Audio to midi conversion

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Head/Rack

Subject: Suggestion: Integrating Audio to MIDI Conversion on Kemper

AmpsHey everyone,I've been using Kemper amps for a while now and I absolutely love them for their incredible tone and versatility. However, I've been thinking about a feature that could take Kemper amps to the next level: audio to MIDI conversion.

Imagine being able to play a riff or melody on your guitar, and have it instantly translated into MIDI data that you can use to trigger virtual instruments or control other MIDI-enabled gear. This would open up a whole new world of creative possibilities, especially for those of us who incorporate electronic elements into our music.

I believe integrating audio to MIDI conversion into Kemper amps would not only enhance the user experience but also set Kemper apart from other amp modelers on the market. It would be a game-changer for live performances, studio recording, and music production in general.What are your thoughts on this idea? Do you think Kemper should consider adding audio to MIDI conversion to their amps? Let's discuss!

Best regards,

Carlos Bekje

El Paso Texas USA

• I love the idea but not sure how practical it is. MidiGuitar2 app (soon to be MidiGuitar3)already does this on a phone or tablet without a hexaphonic pickup so it is possible. However, i’m not sure if anyone already holds patents on the process that would make it impossible for Kemper to integrate without paying licensing.

At the moment the USB audio in the KPA makes it possible to run MidiGuitar2 on a phone/tablet or laptop. Given that you would still need a laptop , tablet or external hardware instrument to create the sounds themselves i’m not sure how big an advantage it would be having the audio to midi embedded in the KPA and taxing its CPU. The main thing that stops me from actually using MidiGuitar2 like is the difficulty in turning it on/off via the KPA. I need to dedicate the morph pedal to send control the volume of the external midi instrument when I don’t want it for example. If i used an external midi controller instead of the remote i could configure that to control the eternal midi instruments but that would be much less convenient than using the Remote for my main KPA controller. In my opinion (especially now that the KPA can handle audio and midi over USB) would be to significantly extend the midi functionality of the KPA via Rig Manager. This could then be used to set up Rigs/Performances that make use of more advanced midi features such as MidiGuitar2.

• So the idea is that Kemper solves all those issues you mentioned. The point is for the unit to be upgraded so that the user doesn’t have to worry about the cpu or having to carry extra hardware. I’m well aware of midiguitar2 which is the reason I suggested implementing audio to midi internally. Kemper started designing synths ( access virus ) it only makes sense for the Kpa to have some type of midi capability.

Thanks for the interest

I hope more people jump on the thread

Cheers brother

• So the idea is that Kemper solves all those issues you mentioned. The point is for the unit to be upgraded so that the user doesn’t have to worry about the cpu or having to carry extra hardware. I’m well aware of midiguitar2 which is the reason I suggested implementing audio to midi internally. Kemper started designing synths ( access virus ) it only makes sense for the Kpa to have some type of midi capability.

Thanks for the interest

I hope more people jump on the thread

Cheers brother

I agree that having midi conversation built in would be the ultimate solution but this may tax the CPU of the KPA so much that it stops CPU intensive FX like the Delays and Reverbs from operating effectively (only my speculation not known facts). Therefore, I suspect that this would require new hardware rather than being a feature upgrade. However, you would almost certainly still need to carry some form of external midi synths/daw plugins etc soma fully integrated unit to satisfy everyone seems unlikely in the real world.

I understand the history related to Access Virus but draw a slightly different conclusion.the real USP of the Access Virus was in the synthesis code not midi. The Access Virus didn’t do any pitch to midi conversation so it is not necessarily something that their previous experience would help with. Where the Access Virus experience WOULD be useful would be for Kemper to create a synth FX block for the KPA (something like Roxsyn) that doesn’t even need midi conversation. That would be a game changer for me personally as I only need the occasional synth pad/arpeggiator type effect during a set and setting up a full midi system or buying a new KPA hardware device would be overkill for me although I do like the idea of all the flexibility pitch to midi could add.

What I was proposing (updating the midi functionality within the KPA/RM would allow the existing devices to pair with a midi converter such as MidiGuitar2 and allow the KPA to be a viable command centre for the whole rig.

• i'm all for the idea but i think the problem with that scenario is the reality of the cpu power and memory on the units. especially if are expecting to not have a computer or similar attached device, that type of processing would be a huge impact on the hardware and everything else onboard would suffer. not to mention how much of a massive development effort and investment it would take to build something like that into them. such a feature would have to be behind a significant pay-wall.

i would think, if anything, Kemper could develop more synth-ish effects sort of like what Boss offers. but remember that Boss's flagship guitar-synth unit cost just a few hundred dollars less that a Kemper Stage. Their most basic model is a couple hundred dollars but it's really not much to get excited about.

"No socks? No problem."

• IMO - this issue has been solved.

I'd rather get something like a Fishman Triple Play Connect, use pretty much any virtual instrument available and never be tied to any single device or brand for sounds.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• New
    • Official Post

I have some experience with guitar to MIDI (Axon AX-100 mkII and Graphtech saddles with the MIDI board to 13-pin) and with Jam Origin.
    I'm not using it since it doesn't work reliably for me.

What does work, is a monophonic solution. I use the Sonuus G2M together with a monophonic synth - DSI Mopho for example.

guitar -> PROFILER -> Direct Output (DI Signal) to Sonuus G2M -> MIDI to DSI Mopho -> Effect loop return post STACK which let's me blend the distorted guitar signal with the synth signal and put both through up to three effects. Sounds massive.

• I have some experience with guitar to MIDI (Axon AX-100 mkII and Graphtech saddles with the MIDI board to 13-pin) and with Jam Origin.
    I'm not using it since it doesn't work reliably for me.

What does work, is a monphonic solution. I use the Sonuus G2M together with a monophonic synth - DSI Mopho for example.

guitar -> PROFILER -> Direct Output (DI Signal) to Sonuus G2M -> MIDI to DSI Mopho -> Effect loop return post STACK which let's me blend the distorted guitar signal with the synth signal and put both through up to three effects. Sounds massive.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche