Profiling compression problem

• Hello all,

First post here. I've been profiling and it works. Problem is, all my profiles sound very compressed even if there is no compression added in the KPA or anywhere in my signal chain.

Am I hitting the input too hard? What could cause this?

• No this is just a preamp. No compressor. This is the same preamp used for all my guitar tracks and it never sounds compressed.

This sounds like a limiter on the input of the KPA or something I'm doing wrong.

• Two things, first check the levels coming back in (and being sent) to the Pre. You can see these on the input and output LEDs and the volume when monitored from the KPA should roughly match the internal patch level (set up during the phase before profiling). Next check that the rig you're using to start out from doesn't have a compressor (and that the amp compression parameter is down at 0 too), the new profile will just take the same rig and slap your profile in it so be aware that you'll need to disable stomps etc.

After that then yes check input sensitivity and that your noise gate is disabled. Best of luck!

• Try to isolate your problem. Start without the Neve, just with a mic into the KPA Return. Be sure to adjust the profiling return level right. Check the Master output led. It should never turn to red. This should at least give you a clean profile. If not, maybe your cables or your mic are not ok. If the profile is good, insert the Neve back again and see if there´s a problem with int input or output level.

• Try to isolate your problem. Start without the Neve, just with a mic into the KPA Return. Be sure to adjust the profiling return level right. Check the Master output led. It should never turn to red. This should at least give you a clean profile. If not, maybe your cables or your mic are not ok. If the profile is good, insert the Neve back again and see if there´s a problem with int input or output level.

I can't bypass the pre cause the Kemper doesn't have 48v.

I fiddled with the levels today and think it is better. Guess I get confused with the language used on the unit. Seems a little strange to me to have so many "volumes". Why can't we just get PPM levels onscreen showing clear INPUT guitar level, INPUT MIC level...

Anyway, started my profiling session with a preset from And44 that I love and things seem better. Still hear some compression but more on cleaner patches..

Thanks for you help all

• What is the exact problem?
    Your profiles sound compressed in comparison to the original?

What do you mean by "I can't bypass the pre"? How did you cable your mic-preamp?

Most important: have you refined your profiles? They might sound compressed if you haven't.

• Yes I do