Posts by DonPetersen

Like I said, when I selected the Kemper which takes the signal from the guitar through the KPA and into the reference amp, out the speaker, in the mic and into the KPA it doesn't do it. But as soon as I select the reference amp option on the profiler, it sounds like a tv set to the snow channel.

'Kemper Amp' plays the profile when A/B-ing, or before profiling the last selected profile.
    'Reference' plays the Profiler -> Amp -> Cab -> Mic signal chain. ;)

any chance to patch 'Send' to the XLR Return with just a cable?
    anyway, I think it's a good idea to contact support.

Don can you say more about parallel compression? What is different in the effect of compression this way?

a compressor usually compresses the whole signal.
    since our compressor has a mix control, you can mix the compressed signal with the uncompressed signal.

the classic parallel compression sound would be a heavily 'crushed' signal (shortest possible attack & check out the squash parameter)
    plus the dry signal.

about your browser issue:
    please try to delete the cache and restart the browser.

about the 'user defined filters':
    the Rig Manager pretty much covers this, since you can add up to two subfolders to your local rigs,
    for exsample:
    artist / album (or project)

or

artist album / song

this should be much easier to handle than additional (user) view filters

in my experience even a very good amp cannot rescue a bad player, quite the contrary actually.
    ever heard a hack play over something like a Matchless?
    truely horrifying :D

but if "bad player + good amp" works for you, then all you have to know is that the Profiler behaves just like an amp.

it also features a few very simple to operate parameters that can not be found on traditional amps, like adjustable power amp sag, compression within the amp (very cool), a pick control and a very good compressor, that can also do parallel compression.
    Some of those might actually help to even out a performance a bit, but to tell you the truth, one of the best things a bout the Profiler is how dynamically it reacts to pickups, technique, picking etc.

again, in my experience, if the performance suffered, there's generally no technological fix for that.

as with most guitar related lingo, there really is no definition.
    pushed means to me for example to use a booster or OD with very little drive and high level in front of the amp, thereby pushing it into overdrive.

I would like the option to have the Stomp A/B (aka DI) part of the parallel signal path to flow through the effects section (X/Mod/Delay/Reverb). In other words, I can choose whether to mix it back into the signal right after the stack section or all the way at the end of the chain. I definitely want the darker "dry" path to have delay/reverb. Otherwise, the delay/reverb will sound a bit thin.

you could use the Direct Mix parameter in the Amp section to mix in DI signal that also goes through the post effects.

you can get a free demo of one of their IR collections from their website.

personally, before I came to Kemper, I used Redwirez IRs with an Ultra pretty much on every patch.
    I had a list of IR mixes I kept working on and trying suggestions of other Redwirez users.

I converted these mixes into .kiprs with the Cabmaker, loaded them into the Profiler and, yes, they sound just like I remember.
    (and older recordings confirmed this).

Did I keep them?
    No.
    i much prefer the 'real world' cab and mic combinations of profiles to the somewhat academic approach to mic every cab with every mic in every position. (even the demo cab has 777 IRs)

good to hear! :)

looking forward to try the profiles you made!

Problem solved. I searched the internet and found that I could do a "Reset" of the MOTU 828mkii by disconnecting the firewire cable, pressing Setup, then Select, then Value. It reset it to the factory defaults. Now, no more pops and no more shutting down SPDIF every minute or so. Somehow it got corrupted. It may or may not have anything to do with the software I installed. Noting here for my future searches or if anyone else has an older MOTUI product.

glad you found a solution.

thread moved ;)