Posts by nightlight

Changed to a patch i use for rhythm it was the mesa boogie triple rect from TAF and dam the input light was nearly red all the time ?(?( I thought the CS wasnt ment to affect distortion sounds ?(

i then backed my CS off to around -10.5 and the Input LED started glowing less RED. Well now im totally confused ?(?( Maybe im reading more in to this than is needed, i dont know ;(

I had a similar experience Raoul23, and it drove me nuts initially. I understand this is not how clean sense is designed to work, the way Mr CK has explained it, it seems more like a tool to balance clean and distorted tones.

But I definitely see that red LED blink less when I turn down clean sense while using a distorted profile. And, subjective as it might be, I think my tone was better when that red LED wasn't blinking.

Could be psychosomatic, but you know how good tone is all in the head, from a certain point of view ^^

... there are several people here that did some gigs with just one profile. ...

I am most definitely a one rig kind of guy. ^^ Now I want two rigs though, since I'd like something different for my leads, I find it's very difficult to use the same tone without stuff getting lost in the din of my mixes. Some good advice there, waraba, thanks.

Envious that you dove into the Kemper within one week. I keep scrolling through patches and playing. I must conquer this!

Wow, all very complicated stuff.

I have an easy method.
    Go to any Till's Profile, turn on some Delay already in the Profile/Rig...done, awesome lead tone.

Play a backing track through your studio monitors and play some lead with it, now adjust your delay settings until the lead sits nicely in the mix.
    Try some of the Delay presets (press Delay button then use Browse knob)...when you find a preset that works well take note of the settings and how the delay was created...if you tweak it then save your new settings as a new Preset.

That's my kind of method! Thanks, guitartone! :thumbup:

Thanks, everybody. Some good stuff in there. I think I've been overkilling it with the delays and 'verb. Keep the suggestions coming.

... severly boost the mids, cut the bass a little and add some gain and delay. But mids are the most important thing by far. The problem is that not all profiles work equally good when you boost the mids.....

Hmm, haven't really worked with the amp controls too much. Been tweaking the amplifier controls mainly. I'm a little leery of making digital sounding tones, which is why I'm looking for "out of the box" solutions. As in out of the Kemper, directly to me with as little interference too much. :thumbup:

Lasse made the majority of profiles in his Rig Pack specifically for metal rhythm guitar (except the Liquid Leads one, obviously), as he stated in the pdf.... My first idea would be to turn down the definition parameter on Lasse's profiles and maybe add some mids with the tonestack. Searching for 'lead' in the Rig Exchange returns plenty of profiles...

That's the feeling I got from Lasse's tones. They're superb for rhythm, I was unable to tweak them in a way that the tone remained natural and not artificial, if that makes sense. Mid and definition parameters sounds like a good place to start. I can't believe I haven't explored the rig exchange thoroughly yet. But with over 3000 profiles, I just find it so daunting. I have found a couple of cool tones though :)

What I do is just switch to the neck pickup and turn my tone knob down.

That's a cool idea. I'm really fond of using my neck pickup when I'm playing clean tones, but with higher gain, I always find it sounds a bit honky. I'm stuck with the bridge pickup by default, partially because I can't keep switching in-between with the kind of stuff I'm playing.

Give also a try to the lead booster and pure booster , I often use them for leads, they are a great addition to get a cool rhythm rig sound right for the leads aswell. Also allow some time to craft a good sound with amp ( clarity & definition) and cab parameters (character & F shifting). If you're still not satisfied, change the cab ( I keep some of them only for leads)

Jeez, I really need to start messing with the Kemper. I dunno, I guess I'm one of the guys everyone talks about. You know, takes Kemper out of box, plugs in, doesn't stop to tweak, still thinks it kicks ass. :whistling:

.. and try also Poulin Legion Solo rig - maybe change in A slot to gate 2:1.. tweak it to your taste..

Check. I need to start looking through the rig exchange. I mean, what is this inertia I feel when I'm in front of the Kemper. I just don't want to do anything but play guitar, I have no time for anything in-between. Like I'm paralysed with fear or something.

"Don't turn the Kemper knobs, or they'll fall off, your LEDs will die, it will explode in your face." Gah.

Then again, perhaps if I don't touch it, it will remain minty fresh for my whole life. :love:

I'm a little overwhelmed when it comes to settings like reverb and delay on profiles.

For example, a lot of the new Lasse Lammert profiles sound great for rhythm, but they're not as good for lead. I thought adding some reverb and delay would give them more of a fluid feeling, but just wound up with something that sounded like it was made in a cavern :?

How about some helpful tips and tricks? Perhaps an example featuring one of Lasse's profiles and how you would tweak it to behave better for soloing.

Cheers :thumbup:

Cool story.

I think the hum is noticeable because you're connected to multiple devices on a single power outlet.

It's also possible the connection is not earthed properly, which can also cause humming problems. This is likely to be the reason you got a shock when touching the metal chassis of the power supply.

Not too sure why the Crate died when you switched on ground lift. Maybe someone else has an idea. But it's never a good idea to have too much load on a single output, always divide it up when possible.

Be careful that you don't blow up your Kemper, dude!

I heard the noise too last night.

It's similar to the popping sound if you use a loop switching system with analog pedals, especially high gain ones. Or even high gain pedals within the loop of a device like the Boss GT-8. Did a lot of testing this and narrowed it down to some kind of impedance matching problem. Alternatively, it could just be the sound suddenly cutting in and out.

Not too sure how it occurs in a self-contained digital device like the Kemper though. :?

Upgraded to 2.2. Seems awesome, but last night, I experienced a funny moment. While fast browsing with auto load, my Kemper's sound suddenly cut and then a few seconds later, the screen went dim and so did the lights for just a second. 8|

After that, smooth sailing. Wondering what the heck happened? ?(

I'll attribute it to maybe a loosely plugged cable, but wondering if anyone had that experience? I remember some people talking about the Kemper suddenly shutting down when fast browsing earlier. Could it be that?

The threshold on the input LED has been changed by CK. I to had this problem with my Navarro PRSand CK informed me what he had done. The KPA has lots of head room so unless you red light isn't on contently you be fine. Must admit this drove me insane at first but now I just ignore it.

Is that how it works? I assumed that a red light means your input or output has clipped. Don't think it has to be constant. Ideally, it shouldn't happen at all, or at least, that's what I thought.

I think Mr CK should change the LED colours, I was really confused initially by the yellow/orange and red LEDs. Perhaps it would be easier to identify if the LED for clipping was purple or blue! 8o

Don't want to get off the point but ..... Mangini was always gonna get the job even though he wasn't the best drummer .....IMHO..............

I thought so too, though I'm sure he's qualified. My reasoning? They focused on Mangini exclusively in the first episode of their drummer search. Plus, he was on screen for a lot longer than any of the other drummers, who had really short appearances in the remaining two audition episodes! :thumbup:

Felt sorry for Derek Roddy! He didn't even have his sound miced and the few seconds of him playing made him look like an idiot that could only blast beat. Unfair! :thumbdown: