Posts by nakedzen

that is a great sounding pickup!

have you checked out AlNiCo8?

I'll get to those eventually! These are just the first two pickups I've done ever. But I do have a sort of method/ideology of how to make these.

I have a hunch that lower output pickups with high gain settings will sound better than high output ones with lower gain. Simply because the more winds you have on the coil, you start to get more compression and lose some high end.

Got some 42 AWG wire from Stewmac and their humbucker kit. Did one Alnico5 pickup out of curiosity to see how hard it is. It was a PITA to be honest. :D

But got hooked anyway, since it only takes half an hour to make a humbucker, and sourced parts for more locally.

Here's the ceramic humbucker I built in high gain context against the EMG 81. Disclaimer: gain has been adjusted between the guitars, since the handwound passive is relatively low output.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

These guitars need to move. Built these myself from scratch during 2021-2022.

Tele#1: 1100 euro ONO

25.5" scale, stainless medium jumbo frets, ebony fretboard, 14" radius, Schaller locking tuners, graphtech nut, Schaller TOM bridge, 8mm thick quilted maple cap, ash body, maple neck, EMG 85/60 set. Comes with hardshell case.

Tele#2: sold

25.5" scale, nickel medium frets, ebony fretboard, 12" radius, Schaller DaVinci tuners, graphtech nut, Gotoh ashtray bridge, Seyour Duncan Hot Tele/Vintage Tele set, maple neck. White matte/satin finish with some very slightly distressed corners.

Tele#3: sold

25.5" scale, nickel medium jumbo frets, zebrano fretboard, 14" radius, Schaller locking tuners, graphtech nut, Gotoh 510UB wraparound bridge, Seymour Duncan Custom/59 set, Schaller locking tuners, graphtech nut, maple/spanish cedar three-piece neck. Binding and top are in pretty poor condition, back is "heavy relic" style.

Tone testing my latest guitar build.

Real drummer/drums. My own Mesa rev G rackmount Rectifier profile, red channel with diodes and Maxon OD9.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Sounds great and that guitar OMG, that finish is beautiful.

Thanks! It's not mirror perfect, but I like it enough. I think I'll be using Britetone for topcoat in future builds as well. I'll just need to find a smoother way to apply it, maybe wet&dry sandpaper works the best. Even that kept leaving air bubbles in the finish that had to be sanded out, so mayble I'll just level sand after each 1-2 coats in the future. This time I level sanded after all the coats (12 of them! ^^ )

External Content soundcloud.com

Redid one of my earlier builds. Made a completely new neck from maple and spanish cedar, zebrano fretboard. Changed the color of the top from blue to red/orange.

25.5" scale, maple and spanish cedar neck, zebrano fretboard, medium jumbo frets.
    Seymour Duncan Jazz/Custom set with coil split.
    Ash body, flame maple top.
    Schaller tuners, Gotoh 510UB wraparound bridge.

Pics:

Thanks! Never ice no, sometimes when I started playing ages ago I used to get wrist pains. But I think that was due to bad technique.

The wrist needs to be loose and relaxed all the time, never tense up.

Finally got around learning this song, it only took 16 years. ^^ Took the guitar build #4 for a test drive.

External Content www.youtube.com

That's a fabulous build, man! Nice work!

Thanks man! Not perfect, but getting better. This was my second build with binding and taught me better ways working those. Heatgun for spaghettifying, acetone for adhesion and card scrapers for cleanup worked so much better than using CA glue and a razor.