Is there any delay when changing patches on the KPA? How about levels?

• Just wondering if switching rigs on the fly, say during a song, if it is a seemless transition between rigs and sounds? I'd not like any latency in switching between sounds.

Also, setting levels, are levels on the patches consistent or do you need to adjust each one out of the box to be the same?

Thanks

RC

• Regarding this matter there are different reports. A few users have reported about a lag long enough to bother them.
    These complaints have significantly become less frequent with previous firmware releases.

I personally have had only excellent results. My switching has been without lags or hiccups from the beginning.

• same here with my All Access from Rocktron.

consider though that there is a natural propagation delay, as it is called. this means that there is the physical passage of the signal between a board contacts or similar.

this means that a little something is always there. the matter regards if this thing bothers or dont bother the user.

I don0't refer here to the cases in which the lag is too long because this is due to wrong communication between devices. I'm talking about the physical lag, at its minimum duration possible............

dont' know if I could explain.

so: expect something, hopefully a minimal lag..........but it is always a lag............

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• As far as levels go, the presets are designed to be consistent as much as practical. There is also a "clean sense" parameter in the Input that was designed to enable you to balance the volume of clean sounds vs. gain sounds.

Downloaded profiles will vary more in output.

If you are used to using a product that tends to make all your guitars sound the same, you'll notice the Kemper doesn't do that. Each guitar will have its own personality. If you feel the need, you can store separate Input settings for each guitar.

• this confirm what I said: there is a lag, minum of course as you're mentioning ............the thing is if this bother the people. for me, as for you, it is done just fine......for other people it might be too much

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

• The lag is long enough to bother me, I have to change patches a bit earlier than I'd like to if I want to nail a note attack on tempo. I wish the switching time was shorter, it's actually longer than in the Line6 HD500 and in the Avid Eleven Rack. Those don't have spillover, but the AxeFX does and also has shorter (unnoticeable) switching times AFAIK.

• indeed the spill over is a great feature! I owned a TCE Gforce which is a great machine, one of the best (I have seen Steve Vai has three of them in his live rack). it couldn't do the spillover but with a huge programming work. this is something the KPA is great for!

overall, based on my experience the only absence of lag is when there is a switching with a footswitch of a head. I had the Triaxis and there was a lag there too, maybe longer than the KPA as long as I can remember. consider that the Triaxis was in petrucci's racks for the Images and Words tour and for the Awake one...........

• indeed the spill over is a great feature! I owned a TCE Gforce which is a great machine, one of the best (I have seen Steve Vai has three of them in his live rack). it couldn't do the spillover but with a huge programming work. this is something the KPA is great for!

overall, based on my experience the only absence of lag is when there is a switching with a footswitch of a head. I had the Triaxis and there was a lag there too, maybe longer than the KPA as long as I can remember. consider that the Triaxis was in petrucci's racks for the Images and Words tour and for the Awake one...........

I respectfully disagree, I own a Triaxis and its patch switching feels instantaneous, undoubtably faster than the KPA - it should, after all its signal path is 100% analog (most of it tube stages), only the controls and switching are digital. BTW that's using a G-Major2 in series with it, perhaps the lag you felt was because of the GForce or other processors in the signal chain? I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Triaxis.

• The Profiler also features automatic spillover on the delay and reverb slots.

That means that your delay and reverb will always decay naturally when you change rigs, which makes program changes even smoother.

That is a nice feature! I like the idea of that.
    I think the lag thing may bug me though. I have some songs where I have to go from clean to gritty and back a few times and wonder if it will be an issue. What if you use a clean sound and turn on and off one of the drive pedals in the Kemper's chain?

I'd like to see or hear how much of a lag there is, wonder if anyone could post a sound clip or vid here?

Thanks!

RC

• I respectfully disagree, I own a Triaxis and its patch switching feels instantaneous, undoubtably faster than the KPA

Hey Deny,
    might this mean that there's something weird going hardware-wise for you and the other users who have experienced lag issues? IOW, Michael's KPA might actually be faster than his Triaxis...
    This could in fact be good news... :)

• Damn quotes don't work on Chrome :/

Anyway I don't think my KPA is any different from others, IMO it's just that I'm picky about latencies in general. It's true that changing modes in the Triaxis might take a while (still shorter than the KPA in my perception), but changing between patches using the same mode are virtually instantaneous whereas the KPA has some lag even if you switch between rigs that use the same profile.

• I felt the lag in my triaxis (by the way, version 2.0) with or without the GForce hooked.

to be precise: the lag was a very short one, nothing to be disappointed about. but I found it no different than the KPA if not the KPA is a bit faster.

we are always talking about a pro user lag here! for both the mentioned machines.

at least this is my experience.

let me see if next monday I do a video about the switching in my system..........

• Anyway I don't think my KPA is any different from others, IMO it's just that I'm picky about latencies in general.

Mhhh... I feel you. :)

...Nevertheless, I'd love to do some measurements. Not because I don't trust you, but because I (w\o any specific, scientific reason) am starting thinking that some issues exhibited by some units are related to something not well-settled, which could be fixed with some software manoeuvres :huh:

Thanks Will,
    That's a big board. Can you program both expression pedals to work things like volume and wah easily?

I wonder if any latency issues are happening on different foot controllers. Interesting.

I can't speak to what others have experienced, but the FCB works as expected for me and is programmable.

"Easily" is relative to the individual. Using an editor and referencing the Kemper manual, I found it easy. There is a third party working on a chip for the FCB which will be pre programmed as well, should be coming out in the very near future.