Reverb Bandwidth and Damping affects tone (duh)

• This may seem obvious to many of you, but it's something I stumbled upon as I was tweaking my rigs last night. If you're using a lot of Reverb in your rigs, be sure to experiment with the Bandwidth and Damping parameters. You might think they only affect the tone of your reverb tail, but as that gets mixed together with your dry signal they can have a dramatic effect on your core tone.

• This may seem obvious to many of you, but it's something I stumbled upon as I was tweaking my rigs last night. If you're using a lot of Reverb in your rigs, be sure to experiment with the Bandwidth and Damping parameters. You might think they only affect the tone of your reverb tail, but as that gets mixed together with your dry signal they can have a dramatic effect on your core tone.

Especially at higher mix settings...

• I really haven't played with those at all. Anyone have some tips regarding their usage for various tones?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Christoph, you're probably right from a measurable effect point of view, but I'm talking about perceived tone.

Great tip Ben :thumbup:
    Yes, it's true that any Reverb/Delay setting don't affect the tone of the dry signal like CK is saying, but the mix of the two or three ones affect completely the overall tone (especially at high mix setting like already said above).

When you are building a tone with Delay/Reverb strongly mixed I suggest to first put the mix paramenter to "ONLY EFFECT" and listen carefully to the result of the effect frequency spectrum with Bandwidth and Damping parameters, then mix with the dry until you find the right amount of effect (tipically this should be done playing with a backing track where the guitar will be inserted...).

• I can confirm this from mixing: especially short reverbs can make a dull recording more transparent and shiny. The predelay is very important in this...

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Agreed, in my experience if I don't tone down the high end on reverbs and delays the resulting tone seems to have more high end than the original, anyone has any idea why this happens? This isn't exclusive to the KPA, other modelers/MFX do it too.

• other modelers/MFX do it too.

Every real room does it. If you play acoustic guitar in a bright room - it sound bright. In a dull room it sounds darker.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• If you look at the recorded waveform before and after heavy reverb, it's obvious why it's louder. There is more signal there after reverb. The RMS power is increased. Of course, your ear already knows this by the increased volume. A bright reverb adds more high frequency content.

bd