Posts by Bevosss

Yes +1 to the OP. Especially the posts saying how shit the software/programmers are, without even using it yet, well way way too far imo.

Huge thanks from me on not just the librarian, but the bass improvements also, it's great to see them bringing bass up to speed. I shared that with my bass playing friends and there's a lot of interest.

Just a suggestion from me. If it was possible to put an equally good power amp into the powerhead/rack that ran 4 ohms ok, well there you have the best bass amp in the world. Period. Maybe it's not possible at the moment, but maybe powerhead/rack MKII?

I'd suggest a stereo amp @ 300W/ 8 ohm aside that could be bridged to 600W/ 4 ohm , that would satisfy both bass users and stereo users (like me!). Just my 2c for capturing the bass market.

Many thanks again, Christophe and team, well done! :thumbup:

thanks friend.probably it was that happen to me.I was playing with a clean profile in low volume,but suddendly in some notes,the sound disappear,and the speakers burn.....i think that power amp boost where a extra volume in cases that master volumen where insufficient.

jjjjjjjjj ;(

In my experience you hear the amp distorting long before the speaker blows. it gets worse until 'poof', no sound and you smell something burning.

At least that's what happened to me back in the day, I was running a stereo tube amp (Mesa 290) and forgot to turn on one side at a gig. Maybe solid state amps react differently, never blown a speaker with one yet.

More info required there, it could be either the lock rig name paradigm, or the unfixed bug in performance mode, or your software isn't up to date..

1. If you change a rig in a performance mode slot, it retains the existing rigs name. A bad design, as you would get better functionality by locking the slot name AFTER you have renamed it (to verse/chorus or similar, that's the motive for locking it, changing rigs doesn't change the intended slot name)...really annoying to have to go into rearrange slots every time you change rigs to get the correct name for the rig.

2. There's a bug identified previously by me and others where loading new rigs into empty slots would create a 'initialized rig' named slot by the 3rd or 4th slot...Timo was looking into that last I heard. I think from memory the correct rig's sound was loaded though, just the name was wrong IIRC.

3. Make sure you are on the latest software update, performance mode is relatively new.

Hope that helps some.

I'd be happy just if the SPDIF out options would mirror the Main Out options..... I too record exclusively with SPDIF out and like to track in mono....

so a git/master mono on the SPDIF out would be the ticket

+1. I know it doesn't make so much sense in a final recording mode to print the post fx mono, but as far as writing and arranging and putting down guide tracks, it's the perfect solution. You can get the part/idea down easily and still have the option later to use it and reamp if the newer takes don't meet the mark. :)

A much better solution than going analog in...

I haven't seen the perfect fast-attack solid state profile yet, but I can recommend these 2 for rounder or edgier sounds:

Valve Preamp - Liquid Avalon737 - free on the rig exchange, by Downfall Studios. Sounds almost identical to my STT-1 in VT mode.

Ampeg SVT Blueline + 8x10 - SVT Crunch Bass - virtually free (less than 3 Euros), available here - http://sonicunderground.bigcar…mpeg-svt-blueline-profile

Head and shoulders above the rest IMO.

The smart move would be try Reaper for free, it's an uncrippled demo, and if you like it, $60 for 2 versions worth so a bargain. It'll nag you after a month when you open it, but that's the only limitation. Been using it since V2, Reaper and LIve are the only 2 major daws that can rewire both as slave and master (although Reaper doesn't have Live's VST limitation when slaved), and they work well together for me.

It's based more on Vegas than on Cubase , so some things are quite different to learn, but it's fully customizable and they have a lot of tutorials now to get you up to speed. The forum is also one of the most helpful I've encountered. :)

Good ideas! +1 to them. all

My main suggestion is hardware, put in a power amp that does 600W@ 4 ohms...it would be the best bass amp on the planet then! The current 8 ohm limitation renders the powerhead/rack useless for bass as is, so we're still doomed to cart around an extra power amp. :(

I just remembered Samplitude has an additional audio engine mode for low-latency monitoring, I found this info with a quick google:

as you already pointed out, hybrid engine is especially for monitoring through the software, when you need low latency.
    in this scenario, you can lower the cpu consumption, by switching channels, that are only playing back audio to economy engine, where they are played with longer buffers.
    for mixing, the economy engine is stable and good (slider to the left in settings).
    one thing that is maybe interesting is, that in hybrid where the audioengine is always running, you hear the tails of reverbs and other effects that prolongue sound, when you hit stop. can give some good information, what is going on there.

BTW I use a Fireface 800 as well and it's perfect for no latency routing, have a look at that for a solution. I can usually get down to 48-64 if I need to in Reaper, although 128 is my default and I just use TotalMix to monitor inputs with zero latency.

You'd be surprised at the number of people that say this about Samplitude. All boils down to algorithms, just like the Kemper vs Axe FX II in some ways. Cubase sounds darker, Samplitude a little more open, imho.

Statements like this have been tested and disproved on many different audio forums. It's likely the default pan law is the culprit, unless you are using different plugins which isn't a fair comparison. In any case, it's a modern day 'flat earth' analogy...laughable. My audio teacher swore Pro Tools sounded worse than DP, likely a different Pan Law was influencing him as well...... :D

t I know many people have done profiles with mic pre's and have said the profiling is perfect.

I did my first profiling session yesterday, profiling my partner's beloved Millennia STT-1 preamp, and I have to say it totally nailed it 100%. I spent some time reading the manual on the subject and getting the volumes 100% between the reference amp and the test profile ( I used the Avalon 757 profile uploaded by Downfall Studios, a very good profile similar to the VT mode of the STT-1). However once the 45 second profiling was complete (and in every new profile I saved I had to raise the volume +12dB to reach unity gain with the test profile, that is something I never saw mentioned in the manual) and I further refined it (not sure if anything changed here but I did it anyway), well after that I swear I would switch between the profile and the reference amp and could NOT tell the difference. Subjecting my partner to the same test got the same reaction. It captured that magic sound in a bottle so to speak, I'm completely blown away at this point.

Probably profiling amps with multiple mics will be the acid test, but from this early test have very high hopes. :)

We tune our 4string basses to dropped D, and surprisingly transposing from there to B isn't too bad...would make a backup for a 5 string in a pinch.

You might have to go up a gauge for the low string from say 100-105, or 105-110. Whatever holds dropped D tuning stable.

Also tried dropped C with heavier gauge and personally I think the tension and tuning is way too sloppy even with higher gauge strings, a 5 string tuned to B is a smarter choice. YMMV.

More than likely a B string won't fit without altering the nut, plus some are tapered at the bridge, and the intonation is a bitch. The huge jump from between strings (fret 10 on B string = open A) makes it pretty weird to play also.

I haven't played with the formants yet, but I'm skeptical a guitar dropped an octave will sound like a decent bass. I will have to test that theory now.....:D

Plus, do yourself a favour and grab this profile, it kills for SVT-style bass: http://sonicunderground.bigcar…mpeg-svt-blueline-profile

Unpowered rack + 2 x CLR wedges! Stereo heaven... :)

Powered Head...well, IF they ever release a 4 ohm version, that would be the Ampeg SVT Blueline killer right there, in a 6Kg package. If that in a head case would fit in your hand luggage, it's a tourer's dream (there's almost always an 8x10 to share or hire). Plus it does awesome guitar!

Otherwise I find the powered version not so useful, prefer a CLR or 2 to that.

Great work Don, I must try it! Thanks for posting this. :)

I have an Analogman Sun Face which I love (especially on tube bass amps), have you ever compared your Fuzz to the Sun Face? And if so how similar/different are they in tone?

Curious if I can replicate it's sound using your template!

I just tested Matrix GT1000 a few days ago with my 8*10 bass cab which is 4 ohms. Because Matrix cannot be used with 4 ohms cab in bridged mono, I was a bit worried is only other half of the Matrix (500w) enough, but I couldn't be happier with the result. It boomed like hell. So no worries, for me at least. Matrix GT1000 is the power amp I'm gonna use, with both bass and guitar. And I play metal, by the way.

Good to hear, it's a pity Matrix couldn't design it to bridge 1000W@ 4 ohms, that would be some amazing headroom. They seem to have designed switchmode amps that behave more in the league of the heavy iron/boat anchors like Crown etc, from all accounts they punch far above their weight.

FWIW my partner gigged in a trio rock band with an Eden 400W/Ampeg 8x10 head no problem, once she started playing metal-esque music with loud drums, samples and growls, the 400W didn't quite cut it...upgrading to the WT-550 gave her ample headroom though (550W@4ohms). So I'd say for loud bands, somewhere between 500-1000W@4ohms is the ballpark you want (or for tubes, 300W-6xKT-88/6550s). The more the better really, not so much for more volume as just to handle the huge transients accurately.

So basically, I'm wondering if the 600w class D amp in the Kemper is powerful enough to adequately drive say, an Ampeg 8x10 running a bass profile in a band rehearsal / live situation.

It's underpowered for bass, but the real problem is the ohmage, as the Kemper power amp only does 8 Ohm minimum, whereas like most single bass cabs the 8x10 is 4 ohms. You could probably get away with it for a quiet rehearsal, Mr Kemper did say "if you are careful", but I wouldn't tempt fate myself. The GT1000 (500W@4ohms) or even better it's bigger brother the GT1600 (800W@4ohms) would be a good match. Actually I was just about to buy the Powerrack when I read the ohmage limitation in the manual, quite the dealbreaker for me.

Btw the Kemper is awesome for SVT-style bass, most of the profiles are bad to average but there's a commercial one by Sonic Underground called Crunch SVT that is true Blueline filth, I'm talking the real deal, his mp3 sample doesn't do it justice. And for less than 3 Euros, I converted my tube amp diehard bass player! Best bargain ever... :D :D

http://sonicunderground.bigcar…mpeg-svt-blueline-profile