Posts by Monkey_Man

DP seems to be the forgotten DAW in most of these discussions; even SOS has a history of dropping the "Performer Notes" section for extended periods, so, just for balance I'll have to say it:

Digital Performer! Been around since 1984, and is still compatible with projects created back then. It's technically at version 14 (15 soon) 'cause the name changed and it reverted to v1.0 after Performer 6 when audio was added.

I agree with Guenter - please let's not get into a this vs that distraction here; if anyone's keen a thread for "DAW Wars" could easily be created.

It's always helpful to read the recent posts..., here's mine:

"I don't want to bash Yamaha (it's been a joke...) and they produce f.e. great pianos and other instruments, but I never liked their guitars and amps."

Thank you for pointing this out, Guenter; I have to agree with you as I've always found their guitars a little cold-sounding and character-less. Their basses are arguably a whole lot better.

The thing is, I was responding to your statement that, "Yamaha should continue to produce motorcycles, that's where they are really good"; in so doing I pointed out, as if it weren't obvious, that there've always been products across its range that I'd consider "really good". In this context it seemed you were being a little hard on good ol' Yammy.

It's all good, mate. Incredibly "versatile" company, and one I'd suspect is matched by few if any in this regard. The guitars 'though, as you suggested? Meh.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers, Monkey_Man. I generally champion smaller, cutting edge companies, too. But I'm kind of in a minority here as one of few who has often been frustrated with the Kemper experience, and perhaps that colors my point of view a bit.

Ha. You're a balanced dude, man. That 3 weeks' delay I mentioned was on top of the month I waited for the unit to reach Australia, so I totally understand where you're coming from, as I suspect you do I. I'm just cutting them some slack 'cause the product's so great and the company's not huge... but I think you've figured that this was what I was getting at anyway. Ah, if only the world was this agreeable. Thank you for showing the sensitivity you did, mate. No feathers ruffled here (impossible, really).

I don't agree about this statement at all. Yamaha has been building quality instruments since 1887.It's a music company through and through.

Robust, utilitarian as well as fairly cutting-edge mixers too... and instrument modellers such as the VL series modules, and the ground-breaking EX5, the analog-modelling CS6(?) with its aggressive, cutting hard sync, the "silent play" instruments ranging from violin to guitar (nylon) to trumpet, the best bang-for-the-buck and quietest-playing eDrums out there, high-quality saxophones and other brass instruments, pianos, the Clavinova which is legendary... one could go on forever. Few companies have given us so much, IMHO.

Aah... gotcha. Awesome, mate.

Interesting: I play Stingray 5 fretted and fretless, so I definitely won't be needing the extra bottom end!

Good luck uploading them, Steve. Fingers crossed...

"Proportionate to the scope of the company" has no relevance to me, personally. Either the distribution is adequate for the consumer demand or it isn't. I know there are pros and cons (many cons) to a large parent company, but I can't see any way in which faster, broader distribution is a con.

Perhaps, but Line 6 will, and as this hasn't changed, there's no reason to assume it would change (in our completely fictional scenario) for Kemper.

I get you, but real-world experience has taught me that typically distributional reach and stock availability lag behind demand as sales increase and a company grows. It's a practical reality IMHO. On the plus side, to me at least, it indicates (I reckon) that sales of our beloved Kemper continue to grow. I had to wait an extra 3 weeks for mine 'cause the boys were at Music Messe. That tells me that the people who really count are in there getting their hands dirty; IOW, I doubt there's much fat that could be trimmed.

Obviously, and again, this is just MHO, if the company were, oh I don't know, 4 or 5 times its current size, we'd probably perceive a marked difference in both the "speed and bandwidth" of the distributional channels, as well as more immediate availability of stock as more units are cranked out per day / week or whatever.

Perhaps I'm too forgiving, but I've always been more than prepared to wait for quality, especially where "pioneering" products and companies are concerned. Oh, and of course I agree that "faster, broader" distribution couldn't possibly be a con!

Yes, I agree that the availability of the product/s kinda sucks... for now. I'm willing to bet 'though that everyone who wants one and has the dosh to plunk down for it... will get one.

Lastly, I think you may have forgotten that I was responding to a tongue-in-cheek comment that "Yamaha should buy Kemper"; that's the perspective from / context in which I was musing, so no, of course L6 won't change its modus operandi when it comes to posting. I was implying that if Yammy were to acquire Access / Kemper, we'd not see any of 'em here in the forum, or if we did, the boss would certainly not be one of them.

I'm done. This is beyond our control. S'pose I've been making excuses for the company, which is the default position I take in circumstances where I'm not privy to all the facts - in this case, the inner workings of the organisation.

And there it is. Line 6 employee saying theyve been working on it for 6 years. Thats before the pod HD launched. The tone in the above video sounds pretty darn good, but again, i have no faith in line 6 supporting a "flagship" product anymore.

Same here, mate. I literally feel as if I was lied to these past 5 years (the previous 15+ years were good), and you know what? I bloody well was!

I'm actually quite stunned by my own level of distain for the whole palava; I'm doing my best to ignore it or at least not look back. It's completely out of character for me to feel this way; I've never been angry in my life. Not once. This, 'though, just leaves a bad feelin' in my gut and sour taste in my mouth every time I think about it.

Take care, Bob-man.

Thank you, welcome, and +1 on the upload thing!

It's nitpicking, but personally I'd not have boosted the bass; this is an area (50-100Hz) that I at least would have much preferred (as an engineer) to be able to make a decision on whilst mixing. The thinking is that if you boost something and then have to cut it later, it's a double-whammy against clarity and faithfulness to the original signal.

Sorry for that. Keen to get my mitts on bass profiles, so I'm truly grateful for your effort. Well done!

Trust me on this, mate:

1) Re-download the update in case it was somehow corrupted by the Kemper.
    2) Place the kaos.bin file onto the USB stick, but not inside any folder.
    3) Insert the stick and switch the unit on into Browse Mode whilst holding down both Page buttons.

The display will read, "Booting and Burning from USB device".

This isn't the usual way of doing the update, but given the failures you've encountered, I can't see how you could be any worse off by "forcing" the process. I'd say your chances of success are somewhere around the 100% mark.

Send all your beer to:

Mr. Monkey_Man
    Kemper Avenue
    Jungleville
    Australia

Hey, I see my lips a flappin' but who knows what's coming out, eh?

My guess is that you've seen or heard recent demos, which by default probably reflect market expectations, which I'm guessing these days would be EDM-based presets, ready-rolled for the dance floor / rave / trance scenes etc.

The old demos I heard were more "conventional". Things like polysynths, old-school TB-303-esque blips, basses, squeals and squeaks, pads with movement in 'em and so on. This was way back in the day of the Virus, before the "B" and then the "TI".

If you do get to tinker with one, please report back, brother; I'd very much like to hear how it goes... and your verdict.

Yeah! Welcome, sercho!

Good luck with the recordings, and be sure to share 'em as promised, mate.

The tablet will be worth it 'cause RM will open up a whole new Hell... I mean, Heaven... I mean, world for you, bro'.

Hey RedGuitars. Welcome to the wacky world of RSS - Rig Saturation Syndrome.

If you don't have it yet, don't worry. Your noobness has protected you thus far. As the noob factor diminishes, so the RSS grows to compensate.

There's no cure, only a "treatment":
    Sleep now while you can, you lucky, lucky noob, you!

Welcome, RedGuitars!

My lil' brother's had a JVM410H for eons and he reckons there's no better (don't they all?). I s'pose his sound is "traditional Slash", but of course the unit's very versatile. Mind you, he swears by only one of the dirty channels... could be the green or orange crunch. Dunno. He reckons it's ace, anyway.

We looked for it on the RE one night when testing the Kemper, but didn't find anything he was satisfied with. From memory, there was at least one 205 that sounded OK, but a bit wimpy to our ears.

I think Till's CabLab uses the 410H, and I'll buy the pack one day to surprise the young fella (25 years my junior). I think he'll be blown away. You might want to check it out yourself as many, many folks swear by this cab pack, which I think includes the JVM:

Till´s Cablab | Till Schleicher

How 'bout a Dunlop 535Q20 20th Anniversary?

-djh

Is this better than a standard 535Q?

I bought mine (non-anniv. model) in the '90s, and it's never been used (tested once, and it was s-m-o-o-t-h). Still got the plastic film on underneath, and the lube-goo's still completely clean (off-white in colour). Been boxed for 20 years.

I'm a long way from Germany, but my step-dad's German and I have German blood. Does that help, Don? LOL

------------------------------------
    Kemper Wah-settings List
    ------------------------------------

Yamaha designs and builds its own chips. Mr. Kemper designed the Profiler's one/s.
    Yamaha "improves" its operating systems by making them more impenetrable. Kemper actually listens to US.
    Yamaha's build quality and QC have always been excellent. For a "small" company, Kemper / Access doesn't do too badly on this front, IMHO.
    Yamaha's well-established practices and lines of distribution are proportionate to the size and scope of the company, and guess what? Kemper's are too!

The only "major" difference I see is:
    Yamaha's owners / designers and R&D guys won't engage the users in a forum. Kemper's will.

Ha ha ha! What a classic. Good one, chamelious.

Booyah, all I can say is, "Booyah!"

Another great thing about the rice option, apart from the fact that it can, if you want, last many years (one sock is in its 15th year and still going, I kid you not), is that when all's said and done, it's cheap and you can eat it too. I wouldn't recommend eating kitty litter, even if it was well-aged. Mind you, just as some folks eat soap or chalk, others do eat the stuff. Being a diet and health guru, I can assure you that, contrary to modern medical consensus that these "habits" are psychologically-based, they're in fact physiological responses to pica (mineral deficiency). It's no different from a dog that always licks people's hands (minerals from sweat, mainly potassium) or a horse that licks the barn-door bolt (mainly iron). Interestingly, calves being raised for veal require shielding from said bolts or non-iron-containing ones lest their meat turn red. Minerals. Simple. That's what salt licks are for - every farmer knows that.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah... Booyah bro'!

PS: The viable (able to germinate) period for most seed types, based on my experience, is 3 to 5 years without refrigeration, and perhaps 7 to 10 years with it. Bearing this in mind, I'd recommend you change the rice within 5-year blocks. The fact my TLM-103's sock's still got the original rice in it from 15 years ago only proves two things:

1) That I'm in fact not a monkey, but a goose.
    2) That my method is idiot-proof.

I've had OCD pretty badly for decades but have managed, through willpower, to chip away at it and these days, whilst it's always there and I have to consciously control it, it's not noticable to most. I can't tell you how happy I was the day I didn't have to check that the front door was locked 3 times before I went to bed. Now, because I have to avoid the (transmitting) smart meter by the front door, I use the back one to go in and out, and sometimes go months without checking if the front's locked. Sounds trivial, I know, but this is typical of what I consider a major victory for me! LOL

Anyway, these days, there's yet another one that affects most of us, thanks to Mr. Kemper - RSS (Rig Saturation Syndrome).

Thank you Mr. Kemper for uuuggghhh... all these choices! I think..

I'd have to play with one in person. I've heard the YouTubes but it's not my sound. I like the weirdness I can get out of a Motif Rack so I haven't ventured beyond that for my stuff.

Mostly other-instrument fills and pads is what I'm looking for. And Omnisphere does some really good pads too.

Yeah, it might not seem to be "your sound", but you'd be surprised at the versatility of those puppies.

Sounds like you're used to ROMplers, as am I. The JD-990's the most esoteric synth I've ever owned... and a bunch of Wavestations back in the day. These days, I too have Motif (XS) racks and INTEGRA-7 as my main sources, along with a TD-30 brain (played from keyboard!) for drums, so technically it's all ROMpler-based sounds, which, as I see it anyway, limits by definition the level of sophistication possible. Complexity, sure, but sophistication and finesse? Not really, IMHO.

You are so right about Omnisphere; it's gonna be my first VI purchase ever, hopefully late this year. It's been a long wait. I've literally waited since 2000 for the whole plug and VI market to mature as I didn't want to buy in to glitches, obsolescence and vapourware. First plug FX will probably be PSP or something equally rock-solid and from a company that seems to be in it for the long haul.

All that said, the Virus line is special in that it's unique. CK is a distortion freak, and from what I've been able to tell from the sporadic demos I've heard dating back to SOS-type mags' free CDs 10 years (or more?) ago, there's subtle and not-so-subtle use of all manner of distortion flavours built into the factory patches. That seemed to be the main distinguishing factor, to my ears at least. Sophisticated and classy-sounding, they were.

Welcome to the spiritual home of the KPA, Dave.

Mate, I'd just click the "unread posts" link at the top of the page every time you visit, and, as you suggested, add your 2c worth where you feel it'll help folks. It's really just like participating in a group discussion (which it is!); you listen and chime in when you feel it's necessary.

For a truly authentic simulation of real-life, if you have no manners, be sure to shout folks down and ignore their pleas for mercy. LOL