Honeymoon Period

• So I've had the KPA for about a month now and I've literally played it everyday for 4+ hours since I got it ( I really can't put my guitar down). I can't say that about any other unit that I have ever had. I was just wondering if I'm the exception or if other users have had a similar experience?

Every time I get a new piece of gear, no matter whtat it happens to be, I inevitablly get the " buyer's high" syndrome and in a few days it fades away and just becomes just another tool in the electronic pile that seems to get bigger every year. Even worse, I get the feeling that for as much time that I've put into it so far, I get feeling that I'm really just scratching the tip of the iceberg.

So what do you guys think?

Lp

• Yep, have to agree with you.

I had the first Pod 1 (still have it), then over the next 12 years went through all the other modellers, but I've never experienced anything like being Kemperized before.
    I've had my Kemper since October 2011, I'm still on honeymoon. :thumbup:

I'm re-amazed every time I switch it on.
    I use my KPA to demo in music stores/studios, etc, I loan my unit out to potential buyers whilst I'm waiting for stock to arrive...they refuse to give it back until their unit arrives.
    I get comments from pro musicians and engineers like, "I can't live without this thing". :)

Guys say it's crazy to have a 1000 rigs on a KPA, well not really.
    When I do a demo or loan the unit out I can turn the browse knob anywhere without looking and land up on a killer sounding tone with no searching or tweaking.

The KPA is addictive.

• Because of the fact that this doesn't just have great models of the amps out there, but that you can physically model an amp.....that is the factor that keeps me very happy with this unit. Also, there are some folks that are really churning out some great profiles. These reasons keep the unit fresh. I also really like the user interface on it and the overall intuitiveness on the box.

Now...if we get a performance mode on it, then it's pretty much the perfect little box!

My interest will be how reliable the unit is in the long run. So far after 4 months, all is great!

:)

• To me it feels a bit like a good marriage, the initial obsession of courtship has been replaced with trust and reliance - I'll not say love having seen The big band last nigh and Raj's infatuation with Siri!
    I'm not quiet as excited when a new profile is posted on the exchange as I've got so many, but I just use it to make music and can't imagine not having it. Which is more balance although my wife might disagree..
    :)
    Neil

• From the first demo I got hooked. Since I don't have the knowledge and the equipment to produce good rigs - actually I don't have to 8o - my main fun comes from playing this Über-Gadget at home and with the band. It is the first time since years where I am happy with my sound. 6 years ago when I got my Hiwatt I thought now the search is over, but I've spend considerable time and money to search and hunt for the right stompboxes to get this creamy, rich, a bit pincing, smacking and chiming sound - you guy know what I mean :)
    I'm glad I didn't pick the JVM410 over the Kemper!
    Despite all the catastrophic messages left and right on errors, red screens, dead LEDs and so on I'm one happy kemperette! Things will get good!
    Thank you CK and your Team in the "Pott"

Labrat

• I've had it for 5 months now and my main problem is I'm still just auditioning rigs so I can settle down and make some music. I know I don't have as much time as others here to play but the honeymoon as you describe is still on full burn ;)

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Before I bought the KPA this June I only played tube amps. Really basic setups like: guitar > cable > tubeamp with powersoak. So yes, in the first few months I spent a lot of time with my guitar and the Kemp, but I must admit that most of these hours I did not really play music. It was always distracting and enticing to go into the parameters and change some setting here and compare it there and so on. So a lot of this "guitar-time" was actually more technical than musical.

I was totally convinced by the KPA from early on but I had to learn how to deal with all these possibilities. The breakthrough came for me when I spelled a "tweaking ban" to myself for a month and just keep using the last good setting that proved right on the last gig. Since then I play hours and hours and hours.

Another revealing experience for me was this: I was a bit unhappy with some details in the sound but then instead of editing some parameters on the Kemp (I wanted to dial in some mids in the EQ) I decided for a change to sit down and just practice nice and warm picking methods. And after an hour of just slowly training the fingers for a good attack - bang, there it was: big sound!

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Another revealing experience for me was this: I was a bit unhappy with some details in the sound but then instead of editing some parameters on the Kemp (I wanted to dial in some mids in the EQ) I decided for a change to sit down and just practice nice and warm picking methods. And after an hour of just slowly training the fingers for a good attack - bang, there it was: big sound!

Yes, some of the sound is still in the fingers! This is a good hint!
    Right now I'm deleting rigs to get way below count of 100. Goal is to reach 50 to 70 to do the final selection during band rehearsal.

• I'm way above the 400 mark and I have been trying to get rid of some rigs to make things more manageable for myself. The problem is I really can't find something that sounds bad enough to delete. I guess its a good problem to have. :thumbup:

• I'm way above the 400 mark and I have been trying to get rid of some rigs to make things more manageable for myself. The problem is I really can't find something that sounds bad enough to delete. I guess its a good problem to have. :thumbup:

This is why a rig management tool is really needed. I want a way to group/categorize rigs so that I can easily find what I want, and can ignore what I don't want (at the moment), yet still keep a decent number of rigs in the box.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Since I purchased my Kpa, I have not suffered so much with G.A.S, purely because nothing else on the market
    Comes close ,, so I brought a a vigier wood to fill the gap. ,, Lol..
    The last time I was so excited about a bit of kit which I still have was the virus Nice one guys have great Xmas

Steve
    Mainly my own built valve amps and Kemper

• Since I purchased my Kpa, I have not suffered so much with G.A.S, purely because nothing else on the market
    Comes close ,, so I brought a a vigier wood to fill the gap. ,, Lol..

This is my actual problem :rolleyes:
    No more gas about amps (never had about pedals), but i'm getting crazy about guitars :thumbup:

• I consider the honeymoon period the point when your enamored with the newness of a piece of gear to the point in which you can not see it objectively and tend to experiment and tweak more than actually use it. From that perspective I'm far, far past the honeymoon phase. I spend maybe 10 -15 minutes a week trying out new profiles and I have less than 200 rigs on my box (and that will be under 100 soon). The idea of having an infinite number of rigs no longer appeals to me as I've found a handful (ok, 2 handfuls) of tones which meet my needs in ways other modeling gear hasn't to date. When I sit down with the Kemper these days, I play. Honestly, if it had a few key effects I use (and a few less bugs) it would be the ultimate all in one processor and likely something I'd play until it crapped out (hopefully a great many years from now). I'm hoping to get some tracking done on an album I've been planning forever next week and the Kemper will be providing all the amp tones.

• Will,

Just wondering... Instead of reducing the number of rigs you have on the box, isn't it easier to just add the ones you play all the time to the favorites category? And then just set the "sort by" option to favorites?

• Had mine for 6 months, And can honestly say in my almost 50 yrs of playing it's the 1st piece of gear I can't get enough of. :love: :love: :love: :love:
    I can't get over being able to go from a vintage 50's tweed to a Diezel or Bogner with a button push

• Will,

Just wondering... Instead of reducing the number of rigs you have on the box, isn't it easier to just add the ones you play all the time to the favorites category? And then just set the "sort by" option to favorites?

I want my unit lean and mean. My favs are reserved for...well...favorites. Everything else I'm limiting to utilities which might come in handy. For example, I might get asked for a dual recto type of tone. I dont want to try and sort through 1000 rigs and guess which profile will work. Ive got a single patch which I know is going to deliver. I'm taking this approach across the board.