Posts by V8guitar

Ok, but let's just keep it simple. We all know that different size cabinets and number of speakers sound different. For each their own. You don't like 4x12s and that is fine. Others think different.

But what I'm saying is, will the Kemper speaker really behave like a V30 (or whatever given speaker) in ANY of those formats? If they have really accomplished that, it would be remarkable. And I believe that's what they claim to have done.

Doh - I think I misunderstood you.

You mean changing your current speakers in your 4 x12 for the new Kemper/celestion ones ? Sorry I though you meant just run the new speaker "profiles" through your current cab.

In that case it will work BUT there is the unpredictability of the cabinet itself. CK said they would offer them for retro fit so interesting if the DSP will account for the config...

Sorry for the confusion, I'll shut up and sit at the back ;)

My friend has just bought a toaster and bought a flight case for it to protect it...

No idea why he bought that and not the rack version BUT it adds very little size to the toaster and gives it full protection, meaning you could then put it anywhere with a bit more confidence..

Let me know if of interest and I can get the details...

Main advantage of external is you can run stereo.

I have powered because I'm not bothered about stereo backline and I really like the convenience of not having additional connections and kit to carry..

Matrix seem to be the go to external amps for most digital kit. Some people say they prefer a regular valve amp but personally I think its unnecessary.

A Marshall cab will sound like a Marshall cab. But two Marshall cabs do not sound the same if one has V30s and the other Greenbacks for example. And there is where I think the difference is. The Kemper Cone will make possible to change the sound of your speakers on the fly. I think that is a tall order and doubt they got it 100%. But the idea is genius.

Of course you will not make your Marshall cab sound like a Mesa cab. But neither the FRFR cabs do that.

Sorry dude but I think this is wrong. They have isolated the speaker part of of the profile so you can change that specifically.

Therefore if you run it through a regular cab, its unlikely to be effective. In other words if you have V30's in your 4x12 and you use the cone, with G12's, it will sound like a mix of the 2...there is no way it can make your V30's sound like G12's, mainly because it won;t know what cab you have.

For FRFR the speaker adds less colour and hence should be more accurate.

Therefore this is more applicable for FRFR than a regular cab. For a regular cab you still want to use DI or merged profiles.....however, I might be wrong as I'm just going on the press releases..

As Kemper are working on the editor, it would be so useful to have a system tag ( so not reliant on the words from the creator) to identify merged profiles.

Merged profiles should become more desirable with the Kabinet as well..

Unless I'm stupid ( quite possibly) then I don't think you can identify which profiles are studio, DI or merged...

I know this has been raised before but suggesting it as a possible inclusion into the editor/RM updates.

erm, that isn't how I interpret it. You need a speaker with a flat response to hear the difference between the "profiled" speakers....

There are 2 changes here:

The cab itself, which will just be a tuned flat response cab.

The speaker "profiling" which you can then change the speaker to suit the amp you've set up.

Therefore running this through a non FRFR type set up with muddy the waters somewhat. I assume that it WILL work through a regular FRFR set up but might not sound as good ( as all FRFR setups are not equal).

I might be wrong.

I totally agree that most FRFR speakers look awful, to the point that I'm thinkng of constructing a false/foldable fake 4x12 to put in front of mine :)

It would be good to know when we get the offical annoucements, were there 5 things to be announced ??

But I can't deny I'm excited because I'm keen on all of these..

Releasing a non powered cab first makes total sense because most people who want amp in the room have the powered...but it should be relatvely easy to mount the current KPA amp into the cab?

Now where are those forum members at Namm ??

I guess this will make 6.0
    Since we are at beta 5.7, i doubt this is near release.

Not necessarily...in other words it does mean theres a 5.8 and 5.9 to come before 6.0. You can't infer that from the version number...

Funny way of sight, so 1700,- EUR for software only, plus free of charge hardware. I would like to see guys spending 1700,- EUR for Kemper software only.

There will always be different kinds of usage, but check out how many photos are posted by Kemper about Kempers placed in Studios, so this is an important part of the Kemper story. In studios you got your big displays, multiple displays, and I think that changing sounds, effects, rigs, cabinets, and making backups of stored rigs quickly ...... via a big display makes a bit more sence, then walking to the Kemper and turning knobs, switching buttons, ..... on that bad display, ..... making a new storage and pressing buttons by buttons for a new name of the rig ........ ha ha ..... sorry, have to laugh about that.

Yes, when using Kemper as a guitar amp in live situations, the buttons and switches are the right way, ...... but the Kemper is the tool for live and studio works, ...... I guess Kemper is thinking the same about that.

Yes if you think of it that way. Do you not use Mesa Boogie/boutique amps in your studio? They cost way more than 1700euro. I don;t change my rigs every 30 seconds. Have you complained about Mesa's not having a touch screen? No becuase the main functions are to hand and yiou use it as an amp, not a multi effects with gain settings.

I get it if you are uising it like a peice of rack gear...I'm not saying, and I don't think Kemper is saying, its not a studio device, but the focus is on the amp, not the effects. To me its a bonus it has effects.

The focus is on core sound, not 3d displays - if your not happy, why have you not replaced with a fractal?
    I would argue that the ax is more studio focused and less live focused. Doesn't mean it can;t do it, its where the R+D emphasis goes..

Ironically I want an editor but I suspect for very different reasons.

Can we get back to namm pls?

If this is not an editor finally ....... Bought my Kemper in 2012, so 7 years of stupid turning knobs and clicking buttons .... nothing but poor. Kemper is a good tool, yes, but very vintage workflow when you are working stationary with it, and an absolutely low budget display. I can not understand guys that praise Kemper for new reverbs after 7 years of really bad quality reverbs, .... instead of telling them to make the work first that has to be done, like editor and good sounding reverbs since years missing.

Depends upon your point of reference and expectation.

I bought my Kemper as a guitar amp replacement. It was actually cheaper than my Engl with way more convenient and better sound capabilities.

The reverbs were better than any built in amp reverb ( same with the rest of the effects).

I only twiddle knobs on stage for gain and eq, and its easier than an amp.

If I was recording, I would care about the in built effects because I'd use outboard gear/plugins. I would record guitar relatively dry and hence less concerned about reverb quality..

for your use case the reverbs have been substandard, to me they have been fine. Its a bonus they have come up a level to compete with outboard pedals ( strymon etc).

I'll state by saying this isn't a helpful answer I know but....

Use one or another rather than both. I only use performance mode for live. When I browse its connected to RM anyway...

I guess it's not sold as a true FR/FR "monitor", but more a compromise between pure FR/FR and traditional cab, juste for listening/enjoying pleasure.

Yeah this has been around for quite some time ( 6 months?). Initially sounds exciting but looks like its not the "golden bullet"..

And.....the default in RM is not to download beta versions so not only are you not forced, you have to positively ask for it..so people should know what beta testing is for.

I also have to commend Kemper for such a fast turnaround for fixes...

Now back to Namm....who said there isn't a foot pedal version? Why else release a powered cab.....OK maybe stretching the speculation too much ;)

I think we all understand and not mean to try to sway you back ( well maybe :) ) but just explain our journey's.

Please let us know how you get on and keep in touch dude! You are the classy one!

I'm starting to think I'm some kind of wacko because I literally hate 4x12 cabs :D

They are heavy, take up "strutting" space, directional, not quite big enough to balance a rack KPA on top of, force me to have an estate car etc....but they look freckin cool..

I am seriously looking for a 4x12 to empty, slim down/chop up, some kind of way to fold in half, so I can put my FRFR cab inside so I get the look without the weight etc!!