Profiler Stage - Seem stuck in effects "wet" sound only. No amp <<solved>>

• First, I just got my Kemper Profiler Stage a couple hours ago. I installed Rig Manager, ran all updates.

Everything was working great. As what most people would do, I was going through all the different rigs and having fun.

All the sudden, while playing, all I can hear is just like I'm listening to the effects wet signal for each rig. I cannot really hear the amp. Even on highly distorted settings.

I turned it off and left off for awhile, rebooted the unit, but still the same problem. Even cranking the master volume is not making my channel inputs go red.

I have used 2 different input boxes, same results. If I plug headphones into the Kemper, the sound is fine.

I also have tried using XLR and TS connections with the exact same results. I have used brand new cables, both XLR and TS.

Anything I have missed troubleshooting? Again, it happened while playing, so I didn't click something or press a button. Both hands were on the guitar.

Thanks!

• Thank God for ChristianBad!!!

That worked! But....

As I said, I had just picked a rig and was jamming along, and then this happened. Is it something that a rig can cause the output to change? I mean, is there rigs that would change the output to maybe go to a different power amp or something??

It was weird, because since I posted, I did think to unplug the power cable, as I saw the power button illuminated. Still did nothing. Then I plugged a TS cable into the 1/4" jack on "Send" on the back of the unit. I then had a totally dry signal, no effects at all. I could see the light showing I had plenty of input signal. I'm usually good at troubleshooting, and I thought I had checked the obvious.

If I had a rig with a LOT of reverb and delay, you could hit a chord, and nothing then the wet signal snuck in. I'm like "great, I've owned this 2 hours, and messed up already...."

Thank you! As I said, I'm total n00b to Kemper, and have been thoroughly enjoying it so far.

• I'd suggest you treat your new Kemper like a new neighborhood. Don't venture out far and get lost. Go the the neighbor's house and come back. Then go to the end of the block and come back, etc.

Read the manual well during breaks and watch all the videos - over and over. You'll be leaving the city in no time.

Downloads | Kemper Amps

Video | Kemper Amps

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Welcome.

There is a learning curve - but it’s not as steep as you may think. The manual is quite comprehensive, but does a great job of providing insight. Once you get a feel for how the OS is organized, things get easier.

Ask questions when (not if) you get stuck.

Kind of like an iPhone….you can screw up the settings if you go mucking around while not paying attention.

Breaking it though? Nah.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I'm not sure how trying a couple rigs that came with my unit is venturing too far out. I also don't see anything in the manual that says a rig will change the output on its own while you're playing.

As I said, I was playing, both hands on the guitar. The sound changed to only a wet signal.

These suggestions don't really apply, but ChristanBad had a solution, so if it happens again, I know where to check. I had no idea that the output can change on its own, which is scary if I had this happen on a gig.

• Ben Decho

Changed the title of the thread from “Profiler Stage - Seem stuck in effects "wet" sound only. No amp” to “Profiler Stage - Seem stuck in effects "wet" sound only. No amp <<solved>>”.
  • I had no idea that the output can change on its own

If you think this is happening you should probably contact support. I'm a Kemper user since it originally came out and have never had this happen, and know of no way to change output other than manually or loading a saved output preset.

• Official Post

Generally, Rigs include the signal chain from Input to module REV. The Output Section is not included, but is global by definition.

You find the Output Source settings in the Output Section. These are global and by output. Here you can determine, if an output just feeds an unprocessed signal or a processed dry signal or just the wet portion ("DLY/REV Wet"). This explains, why the SEND 1 feeds another signal than the other outputs. But again these settings don't change, when you load another Rig or just play guitar.

You can set up wet sounds per Rig using the Mix control in delay and reverb effects. You can dial beyond 100% and from there lower the dry signal portion until it is completely wet. So these are by Rig, but don't change by themselves.

If you would just be using headphones, I would say the headphones or cable are broken. Or the socket of the STAGE is defective. If you loose one contact out of three of the stereo headphones cable, it has exactly that effect, that you just hear the difference between the left and right signal. And that is the wet portion. The same an happen with XLR outputs and cables, if the hot wires are twisted on one side. If you then mix these signals in a mixing desk, the dry signal portion is cancelled out.

I cannot imagine any scenario software and ahrdware included, where this happens by itself and affects all outputs. So please verify your assumptions.