Turning knobs: Does it detract from the Profiler's "core" strength?

• Well, sound quality is subjective but if you'd indulge me, i could run a few comparison tests and post the results.
    Some amps, in my experience, change character when the gain is turned up or down, perhaps even beyond spectral balance differences. This is superlative-heavy, so pardon -
    a Peavey 5150, for example, is very 'chuggy' on high gain setting, but turning the gain down makes it incredibly stiff. This is one point, for example, where the KPA excels - i can take a high-gain 5150 sound (the recently uploaded Bulb and Nolly XFXII sounds are a good example) and drop the gain somewhat while still retaining the high-end compression that causes the 'chugginess'.
    Doing so on a real, live counterpart yields terrible results, IMO.

On the other hand, I have a Laney GH-100 profile whose source i would have to trace that sounds great with the gain up where it originally was - but really loses its 'balls' when you turn it down below 6.5, which is still a bit too high for me. The actual amp becomes more focused when you drop the gain - its a sound i'm dying to get but can't so far.

If the difference truly is all about the way compression is applied to a certain spectral balance, then it would be very easy to 'combine' two profiles at different gain levels into one -
    and it would solve one of the major complaints about the KPA's inability to replace an amp because it only contains one "authentic" setting.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I really think if you go deeper and edit the Amp parameters available in the Kemper you can create

or recreate the sound and feel of the original Amp with a limited few profile's of a Amp.

Of course if you Own the Amp you can just profile new setting. :D

• Different gain settings do not influence the amp dynamics, only the freqencies.
    The spectral balance can be deeply adjusted by the Definition parameter.
    Try it out.

About authenticity:
    There is no setting of gain and definition, that goes beyond the physics of a tube amp.

• I'd love to see controls that react more like the real amp, at least as an option. Yes it might seem "hokey" to an engineer, but the creative process of finding and adjusting a tone is a lot about mistakes and personality rather than predictions and perfection. We love the pedals and amps that we do because of their little idiosyncrasies that over time we learn to exploit.

• I'd love to see controls that react more like the real amp, at least as an option. Yes it might seem "hokey" to an engineer, but the creative process of finding and adjusting a tone is a lot about mistakes and personality rather than predictions and perfection. We love the pedals and amps that we do because of their little idiosyncrasies that over time we learn to exploit.

By Having the gain and dynamics separated you have more ways to exploit a amps sound and have more control over it.

It's not to complicated to learn how make these adjustments on the kemper.

• By Having the gain and dynamics separated you have more ways to exploit a amps sound and have more control over it.

It's not to complicated to learn how make these adjustments on the kemper.

I think you completely missed my point.

Let me put it another way - you could set it up by dialing in and carefully balancing multiple parameters... or you could make it easier and have the option to do it all automatically with one. Which do you think a guitarist is gonna use?

• [/quote]
    I think you completely missed my point.

Let me put it another way - you could set it up by dialing in and carefully balancing multiple parameters... or you could make it easier and have the option to do it all automatically with one. Which do you think a guitarist is gonna use?[/quote]

I do get your point

Its just that I think for them to tie arrange of parameters on the Gain would be a simulation at best and there are so many Amps types.

Learning to use a couple additional Amp parameters like definition, clarity and compression with the gain can really expand the use of a profile of a amp you don't have available to make more profiles of.

• Per:
    We have these quick access knobs. If they were freely assignable and if we could even assign multiple parameters to them, (each parameter with it's own custom curve) you could somehow build your own charakteristic of a gain knob.

Just dreaming ... ;)

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Well personally I think we should have profile blending. That way you could make separate profiles at two settings, set them as your A and B profiles for the blend, and then adjust gain via the blend parameter instead of the gain dial (or perhaps it would be cool if you could set gain to behave as "blend"), if you could store that as a "blend" rig so that you can always bring it back, or export/import it as a single rig then it would be pretty cool and easy for everyone to take advantage of. Even if they don't set it up themselves, they can use blend rigs other people have made.

I don't think anyone would see that as hokey. Rather, it is something that a lot of people want from the Profiler, i.e. a device that completely replaces every amp that goes into it, complete with realistic knob tweaking.

But I'd imagine the feature you're looking for would involve taking multiple "snapshots" of the amp at various gain, EQ, other settings to determine how the controls fit within an amp's overall "character". At this stage in the KPA's development, if that's what you are looking for, you'd probably be better off with the actual amplifier of your choice.

But if you are "stuck" with a Kemper, a viable workaround would be to profile the amp thoroughly, creating a multitude of patches that reflect various control settings. That way you could mimic the amp at whatever setting you wanted to.

There are clearly engineering complexities involved in the profiling process. I believe Mr CK must have come up with this technology years ago, but has spent time refining it to arrive at a workable format. Perhaps the solution you are looking for would involve, as I postulated, multiple snapshots of the amp at various settings to arrive at a blueprint of the control dynamics, which would then be combined to arrive at a working replica of the amplifier in question.

Exciting stuff, really. I would never have imagined this level of technology being feasible a few years ago. Heck, if Mr CK showed it off 30 years ago and sought funding, I'm sure all the musical bigwigs would have shot it down saying "tubes are the way of the future".

• We truly are artist as guitar players, always searching for a new pallet of colors to blend to paint the next master piece of tone .

So hope that no one here thinks that were just not ever satisfied, we just want every way possible to build a tone :D

• Now that it is all rocketing up into science fiction. Why not have multiple profiles layered in different dynamic zones similar to multiband compressors in mastering studios. This would also shoot the complexity of it all into the range of mastering equipment. But, hmm, aren't we guitar players and dont't we like it, when it goes to eleven?

[Blocked Image: http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/Kelly/20111110_nigel_tufnel_49.jpg]

But to be honest: I like the dynamic range of my amp and I also like the dynamic range of my amp's profile inside the KEMPER. :D

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• I would love to see a tone stack library with stacks which mimic various amps and their specific controls. As far as the gain control, I love it the way it is and wouldn't change anything.

• I like the idea above about blending (or interpolating) between two proiles at different gains. But in the meanwhile i'd settle for a "gain range score" that would suggest if the gain knob on a profile is most "realistic" over, say, 25%, 50% or 100% of its full rotation.
    But anyway, i'm happy (delighted) to use the secondary parameters to "improve" on an existing amp's characteristics.

Edited once, last by Djuhntt ().

• I'd like to ask everybody that had suggestions on blended or hybrid profiles to provide some reasoning for their demand.

Does the problem lie in the fact that there is no "turn one knob" solution to arrive at the sound in your head? Are the in-depth parameters not sufficient?

I'd be more than happy to spend hours tweaking one profile then another and another and eventually hope to arrive at the sound in my head. But I have seen in the case of other modellers, often people want a plug and play solution, just like an amp.

I've noticed in the WiKPA there are some amplifiers that cannot be profiled due to their odd circuitry. Are these the sounds that people are missing out on? Or is elusive "the sound in your head" difficult for you to zone in on?

• I was only reacting to Per's post. And I still think that freely assignable quick access buttons would be cool for many things one of them being what Per wants to do.

But I personally am totally happy with a neutral Gain knob. AISB: I like the dynamic range of my amp and I also like the dynamic range of my amp's profile inside the KEMPER. I don't even use the Gain knob, as I control the gain with the (active) volume knob on the guitar or with an expression pedal set to volume positioned post stomps. This is also a fine, neutral gain control.

www.audiosemantics.de