presets, among many others. But how to drag this in the delay slot of a profile?

I have a lot of profiles in My Profiler

and I have a lot Presets in All Presets

I can open only one folder at the same time. And then...where to look for that delay slot in a profile?

• First you have to load your Rig into the Rig Manager by double clicking it. Now you go to "All Presets", "Local Library" and the folder where you have the DLY preset in.

Now drag it into an empty fx block.