Kemper + Virus

• hi there

finally I got my Access Virus.

And along with the KemperAmp I don´t need much more to record realy great Tracks. Damn nice combination for small studio work.

(okok, the Virus is a damn b***h to get it running. But when it finally runs, everything is dreamycreamy!)

just had to say this.

@CK
    You made one of the best synths on earth
    You made the perfect amp
    not much left what to do, eh? :)

please make a drumcomputer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)
    just happy

• It's always been beyond my budget for synths, but IMHO it's a classic and is truly epic.

Whenever I spot one (usually the TI these days) in an EDM clip (I can only speak for asian pop as I gave up on western stuff years ago), I get excited and feel so proud for CK. The Virus line is go-to for many a trance artist; I've heard it described as the ultimate trance machine.

What we would have done without this man, I don't know. Then again, I can speculate: I'd probably be stuck in an AxeFX menu or still tweaking one of my PODs...

• I'd have to play with one in person. I've heard the YouTubes but it's not my sound. I like the weirdness I can get out of a Motif Rack so I haven't ventured beyond that for my stuff.

Mostly other-instrument fills and pads is what I'm looking for. And Omnisphere does some really good pads too.

• I'd have to play with one in person. I've heard the YouTubes but it's not my sound. I like the weirdness I can get out of a Motif Rack so I haven't ventured beyond that for my stuff.

Mostly other-instrument fills and pads is what I'm looking for. And Omnisphere does some really good pads too.

Yeah, it might not seem to be "your sound", but you'd be surprised at the versatility of those puppies.

Sounds like you're used to ROMplers, as am I. The JD-990's the most esoteric synth I've ever owned... and a bunch of Wavestations back in the day. These days, I too have Motif (XS) racks and INTEGRA-7 as my main sources, along with a TD-30 brain (played from keyboard!) for drums, so technically it's all ROMpler-based sounds, which, as I see it anyway, limits by definition the level of sophistication possible. Complexity, sure, but sophistication and finesse? Not really, IMHO.

You are so right about Omnisphere; it's gonna be my first VI purchase ever, hopefully late this year. It's been a long wait. I've literally waited since 2000 for the whole plug and VI market to mature as I didn't want to buy in to glitches, obsolescence and vapourware. First plug FX will probably be PSP or something equally rock-solid and from a company that seems to be in it for the long haul.

All that said, the Virus line is special in that it's unique. CK is a distortion freak, and from what I've been able to tell from the sporadic demos I've heard dating back to SOS-type mags' free CDs 10 years (or more?) ago, there's subtle and not-so-subtle use of all manner of distortion flavours built into the factory patches. That seemed to be the main distinguishing factor, to my ears at least. Sophisticated and classy-sounding, they were.

• I would love to play with one and get a first hand idea.

It can't be No. 1 in the industry by accident, so based on it's industry respect
    I have to keep an open mind that I don't know what I'm talking about!! ;)

• Hey, I see my lips a flappin' but who knows what's coming out, eh?

My guess is that you've seen or heard recent demos, which by default probably reflect market expectations, which I'm guessing these days would be EDM-based presets, ready-rolled for the dance floor / rave / trance scenes etc.

The old demos I heard were more "conventional". Things like polysynths, old-school TB-303-esque blips, basses, squeals and squeaks, pads with movement in 'em and so on. This was way back in the day of the Virus, before the "B" and then the "TI".

If you do get to tinker with one, please report back, brother; I'd very much like to hear how it goes... and your verdict.