Musikmesse - New Products

• Yes ,it can get worse than that .
    They could introduce only ONE accordion !

;(

8o

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• Something that really bothers me a lot since a couple of years:
    The ongoing trend to only develop fancy "controllers" instead of full fledged hardware devices. It was so nice to sit in the garden or in a train or somewhere at the airport waiting for your connecting flight, without computer/laptop and just program a few rythm and bass patterns with one of these battery powered MPCs and a set of headphones.
    What do you guys think about this "controller" hype from Akai to Native Instruments to Korg ...

• What do you guys think about this "controller" hype from Akai to Native Instruments to Korg ...

I think building dedicated controllers for computer software is a logical thing.
    'Push' for Ableton Live comes to mind but also Akai or NI or Korg as you mentioned.
    The days of 'only generic' controllers are over, at least when you want to take software plus realtime performance to the next level.

• I think building dedicated controllers for computer software is a logical thing.
    'Push' for Ableton Live comes to mind but also Akai or NI or Korg as you mentioned.
    The days of 'only generic' controllers are over, at least when you want to take software plus realtime performance to the next level.

Could you expand on that?
    What does a dedicated foot controller do that a generic one does not?
    I feel handicapped, i can't think of anything beyond a couple of expression pedals and on/off switches.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I think building dedicated controllers for computer software is a logical thing.

Well, don't get me wrong. It's great to have nice controllers on the market and there are certainly some I would love to own and use .... but sometimes it's just boring to sit in front of a computer screen, imho. Look at these old drum machines like the Boss DR-880 (2004), Zoom RT-223 (2005), Akai MPC 500 (2006), Alesis SR18 (2008 ). They are getting old, technology has much improved in all these years. They are still being sold and I'm sure there still is a market for these devices. Newly designed devices could easily serve as all-in-one mobile drum & bass machines AND controllers. Maybe I just missed the point where these kind of devices died in favour of smartphone apps?

Quitty:
    We're talking about drum machines / rythm sequencers with built-in sound generation vs. all these weird and dumb USB controllers which can't make any sound without a computer. :)

• @ Quitty:
    I don't speak of typical FX devices as we know it. They don't need special controllers of course.
    But think of a powerful software application like Ableton Live complementing the live performance of a rock band.
    You will need a more powerful dedicated controller to make use of it.

The more capable and 'special' FX become the more controllability we will want and need.
    Think of EH's Hog2 for example.
    How cool would it be to have a dedicated controller for it to controlle the ocaves and filters in real time to morph the sound instead of only changing presets?
    You get the picture?

• Could you expand on that?
    What does a dedicated foot controller do that a generic one does not?
    I feel handicapped, i can't think of anything beyond a couple of expression pedals and on/off switches.

Well, for example bi-directional communication. And dedicated controllers (or the possibility to assign them) for some proprietary KPA functions. And the tuner, and other requests that might be implemented in the pedalboard's FW in the time (a thing that no third-part controller is going to have). A dedicated controller would\could basically grow with the KPA :)

• The market for dedicated drum machines is extremely limited these days due to essentially free versions available on line and the popularity of tablets. The reason any of the classic drum machines hold their value is due to their reputation for being fairly legendary devices. The ones less embraced are available for pennies on the dollar. Most the new market of controllers out there offer capabilities which far, far exceed what was possible on early drum machines. Here's an example of how these devices are being used. You simply can't do this kind of stuff on a Boss Dr Rhythm.

[Youtube]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/Youtube]

• I SO MUCH hope for an In-Ear Monitoring Device from Line6 using 2,4 Ghz technology.

I'm using the Relay G30 and played it for almost 100 gigs now. since it came out and I got shot down every time I asked'em at their booth for an IEM possibility... :( :(
    I think thats what they're gonna tell me this year as well.

• I SO MUCH hope for an In-Ear Monitoring Device from Line6 using 2,4 Ghz technology.

I'm using the Relay G30 and played it for almost 100 gigs now. since it came out and I got shot down every time I asked'em at their booth for an IEM possibility... :( :(
    I think thats what they're gonna tell me this year as well.

I have been requesting this since the launch of the relay line as well.