Fizz on Kemper (audio clip)

• jaywarren,
    gorillabendz,

I'll send you guys a pm, so you can send me the exact rigs that show that behaviour.
    I hear what you are talking about, but I can't replicate it. (that's good news in some way, I guess) ;)

thanks!

edit:

haha :D

jaywarren,
    gorillabends,

could you please enable your private messages?
    thanks.

• Imagine a thousand guitarists around the world all plugging into the identical tube amp, same amp settings, same speakers, same mics, but, different pickups, different guitars, different cables, different studio monitors, or headphones, different soundcards/DAWs.
    Can you imagine all the different things they'd all 'hear' either using the amp live or in a recording?
    I remember my Riviera Fandango had a "crackle", you strummed a chord, that sounds nice, but then the little crackle, sounded like the speaker was torn.
    No amp tech could fix it, no tube or speaker change fixed it.

Surely not every Profile is 'perfect' and will not produce identical results for all of us using different gear?
    In other words, let's say a Profile picks up something during the Profiling process from the mic, possibly the amps speakers, the wiring/cabling, etc, etc.
    This "something", let's call it an artifact, doesn't show itself to every KPA user, only to certain users using specific gear, just like the identical tube amp would when being used by different users.

Or, am I way off base here? :)

After all, the KPA is not a modeller.
    If it were, then each amp sim would be thoroughly examined by the engineers, and any possible digital or 'tube' 'artifacts' would be removed.
    Remember the "ghost notes" on the HD500?
    The engineers said that's what the real amp does, that's why they left it in the modelling.
    Eventually they removed it because users called it a digital "artifact" and wanted it gone.

However, we can't ask the Kemper engineers to change every possible natural artifact on every Profile...it's not possible.
    They can't possibly anticipate every Profiling and playing situation encountered by every KPA user around the world and then adjust the Profiling algorithm accordingly.

In other words, if you got a crackle on a certain Profile, and others don't experience the same crackle, it's not a bug...it's best you move onto a different Profile that doesn't crackle.

• Guitartone,

I totally appreciate where you're coming from - but I respectfully disagree ;). The fizzy sounding tail ends of chords are too 'artificial' to my ears - and definitely not clipping. There's something going on - it's not my audio interface settings either - since Im not clipping there either (someone before had posted this is what it sounds like to them). Its almost as if the chord fades out - and then the fizz/crackles replace a portion of the sound .. and then fades away.

Don - sorry - I thought PMs were enabled by default. I have enabled them now - you can send me PMs now.

Thanks a lot!

• Have you tried to put an eq after the amp-sektion and put the highs to 30khz, lower the db of the band to -18dB. Than try to slowly lower the frequency untill the fizz is gone (down to under 20kHz etc.). I don´t know if it can solve your problem. Maybe it´s worth a try?!

• Thanks for the tip Janus. I do post-EQ/processing on my DAW when I mix my tracks currently - and while I'm able to reduce this 'fizz/crackling' creatively (to an extent) Im still looking at it as a 'signature' as it happens on many different profiles played on the Kemper (for example Tills clean and Kemper clean profiles - two completely independent sources - but still contain the same common denominator).

That being said - the crackling sound is not loud enough or tone-affecting for me right now (I can still hear it - and it continues to be a minor irritation sometimes when Im playing clean profiles). I just hope, that with newer firmware releases - the KPA tone stays as good as it is right now - that's all.

On a positive note - 1.7.0 rocks - yeah - there's minor niggles with the tuner - but love the snappy response of the profile switching with it. On the whole - pretty happy with the KPA - and it continues to be my workhorse 'amp' ;).

• This same irritating sound was p*ssing me off when I first got my Kemper only a few weeks ago. My original kemper firmware on 25/04/2013 was 1.6.1.8285.

It did my fuckin head-in. Upgrading to 1.7 seemed to fix the issue.

• A thought on this - have you tried a different guitar - is the noise still there? If you are using a strat type guitar then this may be the cause.I was getting a fizz type of noise which was driving me nuts for a while on clean profiles especially. After a lot of experimenting I found it was the guitar not the KPA. What was happening was that even though I had screened the guitar as well as I could the scratch plate (which I had covered in copper foil and left an overlap to connect to the cavity ) was lifting up ever so slightly from the guitar body. Whenever my hand was resting near the bridge and making intermittent contact with the scratch plate it was causing a static type of noise - even the slightest tap in this area would cause it.You would swear the noise was in the profile itself.
    I know I'm going off base here and I know there are other resources out there on this- on a single coil guitar the source of the noise itself is not the guitar or its pickups it's YOU as your body acts like a large antenna. The screening is actually designed to isolate the guitar from your body.If you have noise and it disappears when you touch the stings it's the guitar grounding YOU not the other way around. You can test this by putting the guitar down and stepping away from it - usually the noise will not be there anymore.
    It may be worth investigating this side of things.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't

• This same irritating sound was p*ssing me off when I first got my Kemper only a few weeks ago. My original kemper firmware on 25/04/2013 was 1.6.1.8285.

It did my fuckin head-in. Upgrading to 1.7 seemed to fix the issue.

I doubt that this is an issue that has to do with the firmware. After having profiled my amp for the first time, I understand that the quality of the profile is crucial - the mic position (I find that off axis and about two to 4 inches away from the cab results in profiles to my liking) and other factors have a huge influence on the final result. I profiled some profiles that had a "fizz" when the tones rang out - others didn't have these sounds. I guess that some of the profiles just have that "fizz" in them and in some situations this might be desirable. My suggestion is that people who have problem with one profile should look for a profile that suits their preference or do their own profiles until they are satisfied with the sound they are getting from the Kemper.

• This was an issue with the software not the actual profiles that was fixed I believe in 1.7.

Also a system reset fixes the problem as well.

• Backup first. This below worked for me, good luck, let me know if this helps!

To reset the (corrupt) System settings do like this:
    (Note: All your system settings will be erased - but not your rigs!!)
    Switch the main knob to off
    wait a few seconds
    hold the 'System' key
    while still holding the 'System' key - switch KPA to tuner

Ill try this how did you do this system reset so I can try and get rid of this issue

• This didn't work for me :(